First Time DIY Drop Caribou

Maverick940

Banned
mproberts:

Don't know if you're going archery or firearm. That makes a bit of a difference in terms of expectation. But in terms of rifle and if you've never killed the barren ground caribou sub-specie, a 320 inch bull from the North Slope isn't bad and a 340 inch bull is a good one. Anything over 360 would be bonus (obviously).

Mav

Yeah sorry, North side. Good to know about the pants. I just feel like I'm not sure what to expect with the weather. I'll still be bringing a puffy jacket as a just in case type item. Maybe I will just bring a lighter pant and a heavier pant to cover all my bases, or just throw in some base layer bottoms. I keep going back and fourth on clothing which normally I have locked it.

Anyone got any tips or tactics for hunting the migration on the north range? Also any idea about trophy quality and what to expect? I know it used to be 2 bulls allowed which probably made it easier to get meat and then hold out for a true trophy, but now with only 1 bull allowed you only get one shot at bringing back the trophy you want. I don't think I will ever get to do this trip again, so I would like to hold out for something nicer but it sounds like it is literally just hit or miss up there with the numbers and trophy quality.

I would take the puffy pants. I use mine as camp pants. Live in them when I'm not hunting. I would also bring a puffy top as well. We were there last 8/21-28 and it got chilly. I would also bring hip or knee boots, anything else will end up soaked. The weather can can great and the weather can suck. We had both but mostly suck on our trip. Be prepared for everything.

As far as hunting goes, just sit tight and watch what the animals are doing. Use the terrain to cut them off. We didn't shoot over 100 yards. Determine what you're looking for in a bull before the trip (tops, wide, big frame, fronts, etc) because most likely you won't see a bull with all of them.

These are the three we killed.

92a4a69f6f2540efae0399c3869074b9.jpg

f93cb387c6df86cff08b1493ee7b4ba0.jpg

ceed3b44e51f1a544a4c2d2d6f0aadd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mproberts

WKR
Thanks for the input! I have found on this forum that I am much better at answering questions than asking them haha. Yeah we are rifle hunting, I almost always bow hunt, but this seems like a once in a lifetime trip and figured we would stack the odds in our favor. I was going back and fourth about brining my bow, but I just read the other day that you need the IBEP course (which I don't have) so I guess that makes it an easy call.

mproberts

WKR
I would take the puffy pants. I use mine as camp pants. Live in them when I'm not hunting. I would also bring a puffy top as well. We were there last 8/21-28 and it got chilly. I would also bring hip or knee boots, anything else will end up soaked. The weather can can great and the weather can suck. We had both but mostly suck on our trip. Be prepared for everything.

As far as hunting goes, just sit tight and watch what the animals are doing. Use the terrain to cut them off. We didn't shoot over 100 yards. Determine what you're looking for in a bull before the trip (tops, wide, big frame, fronts, etc) because most likely you won't see a bull with all of them.

WOW! :D

Yeah we aren't true trophy hunters by any means, but just were trying to get an idea of what to expect. Honestly we were trying to figure out if we should shoot the first young bull that walks by or not, when I say young I envision curled antlers but no top palmation or points. We would easily shoot any of those pictured bulls 100x over. Good input about the pants and strategy. We do like the idea of stalking in for close shots, since we aren't bow hunting that almost makes it feel like you are if you are able to get in real close for the shot. We opted against hip boots and decided to go with wiggy waders instead, not sure if we made a mistake or not, haha. Thanks for the pics and looks like an awesome trip!

Maverick940

Banned
Wiggy Waders will work fine. I prefer hip boots, but Wiggy Waders will get you through this hunt without any problems.

If you all aren't trophy hunters, per session, don't execute the first bull caribou you see. First-timers that are unguided tend to kill too early; for example, killing a 260 inch or 280 inch bull and then going nuts when they see a 340 (lol). If you have 10-16 days, really look at a lot of bulls before killing one.

A puffy coat is probably a must for most non-residents. Puffy pants or quilted pants are not, but that's just my opinion.

