Katzabu

Dusty2426

WKR
Caribou hunting fall of 2018. Leaving out of kotzebue . My question is is there anyplace to by stove fuel there and if so what type so I can plan which stove to take. I usually use jetboil but not sure if I can find ISO there. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who are you flying with? My air transporter provided iso for me when I got there. I didn't see any for sale when I was there in 15. It's a pretty expensive place for everything so plan head if your staying in town for extended periods of time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
just FYI- its Kotzebue. I would echo those sentiments though about planning ahead and trying to gather as few of supplies in town as possible. Check with your carrier regarding ISO availability.

Stid2677

WKR
The feds have been cracking down on air taxis about transporting ISO fuel. ISO is not available for sale in most villages, coleman fuel and one pound propane canisters are sold in most. Contact your transporter and ask them on their policy, I have seen many cans left by prior customers at transporters, so quite possible they have some. DO NOT try to fly any on commercial airlines, the fines and BS in a PITA, I know a few folks that have been fined by TSA for forgotten cans left in the checked bags.

OP
Dusty2426

Dusty2426

WKR
Who are you flying with? My air transporter provided iso for me when I got there. I didn't see any for sale when I was there in 15. It's a pretty expensive place for everything so plan head if your staying in town for extended periods of time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Air trophy Alaska is who is dropping me in

bmrfish

WKR
Just a curiosity question. Are you hunting the state lands or up north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
A single burner that screws onto a 1lb propane bottle would be a good plan B if it was me.

KJH

WKR
I'm familiar with hunting on my own out of Kotz... I would only use a stove that uses 1lb propane bottles. You can get them in town or from most transporters. As for ISO, I wouldn't count on being able to find any.

I'm not familiar with your transporter, but maybe you can ask them ahead of time if they have any thoughts on who might have some ISO available.

OP
Dusty2426

Dusty2426

WKR
I'm familiar with hunting on my own out of Kotz... I would only use a stove that uses 1lb propane bottles. You can get them in town or from most transporters. As for ISO, I wouldn't count on being able to find any.

I'm not familiar with your transporter, but maybe you can ask them ahead of time if they have any thoughts on who might have some ISO available.

Found an adaptor that allows iso stove to mount on 1lb brilliant

blackdawg

WKR
Can you share link or more information about this adaptor.

OP
Dusty2426

Dusty2426

WKR
How’d the adaptor work out? Seems like a cheap alternative to have just in case

Worked great! Didn’t seem as hot of a burn with straight propane vs the mixed gas of smaller canisters but hardly noticeable. Highly recommended