POW mid November hunt

ramhunter

FNG
Getting so close! Looks like the last of the other 3 is not going to back out so it'll just be the 2 of us going. So, I was wondering if anyone knows if a blackie would be possible during this time frame if we tag out on the deer.

Bears are always possible on POW in November, last time we hunted deer there (three years ago) we called two bears in while calling deer in November. One was a dandy that came within 10 yds of us. Good luck hunting!

OP
A

AkReaper

FNG
So how did it go..... putting something together for 19 that sounds just like yours.

Well, unfortunately, we got skunked. Saw to big bucks driving to the cabin at like 7pm that jump in front of the truck, the next day saw 2 maybe 2" nubs bucks but we passed. Didn't feel right, they just stared at us for a long time so we passed, let 'em get bigger. Over the next 5 days we saw 1 buck in the no shoot zone by Klawock and maybe 5 does. We went all over the island; to the top of some mountains, 1.5 miles deep into forests, stop and call for awhile, or sometimes stay for a few hours; it didn't matter couldn't get anything to come to us. The worst part was when we left the island we saw a FB post that someone chot 2 NICE bucks on the side of the road and left them!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Did have 1 wolf jog in front of the truck on the way to the cabin one night! Then the next day we were hopping muskeg fields and another stands up about 25 yards away!!!! Crazy stare down, and he runs away. We had a couple days of pure rain and some absolutely beautiful sunny days.

Lessons learned:

1. We ended up changing plans and jumping on the ferry Sunday morning, changing our flight to Monday morning from the night flight, and got hotel rooms in KET for the night. Just a long travel day, the excitement to start the hunt you don't notice it at the end you do.

2. That dry cabin was very nice. But all the moisture in the air stayed in the cabin and it seemed like no matter what, the wood stayed moist even stacked behind the stove. we battled every morning and night to start and keep fires going. I even brought a box of the small duraflames to help with the fires.

Also, if you go the dry cabin route, download as many movies, books, TV shows to your device. And a massive charger, mine held 10 full charges on it. It is pitch black at 430 pm until about 700 am.

3. I ended up brining 4 Black Diamond Moji lights, awesome!!! Every hunt from now on!!!!

4. I would try to get a vehicle in KET and take it across on the ferry, if possible, buy food there and cook more. We took all dry food and ended up buying food in Klawock and rigging the stove to "BBQ" some steaks. Having more real food would've been nice.

5. Screw the massive ice chests! Next time 1 with wheels and buy fish boxes and try to ship from POW or KET.

6. We stupidly didn't have another COMM source with us and would've been so screwed if something bad happened. Cell service is spotty all over the island.

We already know we are going back in 2 years (planning a float hunt this fall!!!). Next time we likely might do a lodge and take our sons.

Now, don't get me wrong not tagging a deer or bear sucked but this was an incredible trip! Its called hunting not killing, right??? (Isn't there a saying like that for fishing also :rolleyes:;)) I've only been hunting for the last 3-4 years and just the experience of being out in the field was worth it.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
There were some nice bucks killed this year on the island but overall it was tougher than normal.

Getting the game you're after is the goal but its not the only thing a guy takes home from hunting. Glad you had a good trip!

Sorry to hear about your unsuccessful trip but, if it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone. About 15 years ago I did a spring bear hunt on POW and we saw tons of deer, so the next year I did a deer hunt down there. A year and a half later a buddy and I went down for a 10 day, late November hunt. Long story short, we saw well over 100 deer and could not put antlers on anything. I ended up going to Kodiak the following year and have been going there ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AkReaper

FNG
There were some nice bucks killed this year on the island but overall it was tougher than normal.

Getting the game you're after is the goal but its not the only thing a guy takes home from hunting. Glad you had a good trip!

Oh for sure! Day before we left talking to some older local gentlemen in town, said last year was bad but this year was even worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to hear about your unsuccessful trip but, if it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone. About 15 years ago I did a spring bear hunt on POW and we saw tons of deer, so the next year I did a deer hunt down there. A year and a half later a buddy and I went down for a 10 day, late November hunt. Long story short, we saw well over 100 deer and could not put antlers on anything. I ended up going to Kodiak the following year and have been going there ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been talking about going to Kodiak instead but haven't really firmed up on that yet, still got some time.