50# Pack Limit List

I’m not a pilot but I’ve done more than my share of flying in Super Cubs and I’ve never hesitated to ask my pilots about load capacity, weight limits, regs and etc. I’ve heard plenty of pilot talk about what a Cub can do, and I’ve seen them do some amazing things. I once had a pilot who flew 100% of my moose meat plus the head out in one load. The airstrip was so short and tiny it was incredible. Conversely, I killed a bull in 2016 and my pilot took 3 trips to get the meat, antlers and me (plus gear) out of that tight and rough strip.

The pilots here can clarify for me, but I’ve been told more than once about cargo weight ratings on Cubs. A pilot who exceeds the ratings runs the risk of getting checked and then found in violation. If that happens an aircraft can be grounded, or the pilot cited. Most bush planes are carrying all their cargo behind the passengers toward the tail. A tail-heavy Cub isn’t impossible to fly, but certainly isn’t desirable. I get it. A guy weighs 250 and gets the same gear weight as a 170 pounder. It seems like a crock. I suspect FAA ratings drive much of this. BUT I have no clue why some companies limit guys to 50 pounds unless it’s to generate freight loads. Given that aircraft maintenance happens according to flight hours, it seems a bit illogical to add extra hours and maintenance costs. I’d love to hear the 3-beer explanation on this from the guys who enforce the 50 pound limits.

Maverick940

Banned
I’m not a pilot but ....... the pilots here can clarify for me ........ A guy weighs 250 and gets the same gear weight as a 170 pounder. It seems like a crock. I’d love to hear the explanation on this from the guys who enforce the 50 pound limits.

I explained my reasons in an earlier post this morning and it's pretty much the general theme, from a Part 135 certification perspective.

I explained my reasons in an earlier post this morning and it's pretty much the general theme, from a Part 135 certification perspective.

I read that. Seems to be a matter of discretion for any pilot to decide how much to limit weights. I'm thinking a 180 pound hunter and 50 pounds of gear is well under the capacity of a Cub flying into typical caribou country and altitudes.

Maverick940

Banned
I read that. Seems to be a matter of discretion for any pilot to decide how much to limit weights. I'm thinking a 180 pound hunter and 50 pounds of gear is well under the capacity of a Cub flying into typical caribou country and altitudes.

An 180 lb hunter (sans wardrobe) and 50 lbs of gear definitely gives a commercial pilot --- or any other penny-conscious pilot --- piece of mind, in terms of airplane parts (lol).

Mike7

WKR
This may be apples to oranges, but both helicopter crashes/hard landings that my Marines were involved in during training had the common denominators of a fully loaded chopper and unpredictable wind conditions at the landing sight. And one was at an elevation of approximately 7,000 ft with pilots who were used to flying more at sea level (and who apparently were flying too aggressively for that load and elevation). No one died in these crashes luckily, but the aircraft were destroyed.

So, not being a pilot, I would guess some of the regulations are in place to allow for a safety buffer if for instance a tailwind occurs while landing, etc.

It's also one thing for a pilot to put 300 pounds of gear in his plane and go fly.... while another to have a passenger be part of the load. I'm thinking a smart pilot loads and flies more conservatively when a client is part of the payload. Maybe the FAA regs play into this too. In any event I always respect a good pilot's decisions....what else can a guy do?

Maverick940

Banned
I'm thinking a smart pilot loads and flies more conservatively when a client is part of the payload. In any event I always respect a good pilot's decisions./QUOTE]

Regardless whether it's a passenger or freight, wise pilots fly conservatively.

Maverick940

Banned
Things that non-pilots don't realize and that have significant bearing on a pilot's day-to-day thought process when considering his aircraft and associated economics involving said aircraft, are temperature, dew point, humidity, winds aloft (speed and direction), elevation, topography, approach and strip length. Temperature and dew point and relative humidity, combined with elevation consideration, are the primary focus points or predominant aspects involving aircraft, regardless of strip length.

Although there are many valid points here... it's really not that complicated.

Super Cubs came from the factory with a 50 lb limit to the baggage compartment. Screenshot of a Cub manual:

bPAUTIK.png

Aircraft manuals aren't "suggestions". They are requirements. So regardless of it's actual abilities, that's all they can legally carry back there. There are various STC's (legal aftermarket modifications) that up that capacity, but not all cubs have them.

cocky84

WKR
Doing that hunt in a month. 50lbs sounds hard to do at first but after to start figuring out what you really need and stuffing small heavy items in your pockets, its very doable.

