DIY Alaskan Caribou

oenanthe

WKR
Read this: awesome information. Here for exactly what you want to do.

The DIY Guide to the Haul Road, By Steve Opat - Journal of Mountain Hunting

That's a good article, but I beg to differ when he says there's "one big hunk of American steel and ingenuity that will parallel you the entire way north: The Trans-Alaska Pipeline".

"American steel", that's factually incorrect, although most of us would likely wish it to be true.

The Trans-Alaska Pipeline was built of Japanese steel.

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it's unbelievable how much effort it is to walk in tundra. I went about 2 miles in 5 hours or so but it was uphill and maybe I'm just a puss. 5 miles out and back packing a bou will be an experience not soon forgotten. I honestly doubt few guys will be able to do it multiple days in a row no way I would sign on for that adventure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I killed my caribou a little over three miles from camp. It was a ton of work getting it out because of the tundra. It is like walking on a giant sponge with basketball shaped sponges everywhere. It takes it out of you, especially with weight on your back. Also, make sure you have a way to dry out your clothes and I'd recommend clothing options that are quick drying even if you have rain gear. I've invested in Sitka gear since my hunt. It rained/snowed most of the time we were there and our biggest mistake was not having an effective enough way to dry out our clothes. May not be as big of a concern if you're hunting from the haul road. 28166776_10106000099634190_8521605863763028796_n.jpg

Man guys thanks for all the great information.

Anyone have any success stories or photos.

Is 5 miles in the tundra that much tougher than 5 miles through down timber up a mountain drainage?

Yes it is that much tougher. I've done the 5 miles across the tundra twice. First time was horrible and second time I had forgotten how bad it was...there will not be a third time. Take Nick's advice and just bow hunt...he knows what he is talking about.
We went out and back a couple times and hauling 65-75lbs of meat plus gear is not fun in tundra. The one day we did 13 miles of tundra in about 16hrs total and I couldn't walk the next day until noon.
I would hunt with three guys if you can...one caribou between two guys plus camp/gear is just a bit too much. That is roughly 100lb pack each. Three guys gets you down to 70lbs each and that would be waaaaay better!
Once again...I strongly suggest just bringing the bow.

The furthest I've packed a caribou is around 2 miles. All things considered, that's about the limit of what I am willing to do on the tundra. Now, if I was hunting a giant bull all day and he happened to end up further than that, I'd certainly shoot him and just take care of business, but for a meat bull or a random 300" bull, not happening.

One caribou split up between two people isnt all that bad, but it's still pretty heavy. One caribou solo, that's another story. Doable for certain but it's not much fun. We killed two with three people a few times and even that is about as much as I'd like to carry at once. Worst part about shooting one five miles out is that unless your with another person or brain dead, you'll likely have to make two trips. That is a minimum of 20 miles on tundra. haha No thanks...

JonnyB

WKR
Much of the information that is key has already been put out. I will add that I used large rock formations along the highway as a place to "hang" my meat. The rocks were cool to the touch and I used my raingear to act as a tarp to keep the area shaded. A buddy and I went for 10 days and man was it a blast. I have hunted road systems quite a few times but something about this hunt is so much more challenging. I shot a spike bull from 72 yards in early August with only 3 days left on our trip. The stalk was incredibly slow and I had my face in the mud dragging myself as low to the ground as possible. Make sure your bow is completely checked over twice before you head out and keep in mind you will likely be wet to some degree the whole hunt. My suggestion is take the bow, troll the roads back and forth, and chill as much as possible because when the time comes for you to make your stalk/pack out your bou, it will absolutely smoke you.

JonnyB

WKR
Also, as far as bears are concerned, there are bears up there. We had zero sightings but were given a heads up by the pipeline security that he saw a brown bear about 3 miles from where we camped that night. With it being "flat" up there you have quite a bit of visibility and it isn't as sketchy as camping with your meat hung in the more wooded and brushy areas.

OXN939

WKR
The furthest I've packed a caribou is around 2 miles. All things considered, that's about the limit of what I am willing to do on the tundra. Now, if I was hunting a giant bull all day and he happened to end up further than that, I'd certainly shoot him and just take care of business, but for a meat bull or a random 300" bull, not happening. That is a minimum of 20 miles on tundra. haha No thanks...

Just ran a 15K on a treadmill because it was 109° here today... don't tempt me with a good time.

But seriously, anyone been up the Haul road yet this year and have reports on conditions and/or game sightings? 15 days til show time.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Someone is getting ready for the tundra. I haven't seen any reports on the haul road yet. You will have to report back after your trip. Hopefully success is in your future.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a map or what have you with land ownership to share so I could look at? Is all the land up that way public access or is some private mixed in? On another forum I read you may see bou around the 300 mile mark but you need to be at the 325 mark before you can get walk in access.