Parka for COLD sits.

The incinerator jacket and bibs are legit i use it coyote hunting here in sub zero weather. Hike out put on and call the coldest was -25 with wind chill and it kept me nice and warm feet not so much

How quiet are these? I've looked at them but the reviews have me worried that they are too loud for whitetail hunting especially bow hunting

freebird

WKR
As I have gotten older the old circulatory system has slowed down and I find I get cold easier. For the longest time I kept thinking I would get the LPP, but after having read these reviews I'm unsure now. I know Tanya Avery loves her's. I've seen some crazy expensive jackets, like the feathered friends ones that are like $800 .....If I need that to hunt in then its better that I stay home...lol.
The few that stand out for me are the LPP, Sitka Incinerator, First lite Sanctuary. Are there any others I should take another look at???

tlkaetz

WKR
I own both the Kifaru LPP and the Sitka Kevin Down WS. I find the Sitka Kelvin Down WS to be the next level of warmth compared to the Kifaru LPP. That being said I love both jackets and find them both very warm. I also love that I can layer my Sitka Kelvin Down WS over my Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody when I get really cold.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My take on puffy coats:

Rab Xenon - great running jacket for winter months, not all that warm

Mountain Hardware Compressor - probably one of my all time favorite, warm enough for fall hunts, cut was perfect for me, good all season, not great for sitting still

OR Ferrosi Hooded - warm and quiet, but it drives me insane that the inner sleeve material is "grabby", it's my knock around town jacket

Kifaru LPP - has replaced my Mtn Hdw Compressor since they don't make it anymore, great glassing jacket but it's noisy for a tree stand, also the inner sleeve material pulls out the end of the cuff when putting the coat on, not a big deal but it's annoying to me

Kryptek Aegis - Pretty quiet setup until it gets really cold, even then it's only mildly crinkly. I own the top and bottoms and use them a lot for my bait station and for winter hunts. What makes them really warm is the bib combo, it keeps the cold air from getting to your back while sitting. I still get cold in a tree stand below freezing when sitting overnight for bears. Bang for buck when they have their 30% off sale, it's awesome stuff. I do hate the leg zipper on the bibs, it has three zippers per leg and they don't work right.

North Face 900 fill Gore-Tex shell - warmest jacket I've ever used, it's older but similar to Cryos Expedition Jacket. Noisy but I've never been cold in it. Windchill doesn't seem to make one bit of difference to that coat either.

My suggestion is to take a Thermarest Z-Lite. You can get away with a much lighter insulation setup if you do. It'll block the direct contact heat loss and compensate for the loss of loft at pressure points. If you really want to get crazy with it, take a sleeping bag. The Kryptek Aegis top and bottoms combined with my Marmot CWM bag let me camp without a tent overnight on a wolf killed moose without getting cold in negative numbers.

8DQLsnj.jpg

KurtR

WKR
How quiet are these? I've looked at them but the reviews have me worried that they are too loud for whitetail hunting especially bow hunting

Its brushed so pretty quiet but i think it would work in a blind for sure and a tree stand maybe i dont spend any time in tree stands so hard to say for me

Has anyone used the makenzie mountain parka (I think that’s the name) from midway USA? It’s event withlike 200 grams of primaloft. I have been thinking about a good parka for whitetail hunting in the fridged cold of northern Michigan and it would be nice to not have so many layers but just a good overcoat maybe something I could also ice fish in and stuff like that.

philys21

FNG
For stand hunting I'm surprised no one mentioned the Fanatic jacket from Sitka. That thing is super warm, wind stopper, quiet, hand warmer pocket, harness pass through, and... on sale now lol. The grunt tube pocket, range finder pocket are well thought out. Don't want to hike in it at all though. The next step up is the Incinerator. I have an incinerator hat and if I ever lost it I would replace it immediately. I can only imagine how warm the incinerator or blizzard jackets would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I second this, warmest jacket and bibs I have used. I have never wore more then a heavy base layer and have been warm for hours in blizzard conditions.

freebird

WKR
Am still not any closer to making a decision on a good cold weather jacket. Narrowed it down to these. Kifaru LPP, Sitka Incinerator, Sitka Kelvin down WS hoody, First lite Chamberlin, Kuiu super down pro, Kryptek....haven't seen one that trips my trigger.
Might make a trip to REI and see what they have.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey gang. Looking at a couple cold weather coat/parka options. What's the consensus regarding the Lost Park,and the Aegis Extreme? I read a review here on the forum for the Kifaru parka. Good analysis. I'm not super concerned with how packable either one is. More concerned with how warm and durable either is. Quietness may be as,if not more important. I have my Colorado deer tag in hand,and an elk hunt planned for 2019. Aside from that it will see much more time on close quarters eastern deer stand. Your input will be much appreciated.

For out west I strongly recommend the Kelvin Down WS hoody. It is a Gore wind stopper and is made for sitting in the bone chilling wind. I have personally used this myself and I can honestly say I have never been so warm.

I would also say the Incinerator jacket for eastern hunting. It will be a Gortex Jacket in the Elevated II pattern. I was able to use it last year in Nebraska on a white tail hunt. It was -10 out and I was completely dry and warm.

wseidel

WKR
I realize you're primarily looking for a jacket recommendation but something I've used to stay warm while on stand for the last 15-20+ years is the Heater Body Suit. Again, this is for a deer stand situation or a location where you don't need to move around too much - but I simply offer it for your consideration. The rifle deer season in northern Minnesota is often extremely cold...coldest morning this year was at least 5 below - and I was warm. I'm typically a "before dawn" to dusk hunter and this item allows me to hunt in comfort the whole day. I put my food and thermos inside (alongside my legs) and this helps contain human odors as well. Hope this helps...

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Frontier Gear of Alaska Super Cub Jacket. Super warm. Bomb proof material. Waterproof. It is a bit heavier than the LPP but the fact that it is waterproof too sold me on it.