Arrowhead outfitters review (Stay far Away from them)

mossyhorn

FNG
No offense to the OP or anyone else that's used this particular service, but... How much research was done in finding a transporter? There are a number of great services in the Brooks Range for caribou. Any internet research at all would have given a number of negative reviews about this outfit. They have a long reputation of stacking hunters up on top of eachother and not following through on their word. Not to mention $2500/person!?!?!?! I didn't pay that much to fly from Fairbanks to the north side of the Brooks (a 2.5 hour flight in a helio or 206) for sheep/caribou/grizz when I was a resident, with one of the best services in the region. I know things are a little more expensive on the north side for fuel but come on!

These guys are flying all day, every day, barring bad weather. They know exactly where the caribou are. So for them to drop guys where there are no caribou, that is plain un-ethical. I've been on the slope, hunting the haul road, when there have been no caribou. It sucks because there's nothing you can do to change it. You can't hunt harder, they're either there or they're not. That's just part of caribou hunting, BUT...a good air service will put you in or ahead of the caribou.

Guys, do your research. If you find an outfit you think might work, get on line and ask for reviews or first hand experience. The Alaska Outdoor Forum is the best resource for all things hunting in Alaska. Tons and Tons of knowledge from the members on that forum as well as a huge archive to search through.

Good luck on your future hunts.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, do your research. If you find an outfit you think might work, get on line and ask for reviews or first hand experience. The Alaska Outdoor Forum is the best resource for all things hunting in Alaska. Tons and Tons of knowledge from the members on that forum as well as a huge archive to search through.

There are still tons of good guys and some really good information on Alaska Outdoor Forum. However, there are also a bunch of keyboard commandos that have turned that site into 24hrcampfire essentially. I cannot stand watching members ruthlessly bash other members and pick apart every little stinking thing they post. Although, in a way I'm glad it turned into the junk show that it has. I never would have found this site if it hadn't been for that.

I will second what others have said, the good outfitters don't typically advertise much.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is our Caribou Hunt Review on Arrowhead Outfitters in the Northern Brooks Range. A key takeaway is that any review you see prior to 2019 is the old ownership. This review is from 2022 with Mike, Dan & Misty.

If you have any questions not covered in the review and would like an unbiased answer based on our experience, we will be happy to answer them.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't heard of or about Howard T since he sold to the new owner, Mike. Glad that guy is out but you can't erase all the shit Howard did to dis service his business name.

Lastly, I haven't heard a bad review about the new ownership either and it's been a couple years.

LB

Here is our Caribou Hunt Review on Arrowhead Outfitters in the Northern Brooks Range. A key takeaway is that any review you see prior to 2019 is the old ownership. This review is from 2022 with Mike, Dan & Misty.

If you have any questions not covered in the review and would like an unbiased answer based on our experience, we will be happy to answer them.
Are you still doing the giveaway for the purchase of a seat or did that already happen? Looked at your previous posts and am not seeing it

Hi guys,
been looking at this outfitter and reading all the review.any lately update on the new ownership and this past season?thank you for any info

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys,
been looking at this outfitter and reading all the review.any lately update on the new ownership and this past season?thank you for any info
Going August 2024 with Arrowhead. I don't know anything about the OP or the old owners, but every interaction I've had with Arrowhead over that past 11 months has been excellent. Misty is awesome to chat with, she sends you loads of information to help you sort out on the ground needs, and seems to be willing to help any way she can. There's a private Facebook page they have that has a decent amount of information and essentially reviews from hunters. "Arrowhead Outfitters LLC Group"

That's my experience to this point, everyone is looking for different things, experiences, and have their own expectations. Good luck in your research and hopefully you find an outfitter that checks all your needs!

Going August 2024 with Arrowhead. I don't know anything about the OP or the old owners, but every interaction I've had with Arrowhead over that past 11 months has been excellent. Misty is awesome to chat with, she sends you loads of information to help you sort out on the ground needs, and seems to be willing to help any way she can. There's a private Facebook page they have that has a decent amount of information and essentially reviews from hunters. "Arrowhead Outfitters LLC Group"

That's my experience to this point, everyone is looking for different things, experiences, and have their own expectations. Good luck in your research and hopefully you find an outfitter that checks all your needs!
Thank you for your reply, it was scary to read what was a few years ago going on with the previous owner.I will definitely check the FB and may reach out to them as well.Good luck with your hunt,

PRSHunter

FNG
I can add my experience as well for others down the line looking for honest and recent feedback vs old.

This was all from August of 2023.

Misty, Danny, and Mike are top notch new owners. I heard it directly from Mike (kind of the main business owner) that the past owners weren't following the rules all the time of being an outfitter, and their customer service was the biggest risk to the company's success. Working with Misty was great - she's a miracle worker and down to earth. Danny is a co-owner and a super cool guy to chat with. He basically manages the flight crew at the lake the float planes fly out of and exceeded my expectations.

