Caribou - Optimal Number of Hunters

OP
robie

robie

WKR
My only suggestion: Don't make it a consensus hunt in terms of planning. When everyone has a voice and vote it easily gets too complicated and everyone tends to think they should be consulted. One or two guys plan the hunt completely and then let the other guys join and follow the itinerary. I'm almost 100% sure there will be many who disagree with this but I've been there and done it. It's a hassle to customize things for 4-6 people and make everyone happy.

And fewer guys simply mean less potential for things to go wrong. More guys mean you'd better know the others very well and be 100% assured they're the right stuff for such a hunt. I dunno....I'm weird. It's me and a partner for moose or caribou and that's it. I'd only go with more if I knew them personally and had hunted with them on tough hunts previously.

I feel this is great advice no matter what you are planning. I'm the planner I like the details and enjoy working them out, also I have a hard time not being in control of the details that I can control. For this hunt I've told everyone the dates depend on the outfitter and we don't have a choice but gave the range give by the outfitter. Plan on spending 5 to 7 days in the field and allow 10 days for the trip. Could be less but budget 10. I gave a detailed breakdown of the costs of the trip and said to add $1k for flex. Plan on spending 2 days stuck in a tent with crap weather.

Only real options people are getting on this hunt is what they bring into the field. Everything else has been or will be set.

AKBorn

WKR
I would recommend setting aside 2 days before the hunt, and three days after the hunt, for travel and logistics. A notional timeline –

Day 1 – Fly from home to Fairbanks, and Fairbanks to Tok

Day 2 – Drive from Anchorage to Tok (if flying into Anchorage the previous day works better for your party); or, re-sight rifles that were knocked off zero by the flights to Fairbanks/Tok the previous day. Pick up items that were forgotten or misplaced

Day 3 – Fly into field (weather permitting)

Day 4-9 – Hunting days in the field

Day 10 – Fly back to Tok. 40 Mile couldn’t pick up your party until late in the day, so you spend the night in Tok

Day 11 – Drive to Anchorage, or fly to Fairbanks. Make arrangements to get your meat, antlers, and cape back to your homes

Day 12 – Fly home

That’s a notional timeline, but I have had hunts pan out just that way. A lot of factors out of our control on remote hunts.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents: only do that trip with guys you have hunted with before, and preferably you have hunted with them when everything that could go wrong did go wrong. That is the best way to measure how the group will function and how each guy handles stress and discomfort. I am doing a caribou drop trip next August in Alaska, and we decided on four hunters as max capacity. Each of us brings something a little different to the table, but we have all hunted together many times and know we get along no matter what bad luck occurs. Two of our group have extensive wilderness experience; one guy is a expert skinner and trophy prepper and butcher; and my role is planning, logistics and cooking. Has worked well for 20 years.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm lucky that a buddy I learned to hunt with and I go on all out trips together. We plan them together, each of us sticking to our own strong points. I usually research units, tactics, transporters, and what gear we need to bring. He handles travel and shipping logistics. He is a manager for Fed Ex and is better at all that. He also often cooks and freezes our meals for trips since I like his cooking better than he likes mine. We might add more people for a boat based Sitka Blacktail hunt we are looking at, but for most trips 2 is just right. We have hunted and fished together for so many years we just work well together.

Diesel

WKR
All good advice. Only add that pairs work best so there is never an odd man out. Attitude is really important for a fun and success. Five or more is just not smart or enjoyable and will take away from the hunt. Two is best.