2019 Caribou - Booked!

AKBorn

WKR
Flying in with 40 Mile in late August, always a great day when you confirm an AK hunt! Taking an old high school baseball teammate with me this year, his first time to Alaska.

VernAK, do you guys do separate caribou and moose trips, or go for both at the same time?

VernAK

WKR
Many areas in 40 Mile do not allow both tags in possession simultaneously so most often
it requires two trips. Our usual moose camp is 4-5 hunters so 1-2 will carry caribou tags.

mmcneil

FNG
Congratulations on getting a flight with 40 mile air. I went with them in 2017 for caribou. Get ready for the hunt of you life. Can’t wait to go back

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
Congratulations on getting a flight with 40 mile air. I went with them in 2017 for caribou. Get ready for the hunt of you life. Can’t wait to go back

Thanks. Been flying in on hunts with 40 Mile since 2006; sounds like a long time, until you compare it to guys like VernAK who have been doing it much longer than me. :)

It is the adventure of a lifetime, for sure.

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
We’re you able to book with them without previously flying with them? They told me December 17th is the first day that new customers can book

I'm a repeat customer, been doing the 40 Mile hunt for just over a decade. That sounds like the correct date for new customers to check what bookings are available.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Last year there weren't any spots by the time Dec 17th rolled around . . .

junior

WKR
one of the best hunts ive done. highly recommend as a first alaskan or 'destination' type hunt for anyone from the lower 48

wmp1991

FNG
Would love to have some info and advice on logistics for flying into fairbanks commercially then either driving or taking a charter over to tok to fly out to the bush.

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
I can’t help you with the logistics from Fairbanks – I have a storage unit in Anchorage with all of my hunting gear, and also have 2 sisters and extended family in Anchorage, so I always fly there and do the 325 mile drive from Anchorage to Tok.

40 Mile Air has regular (I believe daily) flights between Fairbanks and Tok, their website may say what the cost is and what it covers (i.e., you and rifle and X pounds of gear). If you are planning to bring more gear than what the standard cost covers, they can probably quote you a price for the extra weight.

You could also rent a vehicle, or a U-Haul van, in Fairbank and drive to Tok. I think driving interior AK is one of the prettiest drives in the country; the only caveat is that you’re paying for a rental vehicle to basically sit in 40 Mile’s parking lot for X days while you are in the field hunting.

EDITED TO ADD: 40 Mile likes you to be in Tok the afternoon before your scheduled flyout day. That way you can settle the remaining costs for your initial flights, weigh all of your gear and adjust if needed, and complete the paperwork they need to fly you in.