2018 Caribou-Brooks Range- BRA

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
2 years of planning and prepping has come and gone, and it went by faster than we thought. I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you for answered questions and a great forum for research, everyone had a hand or influence in our hunt whether it was known or not. We went up and had a great time up on the North Slope from Aug 19th- Aug 28th, our transport service was Brooks Range Aviation, and we are very pleased with their services.

By the numbers:

We had a group of 8 (large camp we know), half were bowhunting, half had rifles.

4 were experienced travel hunters, 4 were new to it, me included.

We killed 3 bulls out of 8 hunters. But, the rifle hunters were 75% and should/could have been 100%. My brother passed on some young bulls early in the trip, and ended up missing a bull on day 9 at 257 yards. Our 4 bowhunters went 0 for 4, with 2 opting for rifles in the waning days of the hunt, and missed some shots. Big props to our 2 die hard archers whom did not relent and finished up how they started with their bows in hand, with Huntmaster passing some opportunities on young bulls.

In the realm of potentials, we potentially could/should have been 6 for 8. Not bad for sight unseen hunting with 8 hunters new to Alaska for the first time, and half rookies to travel hunting. Despite going 3 for 8, we all were successful and learned alot, and we all came home with something that cannot be had by punching a tag. It was by far the best hunting trip I have been on, and our group and chemistry was incredible and made the trip that much more fun. 4 more travel hunters were born on this trip!

Our gear held up as expected with very few issues. Weather was interesting with the swings daily. We did not get weathered in our tents for any expected amount of time, we are either upper midwest hard heads used to some nasty stuff sometimes, or we didn't get slammed with what the slope will typically toss at a 10 day adventure there.

Animals were scattered, with some sightings not what we expected. Small cow groups with calves and young bulls were the norm, few mature bull groups....but we did see enough to pick off a couple of good bulls. I think the weather prior to our arrival pushed some animals thru, and it letting up stalled some to come thru. When we did have some weather and temp drops, it seemed to increase sightings and movement. Towards the end of our stay as weather was heading in and cooling off, it looked like it was picking up, with the most action we had on the evening of day 9.

We had a grizzly in the neighborhood,but he was no bother once he figured out what we were, and had some numbers. He gave us a little scare on day 2, when he took short run at 4 of us for a better look.

It was a fantastic trip, and one we would like to do again in the near future. Alaska is an amazing place and the raw beauty of it, is quite amazing. Hard to find the right words. I will post some pics and I am including a short video of our trip. I will try and answer any questions in an attempt to pay back what was given to us. I would recommend BRA to anyone, Judy was great and service was pretty good.

YouTube

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Fishing was fantastic, and we caught numerous grayling with a few in the 18-20 inch range. We had shore dinner 2 nights, followed up a few days later with fresh caribou!

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks for the story, video, and photos! By my count your party went 8 for 8 - 8 people going home with memories that will last a lifetime, and some likely with some new hunting partners for future hunts!

Did I see one tent separated from the others in the video? Was that the food tent?

Always a challenge for me to judge distance in the wide open spaces, what did you guys think of that aspect?

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the story, video, and photos! By my count your party went 8 for 8 - 8 people going home with memories that will last a lifetime, and some likely with some new hunting partners for future hunts!

Did I see one tent separated from the others in the video? Was that the food tent?

Always a challenge for me to judge distance in the wide open spaces, what did you guys think of that aspect?

No, that 2 of the fellas set up on the other flat ground that was there. Flat ground next to the lake was a premium, three tents we slept on a slight incline. It was that or hike up to the gravel bar out back and away from the lake and be exosed to elements and being visible to critters. We opted to deal with slight lean in 3 of the tents.

Yes, the distances are incredibly deceiving. I ran 1/4 mile down the gravel bar on the backside in an attempt to cut my bull off, and still ended up taking a 330 yard shot. I had estimated him at 250 ish yards, ended up hitting him a little low and back....but he went down rather fast. My brother had the laser and I ditched everything in a fast clip lol.

The hills and mountains are also deceiving with respect to distance. Something that appeared half a mile away would end up like 2 miles or better. Something us easterners aren't completely used to, it was a great learning experience.

I will say that hands down, Kuiu gear is worth the money and performed superbly. I was also very pleased with all of my merino wool apparel. I will be upgrading my rain gear. Gander Mnt H2O tech gear isnt quite enough for the rain, my shoulders didnt get wet, but they got damp, despite some venting. I will upgrade to Kuiu Chugach rain gear in short order.

Probably a grizzly kill. We found a big one last year in the same spot that was killed by a grizz. My uncle took the horns home, but we had to kill the grizz to get them.

Awesome hunt. We were up with BRA at the same time as y’all, just in a different camp. We did very well, but had to work our asses off i.e. I killed mine 4 miles from camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Got my bull back from the taxidermist. Very happy how it turned out, pretty good match on the velvet as well.
20190716_213158.jpg20190716_213254.jpg20190716_221840.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Super cool. How was the hiking? I hear about tussocks being a huge pain but some pictures, like yours, it looks like the hiking would be great.

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Super cool. How was the hiking? I hear about tussocks being a huge pain but some pictures, like yours, it looks like the hiking would be great.
Hiking in the tussock sucks, totally sucks. Don't let the pics deceive you, lots of boggy and unstable ground. This pic sums up how we all felt by the end of the trip towards the tussock.

Those whom have been there can relate lol.20180825_160747.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk