Caribou Meatpole

Tekla

FNG
199bf424231c13f80b65fad222c7b276.jpg

Blackfoot

FNG
IMG_0500.JPG

My first caribou. I’m addicted to It now! Used BRA... Widgeon shot a beauty, so did his dad on this trip, hope he posts them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chugaglug

FNG
North brooks range with brooks range aviation, such an awesome experience

Attachments

• D3D34D29-101D-4FEA-8EEA-7B65EAD4C362.jpeg
    D3D34D29-101D-4FEA-8EEA-7B65EAD4C362.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 5981F228-DDBF-4EC7-9BEB-5271F120B1DB.jpeg
    5981F228-DDBF-4EC7-9BEB-5271F120B1DB.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 60

Chugaglug

FNG
I'll be headed out with BRA in late August. Did you need hip boots? How were the mosquitos? Did they require you to bring a bear food barrel?
awesome! we went 3rd week of august last year and had a freeze so very few bugs, which was amazing. Can't say if this is normal or not though. Wore head nets once and used bug spray once. We all had hip boots of some sort, three of us had frog toggs rana II because light, cheap, packable. My husband had muck boots with sewed on chaps. They do most of their drops on lakes, you will need hip boots/waders to load/unload the plane. Might be able to get away with Wiggys. For hiking around though I mostly used my kenetreks w/gaiters. We got dropped in the Noatak National Preserve so bear barrels were required despite us having bear fences. Park service office in Bettles has them for free use. We did bring one of our own as well. If you get dropped outside the preserve they aren't required but still nice to keep food dry and keep the voles off. You will have a great trip!!!!

Thanks for the quick response! How was the hiking? Was it tundra like or more firm? Anything you brought that you think you wouldn't take next time or vise versa, you should of brought something else?

Chugaglug

FNG
we were dropped at what BRA calls "Boundary Lake", a little pothole just north of the park boundary off the Nigu River. We had mostly tundra but were fairly close to mountain slopes. The tundra is tough, to go more than 5 miles on will kick your butt. We covered some ground but ended up killing all our bous within a mile from camp. We didn't need a spotting scope, had 15x binos on a tripod. Our gear fly was money for meat storage and a cooking/hangout area (had light rain pretty much the whole time) but it needs to be freestanding. Ultralight camp chairs were awesome to have. My husband ran an ultralight cot. Rest of us were fine on thermarests. Saw lots of grizz but all well behaved. We did have two bear fences, one for tents one for meat. Brought some peace of mind but probably didn't need them. We ran two seek outside tents, which were great. Brought one stove for one but it wasn't super useful, lack of firewood. Fishing was poor on this lake, so wish we would have skipped the fishing gear. But there are certainly areas that have stellar grayling fishing.