OP
A
Thanks for all the replies guys; haven't checked on this thread for awhile. I'm still working on my 50# limit, but more so for my benefit and for future solo hunts and the like. Think it got me sold on wanting a Stone Glacier pack now. DAMNIT:). Love the Kifaru Reckoning, but man oh man is it a heavy sucker (7.5# with 2 medium pockets/guide lid and water bottle holder - all based on weights on the site).

More than certain my dad is wanting to just pay the extra money and do the gear drop for a few more luxury items.

cocky84

WKR
Pm me your email and i will send you my gear list so far. You might have to download gram weenie app to view it though. Not sure

For what it's worth, I've done maybe a dozen or so fly out hunts now. Making 50 lbs in the back is not a big deal IMO, particularly if you have a partner to share gear with. Typically the gun goes on the wing or by your seat, so it doesn't count. Binos and a few other things are worn.

This list is sheep oriented, but for me switching to 40 Mile caribou would mostly just involve moving to a slightly larger tent and adding a tarp for meat cover. Still would make 50 relatively easily, even solo. Stuff some gear in my pockets and I would start to have room for camp shoes, salt, maybe a little real food and other non-essentials. Split the heavy stuff with a partner and the living gets easy.

L2HwxNn.jpg

eabBruW.jpg

At this point I have a fairly well tuned gear closet, so that helps, but 10 years ago (when I was younger and poorer) I was at the same weight by just bringing less stuff. Helps when you just don't own it. :)

For what it's worth, I've done maybe a dozen or so fly out hunts now. Making 50 lbs in the back is not a big deal IMO, particularly if you have a partner to share gear with. Typically the gun goes on the wing or by your seat, so it doesn't count. Binos and a few other things are worn.

This list is sheep oriented, but for me switching to 40 Mile caribou would mostly just involve moving to a slightly larger tent and adding a tarp for meat cover. Still would make 50 relatively easily, even solo. Stuff some gear in my pockets and I would start to have room for camp shoes, salt, maybe a little real food and other non-essentials. Split the heavy stuff with a partner and the living gets easy.

L2HwxNn.jpg

eabBruW.jpg

At this point I have a fairly well tuned gear closet, so that helps, but 10 years ago (when I was younger and poorer) I was at the same weight by just bringing less stuff. Helps when you just don't own it. :)

You could easily shave even more weight off of that list by not bringing any of the cooking stuff, since you’re not bringing any food anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could easily shave even more weight off of that list by not bringing any of the cooking stuff, since you’re not bringing any food anyway.

Ha. Look closer. It's at the bottom. 1.7 lbs/day and this year its going to be for 7 days = 12 lbs food + 38 lbs of gear = 50 lbs. Take out the rifle and binos and I have room to spare.

Last year the guy I went with and I were both sub-50 lbs in the bag with 12 days of food on a super cub hunt. Although it helped that he actually DID forget his cooking stuff. :D Luckily I had mine and we didn't suffer. Neither of us bring much in the way of extras, but at the same time we aren't gram weenies with dyneema and carbon gear either.

I've run the same basic list since 2011, with substitutions as I wore stuff out or upgraded. Seems to generally work.

Maverick940

Banned
Last year the guy I went with and I were both sub-50 lbs in the bag with 12 days of food on a super cub hunt. either.

I've said this in past, but I limit my Alaska hunters to a maximum of 35 lbs each. That's the limit for everything combined: weapon, clothes, sleeping bag, hip waders, optics, backpack, etc. Of course, it's a guided hunt, so they're not bringing camp gear or food or fuel or game bags or salt, or anything of that nature. 35 lbs of personal hunting gear is way more than enough to sustain a person for two weeks in the wilderness.

Ha. Look closer. It's at the bottom. 1.7 lbs/day and this year its going to be for 7 days = 12 lbs food + 38 lbs of gear = 50 lbs. Take out the rifle and binos and I have room to spare.

Last year the guy I went with and I were both sub-50 lbs in the bag with 12 days of food on a super cub hunt. Although it helped that he actually DID forget his cooking stuff. :D Luckily I had mine and we didn't suffer. Neither of us bring much in the way of extras, but at the same time we aren't gram weenies with dyneema and carbon gear either.

I've run the same basic list since 2011, with substitutions as I wore stuff out or upgraded. Seems to generally work.

My bad. I was thinking that you were on a diet or something. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cocky84

WKR
Very nice! I weighed all my gear last night for caribou hunt. Im at 41lbs without putting anything in my pockets. That doesn’t include rifle or binos. I should be close to 38lbs by sticking a few things in my pockets. Never would of thought id be looking for a few luxury items to add.