Mountain Caribou Question

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
It has always been a dream of mine to hunt mountain caribou and I am looking to making it happen in the next few years.

Can anyone recommend areas where the largest bulls typically come from?

I know that is a tough question to answer but just curious about BC versus the Yukon and NW Territories.

Hard to tell from looking at the different outfitters, they pretty much all claim to have the "best" mountain caribou hunting.

Probably a dumb question but thought I'd ask it anyway.

Look forward to any and all advice and opinions, thanks!

Last edited:

mulecreek

FNG
P8260038.jpg

I took a good one in the NWT. Not sure if one area stands out more than others on antler size but as far as limited competition, you would be hard pressed to beat the NWT.

OP
Fishn4eyes

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
is price an issue?

do you have a budget or want the biggest bull?

I am certainly willing to pay what it takes for a quality hunt in a great area.

I think cost is always a consideration for anyone looking at hunts like this but I don't want to skimp on cost and have it result in a lesser hunt if that makes sense.

I probably won't do it twice (ha, I say that now!) so want to get the best hunt possible.

NWT has some really good ones, but so does a few other places. I'm heading back to NWT next year to hunt with Canol. They've killed some good ones and they are also good people to hunt with.

OP
Fishn4eyes

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
NWT has some really good ones, but so does a few other places. I'm heading back to NWT next year to hunt with Canol. They've killed some good ones and they are also good people to hunt with.

I am trying to book a Dall/Mountain caribou combo with them for '19, we'll see if I can get squeezed in.

Good luck to you, Sir!

Excited to go to the NWT (ARRO) in less than two weeks for Mt Caribou bowhunt. Had 2-1/2 days left over at Canol Outfitters last year after arrowing a Dall. Hunted Mt Caribou on a trophy fee basis out of base camp but did not do any good, although I saw one decent bull up on the mountain the last morning. Couldn't find him when we went up. NWT doesn't have antler point restrictions on caribou, which is nice.

Mt Caribou are my nemesis on BC DIY hunts...as legal bulls have to have 6 antler points up top on one side including back tines and they have proven to be non-existent. Based on my experience...a dedicated NWT caribou hunt would beat a BC hunt. Our numbers are way down from the old days per the census reports I've looked at. Good luck with your quest and say Hi to Glenda at Canol!

JP100

WKR
Id say go north!

Ive only seen a few Caribou in BC, but both the outfits I worked for in BC had pretty low/random Caribou numbers, and low quotas.
Combined that with point restrictions and it can make for as tougher hunt.

I think NWT for a dedicated Caribou hunt would be a better option.

buzzy

WKR
Just got back from Mackenzie mount outfitters for bou and moose. Awesome place and they get some nice ones up there. You would have to be willing to hunt hard and hold off shooting smaller ones to find the one you are looking for but Stan will make it happen.