I can add my experience as well for others down the line looking for honest and recent feedback vs old.

This was all from August of 2023.

Misty, Danny, and Mike are top notch new owners. I heard it directly from Mike (kind of the main business owner) that the past owners weren't following the rules all the time of being an outfitter, and their customer service was the biggest risk to the company's success. Working with Misty was great - she's a miracle worker and down to earth. Danny is a co-owner and a super cool guy to chat with. He basically manages the flight crew at the lake the float planes fly out of and exceeded my expectations.
I'll second this one - the crew at Arrowhead was great, and Misty is super easy to work with.
A quick note - since they are a transporter they can only offer certain amenities, and one isn't shelter. We were rained in camp for a day or so and had a van and RV to hang out in, while a couple of other parties who shuttled in ended up pretty wet from spending the night under the gathering/supply tents . The second night I drove the Uhaul to Deadhorse and stayed in the Aurora.
The crew at Arrowhead was very helpful, taking the guys with wet gear into Deadhorse to dry clothes and eat at the Aurora.

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
I have never understood things like this. You have an air transport outfit in the middle of nowhere Alaska with a long history of negative reviews screwing people over. Fast forward, new owners buy this outfit yet choose to keep the same company name, associated with screwing people over. We have a few reviews from new guys that appear to have made accounts here just to post positive reviews of how great the company is now under the new owners. Who in the hell is willing to take a gamble with their hard earned money and personal safety to fly with outfits like this?

If these new guys that have posted reviews here are actual clients, and not the owners of Arrowhead making bogus accounts to boost their business, what made you comfortable enough to spend money to hunt with an outfit that has such a long history of negative service?

I have never understood things like this. You have an air transport outfit in the middle of nowhere Alaska with a long history of negative reviews screwing people over. Fast forward, new owners buy this outfit yet choose to keep the same company name, associated with screwing people over. We have a few reviews from new guys that appear to have made accounts here just to post positive reviews of how great the company is now under the new owners. Who in the hell is willing to take a gamble with their hard earned money and personal safety to fly with outfits like this?

If these new guys that have posted reviews here are actual clients, and not the owners of Arrowhead making bogus accounts to boost their business, what made you comfortable enough to spend money to hunt with an outfit that has such a long history of negative service?
Yes, I’m an actual client, thanks for the innuendo.
The guy leading our group did enough research to go in front of the Supreme Court and was confident in his choice and the trip proved him right.
Can a business not change, especially under new ownership? I obviously can’t speak for others and why they made their choices under either ownership, but our trip was a good one.
What research have you done to to make claims that those of us who are posting aren’t legit?

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I’m an actual client, thanks for the innuendo.
The guy leading our group did enough research to go in front of the Supreme Court and was confident in his choice and the trip proved him right.
Can a business not change, especially under new ownership? I obviously can’t speak for others and why they made their choices under either ownership, but our trip was a good one.
What research have you done to to make claims that those of us who are posting aren’t legit?
What research can I do beyond look at the last few posts from guys posting favorable reviews who just joined Rokslide? I don’t know who you are?

Sure, businesses can absolutely change hands and improve. You didn’t really answer my questions though. I’ve been in Alaska since 2008 and have consistently heard terrible things about Arrowhead. If you were buying a company with such a history of negative service, why keep the same name associated with that? And for you, or your trip leader, wasn’t there any concern before booking the trip?

I’m honestly just interested in people’s train of thought when booking hunts in Alaska. I go overboard researching when it comes to my safety and money when setting up trips, and I imagine some guys don’t do that and just throw caution to the wind, to each their own. Glad you had a good hunt.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
What research can I do beyond look at the last few posts from guys posting favorable reviews who just joined Rokslide? I don’t know who you are?

Sure, businesses can absolutely change hands and improve. You didn’t really answer my questions though. I’ve been in Alaska since 2008 and have consistently heard terrible things about Arrowhead. If you were buying a company with such a history of negative service, why keep the same name associated with that? And for you, or your trip leader, wasn’t there any concern before booking the trip?

I’m honestly just interested in people’s train of thought when booking hunts in Alaska. I go overboard researching when it comes to my safety and money when setting up trips, and I imagine some guys don’t do that and just throw caution to the wind, to each their lad you had a good hunt.
Easy, don't go. They aren't hurting for bookings.

You're on here acting like this is the only internet destination. There's gobs of support for this company and the job they have done making the business great. They have their own FB group with nearly 2000 people in it. Suggesting a company with nearly 6000 likes and no complaints made a couple Rokslide accounts to dupe you into hiring them for availability they don't have anyway? You can't be that serious about research if this is the only place you looked and found a post from nearly a decade ago under different ownership.

You aren't doing research, your just throwing feces because you don't know the difference.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider

Actually it's really simple, have a conversation with them. You can tell a lot by the way people talk, just like I can tell a lot from your post.