OXN939

WKR
If you all aren't trophy hunters, per session, don't execute the first bull caribou you see. First-timers that are unguided tend to kill too early; for example, killing a 260 inch or 280 inch bull and then going nuts when they see a 340 (lol). If you have 10-16 days, really look at a lot of bulls before killing one.

Gorgeous bulls, great advice- Thanks to everyone for the input! Fingers are crossing that this advice is the hard part for our trip. This will, hypothetically, be my first Caribou, so a decent representative bull fits the bill. As was stated before, any of the three animals seen above is a shooter for me in a heartbeat. We've got 8 days to play with, so hopefully within that timeframe we have the opportunity to evaluate and pass on a good number of bulls.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread. We are heading out in 3 weeks to hunt the last half of August north side of the Brooks. We are pretty much in countdown mode, most gear has been shipped and is in the hangar waiting for us. Traveling commercial as light as possible. It will be our first trip to Alaska and chasing caribou for almost all of us, except 1 fella who has hunted them in Canada. Can't wait should be an epic trip. We will be spending a full 10 days on the slope and will be selective and doing alot of glassing prior to killing any bulls. Hopefully we hit the migration right and see alot of critters.

Maverick940

Banned
Good thread. We are heading out in 3 weeks to hunt the last half of August north side of the Brooks. We are pretty much in countdown mode, most gear has been shipped and is in the hangar waiting for us. Traveling commercial as light as possible. It will be our first trip to Alaska and chasing caribou for almost all of us, except 1 fella who has hunted them in Canada. Can't wait should be an epic trip. We will be spending a full 10 days on the slope and will be selective and doing alot of glassing prior to killing any bulls. Hopefully we hit the migration right and see alot of critters.

You'll see plenty of animals, because your air taxi will put you in a good location. Don't expect to see a Quebec/Labrador type of migration, though. Even still, you'll see plenty of animals, no matter which side of the corridor you're on.

A7Dave

FNG
I'm headed up there for a brooks range hunt the last half of August. We are all VA boys as well. I think we are on track with everything, we just sent up all our food ahead of time and have a list of things we need to grab while in Fairbanks. Going to do a final check this weekend on our combined weights and figure out areas we can cut done weight to add some luxury items.

It's hard figuring out what the weather is going to be like and I'm currently debating if I need insulated glassing pants or not. I figure we will be doing a lot of sitting and glassing, and thought it would be nice to slip them over my pants for long sits. Not sure what other guys do, but it seems like you can't really chase migrating caribou so we were planning on glassing and then trying to cut them off. Anyone got any idea how the weather has been up there so far this summer? bugs worse than normal? colder or hotter than normal?

Bring the puffy pants. If it turns cold and windy, and you don't bring them, you'll regret it. They seem needless until you need them.

bmrfish

WKR
Good luck boys! Here are ours out of happy valley a few years back. Was my bucket list hunt and my favorite of all time so far. Not sure what I would say on whether to shoot a small one early or hold out. Caribou are goofy critters and one day you are covered up then the next they are gone.
This year we are headed to south brooks after moose.

2e5dc947b0f4ca113e5163e6fc3f1ee6.jpg

d33cb4304d7755cf3220c34a507b3b62.jpg

bmrfish

WKR
I'm flying with Arrowhead.. I thought let me find the most controversial transporter on here and go with them haha.. I'll let you guys know how it works out! :rolleyes:
Happy wishes your way. Many have had good trips with them.

OXN939

WKR
Happy wishes your way. Many have had good trips with them.

How did those velvet racks turn out? Did you see any bulls beginning to shed velvet while you were there?

Maverick940

Banned
How did those velvet racks turn out? Did you see any bulls beginning to shed velvet while you were there?

Generally speaking, bull barren ground caribou in Alaska begin to shed velvet on or about August 30th to September 2nd. However, I've seen bulls carrying strands of bloody velvet as early as August 23rd. By the same token, I've seen mature bulls that were still packing full velvet as late as September 18th.

bmrfish

WKR

Did not save the velvet - just peeled them. Did not see any shed yet.