Parka for COLD sits.

I spent a lot of time in a LPP this past fall and winter. Several buddies did as well. I like it, a lot. BUT, it is not an “oven”. It uses 3.6oz of Climashield Apex insulation- the same as their 20 degree sleeping bag. *snip*

This is only sort of true. Both the sleeping bag and the LPP use 3.6oz Apex, but the bag uses two layers of 3.6oz Apex and the LPP uses only one.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I was wondering how they would get a 20 degree rating out of 3.6 Apex- for quilts/bags it’s normally a 40-45 degree rating (for 3.6)

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Lots of good feedback guys. I appreciate it. I wish I had an opportunity to do a "hands on" with the LPP. That Arc’teryx Cold wx SVX parka,looks like the cheese! But,it's in Incinerator country for price. I should just bite the bullet and order an Incinerator,but tags,travel and accommodations are expensive enough. Fall is still a ways off.

mcseal2

WKR
I wonder if the difference in how warm people consider the LPP is partially if it is their outer layer or not? I don't consider mine windproof, decently wind resistant but not wind proof. I'm always putting a Sitka Mountain jacket or rain gear over it on a cold windy ridge when glassing. Maybe it's closer to the stand jackets if you layer it that way. Just guessing, I have not used any of the super warm jackets available now. I still have a Russel APXG2 lvl 5 jacket and pants or the Cabelas windshear wooltimate stuff I layer under if it's ridiculous cold. Can't walk any distance in those suckers without cooking though. Honestly thinking about it now I don't remember the last time I used either, the layers and serape always are enough here.

The Aegis extreme with the Aegis Bibs is a warm setup but its bulky plus it has pockets unlike the Kifaru! Not as much noise either. For me the fit is better as well

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you ever get this figured out? I’m very interested in a lighter weight serape

he's supposed to be working on it this week; hoping to have something soon :) going to be too late for this season unfortunately

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
I see this thread is a couple of months old, hopefully the OP has this figured out by now! Just thought that I'd echo what others have stated: I've been really happy with the Kifaru LPP - very warm, durable, but also a bit bulky. As the temperature drops, I've noticed that it tends to get noisier/louder when moving. Not something that I would wear in a treestand during colder temperatures.

wesfromky

WKR
I had the sanctuary last year, but my feet and hands would get too cold to bowhunt way before hitting the temps it was designed for, and I was mostly hiking into public with sticks and a platform. Sold it and got the woodbury, which I have been using this season. With the right layering, it has been usable from windy, damp, mid 20's up to the 40's. I bought a Sitka hand muff and boot blankets for rifle season, and might reconsider the sanctuary, since the woodbury, even with a few layers under it, was a bit chilly for me, and I am hunting private with fixed stands and blinds more. I also just got a LPP a few weeks ago and it is super warm, usually just a light layer when I walk my dogs in the morning.

The one thing that I will mention beyond the temp ratings, is the FirstLite jackets are way more stand/blind hunting friendly, vs the LPP. The articulated sleeves, two way zipper, and esp the pocket layouts make it nice to have. Things like a mesh kidney pocket for a hand warmer show the thought put into the design.

For the Whitetail stand in very cold weather I use the Cabela’s MT050. Can’t travel far in it but if you get cold in it sitting on stand you need to go home. It will be on sale soon.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the MT050

Cabelas used to offload it for cheap during black friday/post Christmas sales. Don't know if that's still the case with the Bass Pro acquisition

tonedover

FNG
I'll be using First Lite Woodbury but with 2 layers of wool and a puffy underneath.

I have previously used an old Mountain Hardware sub zero down coat -they weren't as expensive 15 years ago lol -- I encourage folks to look at non-hunting companies for extreme cold options - many companies make greens and browns that would be ok for stand hunting / glassing and still be an "every day wear" piece. Otherwise I have to echo the above recommendation for the Sanctuary coat / bib - I'm really into first lite right now and in my own personal opinion find fusion to be the most versatile of the "modern" macro+micro camo patterns on the market. Not that the animals really care... lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
For stand hunting I'm surprised no one mentioned the Fanatic jacket from Sitka. That thing is super warm, wind stopper, quiet, hand warmer pocket, harness pass through, and... on sale now lol. The grunt tube pocket, range finder pocket are well thought out. Don't want to hike in it at all though. The next step up is the Incinerator. I have an incinerator hat and if I ever lost it I would replace it immediately. I can only imagine how warm the incinerator or blizzard jackets would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
+1 for the MT050

Cabelas used to offload it for cheap during black friday/post Christmas sales. Don't know if that's still the case with the Bass Pro acquisition

The 050 is awesome for cold weather sitting. I spent 5 days in a row boat on the Missouri and never got cold. With nighttime temps of 7 to 15 and daytime temps of up to 25 I was cozy with my warm coat.

KurtR

WKR
For stand hunting I'm surprised no one mentioned the Fanatic jacket from Sitka. That thing is super warm, wind stopper, quiet, hand warmer pocket, harness pass through, and... on sale now lol. The grunt tube pocket, range finder pocket are well thought out. Don't want to hike in it at all though. The next step up is the Incinerator. I have an incinerator hat and if I ever lost it I would replace it immediately. I can only imagine how warm the incinerator or blizzard jackets would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The incinerator jacket and bibs are legit i use it coyote hunting here in sub zero weather. Hike out put on and call the coldest was -25 with wind chill and it kept me nice and warm feet not so much

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I do a lot of glassing in November and don't really love a big bulky jacket. Been using the Anorak from Kryptek the last two years. With a with a decent base layer, lightweight down jacket, and the Anorak I can sit a long time in very cold weather. Don't know how long Kryptek is keeping it around but here is a link. Oh, and its very quiet even when is 10 degrees out.

Anorak Camo Fleece Windproof Waterproof Hunting Jacket | Kryptek

I do wish they would redo the jacket with Primaloft gold and move the pockets a little.

jmden

WKR
Permafrost Parka--

Permafrost Down Parka Men's | Montbell America

My brother and I have eused these for several years. Alpine mountaineering is their market, which I used to do quite a bit of so always check those companies as well before deciding. Very warm and light for what it does. Gore Windstopper outer, 800 fp down, box construction (very key), very good zip off hood, etc. Did not find another parka on the planet at the time that combined the features this did. Not the cheapest, but when I'm cold and I put this on, I'm happy I paid for it.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Permafrost Parka--

Permafrost Down Parka Men's | Montbell America

My brother and I have eused these for several years. Alpine mountaineering is their market, which I used to do quite a bit of so always check those companies as well before deciding. Very warm and light for what it does. Gore Windstopper outer, 800 fp down, box construction (very key), very good zip off hood, etc. Did not find another parka on the planet at the time that combined the features this did. Not the cheapest, but when I'm cold and I put this on, I'm happy I paid for it.

I just bought their 2017 permafrost on their closeout site. Can’t imagine a warmer jacket, especially for the weight. So comfortable too with the soft fleece lining around the hood and neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk