Caribou Hunt with group of 5

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m starting to do a little research for a 2020 caribou hunt. We are likely going to have a group of 5, 2 of which will be 60 and 66 years old respectively. The 66 year old is in great shape but doesn’t have the strength he once had, and my dad will be 60 and was previously shot so has some limited use in one arm and hand.

So the question becomes for this size group and our two “aged” hunters is would we be better off to do a ridge drop off in the forty mile area as opposed to say a brooks range hunt and battle the tundra?

Just curious for those with experience up there and possibly hunting with some older hunters what recommendations you would have?

Right now we are leaning toward a diy transport drop off hunt in forty mile area because i thought above alpine on ridges would be more friendly than tundra for the older guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
Walking on the tundra can be tough at any age. I would think a ridgetop hunt in 40 Mile country would in general provide a little easier walking conditions. Gonna be expensive to shuttle 5 guys, food, and gear into the mountains! Sounds like a great time in the making.

Trial153

WKR
Good luck getting a transporter to shuffle that many in in super cubs in the 40 mile area. Just getting a spot booked has been almost impossible.

There are plenty of places in the Brooks with great caribou hunting and dealing with tussocks is a non issue. I’ve never hunted the 40 Mile herd, so I can’t speak to that, but I have had some really great caribou hunts in the Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input! Yeah the more reading i do it seems near impossible for nabbing a transporter unless your a repeat customer for the forty mole herd.

I’ll keep at the research!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AKBorn

WKR
If I were in your shoes I would call 40 Mile Air on December 15 and see if they have any open slots for caribou hunters - can't hurt to check. I would also reach out to Wright Air in Fairbanks, I think they may fly hunters into areas north of Fairbanks that might work.

Either is doable. i took my 67 year old grandfather on a Brooks range hunt last year. Was tough on him but he got by. He trained (walked/hiked) all summer though. Brooks was nice because we took a large plane and could take some extras for the old man like extra clothes, buddy heater, real food, air mattress. All of which came in handy for him.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord