New to Alaska DIY caribou

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,
I am planning a caribou hunt with one other guy for next August and I'm trying to clarify a couple of things. We are both in the military, so times for the hunt are not very flexible and we don't have a ton of cash. So those are our limiting considerations. These tags will have to be
- non resistant only
- available to hunt from the road

So first off, I am still a little confused about locations and tag availability. Are registration hunts something I should look into? And how many tags are issued for each registration hunt?

I was thinking about the 40 mile herd hunt and I know that there are registration hunts available to non residents. But those tags open up in July and I don't want to plan everything just to find out I can't get a tag.

We are also looking into the further north herds. Are those realistic to drive to from Fairbanks? I know most of those tags are over the counter, and people seem to have better luck out there.

When we do find a zone to hunt, how do we find a specific location? Everywhere I read just says 'do your research' but no one says where to find that. Are there further out area that we can drive to with less people? How do we figure out where the herd is to get in front of it?

I was wondering if hiking 10-20 miles off the road would get us past other people? Or would we need to go further than that? We really only have the money for a drive in hunt. I know that hunting from the road means everyone else can too, but we're both willing to put in the effort to get out further than most other people. We are both in pretty good shape and I feel are ready for the challenge of the terrain. I have been backcountry hunting a lot and he has done a lot of backpacking, but never in Alaska. I spent a month in Anchorage last summer and did a bit of hiking, but that is the extent of my Alaska experience. I know it is a different beast than the lower 48, but again, I feel like we are both up to the challenge.

Gear info is pretty easy to come across, but if anyone has specific suggestions, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any info you can give me, also feel free to PM me if you would prefer. Thanks again for any help.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
If you’re a non-resident looking to do a road-based caribou hunt in Alaska, you’re pretty much looking at a hunt off the Dalton Highway (also known as the Haul road) that goes north from Fairbanks all the way to Barrow. If you are bowhunting you can hunt off the highway when you see caribou, or hike up to a ridge and glass – but understand that it is mostly open terrain, and getting within bow range of caribou is challenging in open country.

If you are rifle hunting, you will need to hike 5 miles off the highway, through the infamous Alaskan tussocks – think of trying to walk on top of, or in between, a bunch of basketballs on a mattress. I hear that you are in good shape, but you will NOT want to hike 10-20 miles back in this terrain. And, the troopers will ticket you if you shoot one with a rifle 4.85 miles off the highway, so you better make sure you are 5 miles in before you pull the trigger.

It will be a challenge to find a rental vehicle that you can drive on the gravel highway, most rental agencies want you to sign something stating that you will not take the rental off paved roads. And, make sure if you pull off the highway to hunt, you pull clearly off – the Haul Road was built so that truckers could haul equipment from Fairbanks to Barrow and back, and you need to give them the room they need.

Would you be driving to Alaska from the lower 48, or flying?

There are a few other road-based draw opportunities (the Kenai Mountains being one of them), but the draw odds are low and would be low odds indeed for both you AND your buddy to get drawn.

Good luck, whatever you decide! Nothing like a wilderness Alaska hunt.

VernAK

WKR
There is no limit on the number of tags issued for a Registration Hunt but reporting
within a few days is required. If the quota is met, the season is closed by Emergency Order.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thanks guys.

We would be flying from the lower 48. I used to work with a guy who said drive north of a certain mile marker before you try to hunt. But I can't get ahold of him and can't remember what it was. Is there anything like that that you can think of, or is it just get into the hunt zone and you should be good?

Thanks for the info on registration hunts. Are there drive hunt options for the 40 mile herd?

AKBorn

WKR
The road-accessible hunt options for the 40 mile Herd can close in 2-3 days of hunting due to a lot of pressure from the residents. If you're going to come all the way to Alaska, you owe it to yourself to hunt for at least 5-6 days.

I haven't hunted the Haul Road, so not sure what mile marker your friend is referring to. Try doing a little research on Alaska Outdoors Directory, used to be quite a few posts on hunting the Haul Road on there.

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
I'll definitely look into that. Do you gave any advice on figuring out where the herd is? Or are they big enough that we can just go anywhere in the area and expect to find caribou?

AKBorn

WKR
Caribou don’t typically travel in a large herd during hunting season – you’re much more likely to see groups of 5-20. Sometimes you might see a lone bou, and at times you may see a larger group. You will be able to tell where they are by seeing other hunters’ trucks pulled to the side of the Haul Road (if you’re bowhunting). If you rifle hunt and do the 5-mile hike off the road, you will be able to glass for pretty long distances, the country is fairly open tundra.

How many encounters are you seeing on an average day?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this an apply for the tag or an over the counter tag for non residents?

OP
B

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
It would be an offer the counter for non residents. I was trying to figure out if I needed to apply for tags, but the deadline is up and I haven't applied for anything.

The Haul Rd goes all the way to Barrow?

The deadline to apply for permits is up?

Trucks on the side of the road mean caribou?

Hard to find a rental to take on gravel roads?

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
Yea, brain fart on the Haul Road endpoint – my mistake.

Yes, a bowhunter on the Haul Road is likely to see a few trucks parked along the road if caribou are visible where they can be hunted…

I haven’t found a rental car company (out of Anchorage anyway) that doesn’t state “keep the vehicle on paved roads” when they are renting the vehicle – have I been using the wrong ones? There’s also a company that offers Jeep Tours of the Denali Highway, that promotes “we’re the only outfit that allows our vehicles to be taken off of paved roads.” Of course, you have to pay for the pleasure of being driven by a driver. No thanks. 😊