Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody vs First Lite Chamberlin

My as well through the new Kryptek Ares Jacket in the mix. This is a 800 fill goose down, but I don't know the fill weight. Also a few ounces lighter than the sitka and FL.

Etexag

FNG
I am working on deciding between the First Lite and Sitka WS Kelvin. It looks like the Sitka goes on over your clothing. Will it fit on bellow my clothing or do I need to downsize. I wear a large on everything. I almost always wear a shell over my down to prevent snagging, as I am a bull in a china shop walking though brush. Wish the Sitka had a solid pattern as well.

I typically wear a Core base layer, JetStream vest, down, and then 90% soft shell and or rain gear. All is Optifade, so want optifade or solid.

I had the Kuiu Superdown and it fit perfect in a large under my shell, but it was too close to my Arcteryx Atom, so I sold it.

I typically this setup for stand hunting, big game cold weather mountain hunting and prairie goose hunting. Worked well for sub zero elk hunting, but could get chilly sub zero stand hunting with the wind blowing.

So which is it? First lite or Sitka

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I can't comment on the First Lite, though from this thread, I understand it is a level warmer, but I can't personally say.

But on fit of the WS, I just got mine in. I wear a large in most stuff Sitka, though could get away with a medium extra tall (I like an XL for length, and somewhere between a large and medium for girth.

My large will easily fit over my clothes. In fact, I was able to put my size large Kelvin Light under the WS pretty comfortably. I even put my son's Medium WS underneath my L WS, and it was doable, but a little snug.

When I went to order mine, Sitka told me that they were sized with the intention to wear lots of layers underneath, so not to size up. Definitely agree with that recommendation.

If it would help, let me know and I can pull some layers over it. I have a Timberline in XL (needed the length, but it's a bit baggy around the waist), and also a Cabelas Space rain in L that I could try on if that helps.

Etexag

FNG
Thanks! Thats making me think I need the Medium as I want to wear it under and not over my kit.

Jmort1754

WKR
Does anyone know how the chamberlin fits I typically need a 3x however firstlite says the chamberlin fits big..

I can wear plenty of layers under the large chamberlain and I am typically a large. So I would say it does run a bit big.

My as well through the new Kryptek Ares Jacket in the mix. This is a 800 fill goose down, but I don't know the fill weight. Also a few ounces lighter than the sitka and FL.

I found out the fill weight of the Kryptek Ares. 150g/5.2oz. So, although it would be warm, its still have the warm of the WS Kelvin.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Completely stationary, with the under layers I stated- it’s about a 40 degree puffy. Maybe.

The Cerium Lt. has 3.3oz of insulation... The Sitka KD WS has three times the insulation. The Arcteryx is a great piece for its niche, but it and the Sitka Kelvin Down, am day the Chamberlin aren’t in the same niche.

This is is why it’s a misnomer to say “warm for its weight”. That literally doesn’t tell anyone anything. You have to look at total fill weight first, then what kind of fill, then look at the face fabrics to get an idea of how warm a puffy will be.

How would you rate the Montbell Permafrost? I just bought one. 9 ounces of 800 FP down with a windstopper layer. Weighs about 23 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How would you rate the Montbell Permafrost? I just bought one. 9 ounces of 800 FP down with a windstopper layer. Weighs about 23 oz.

Excellently.... grin.

It’s very close to the Chamberlin, though still not quite as much fill. The Sitka Kelvin WS is about the same.

I have the permafrost though I don’t have any experience with the other two. So this is 100% kool-aid. But I can’t imagine a warmer puffy. I wore mine 2nd rifle in CO and early November in MN for whitetail in a deer stand. Whatever body parts are inside of that coat will not get cold. Only con is it’s got a very robust outer shell for wind and precip resistance that can get loud. You also won’t be layering anything over it.

I am still undecided on the Sitka Down Kelvin WS because I probably do more early season high country backpack style hunts than I do late season and I feel this may be to heavy of a jacket for early season high country.

jmav58

WKR
I am still undecided on the Sitka Down Kelvin WS because I probably do more early season high country backpack style hunts than I do late season and I feel this may be to heavy of a jacket for early season high country.

I've used the kelvin WS here in Montana for post rut elk hunting in late November and would agree that this seems like it would be overkill for early season high country. You could just unzip it a little, but I don't think it would be enough to make it comfortable. That coat is like a furnace.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I got to use my WS in Colorado second season and frankly was a little concerned it was not as warm as I expected. I think that the reality is that it is a bit large around for me, so there is a lot of 'dead air' that leaks in an out. I say that because just this month, I was also in West Texas where it got down to 16, and I had a light BL, Core heavy weight, timberline, and then kelvin light on, under the WS, and even with the wind I was super warm, unzipping the WS and the Kelvin while sitting on the ground perfectly still for quite a while.

So that setup, even for stand hunting in the cold and damp, worked great for me. And as the day went on, I just stuck stuff in a little pack when we went hiking after the mulies.

Jeepers87

FNG
Wife picked me up a WS for my Nov NM Mule Deer hunt this year. Wore it when glassing in avg temps of 15-25 degrees sitting in the mornings and evenings over my firstlite light base layer and sitka heavy weight hoody and I was comfy even in the wind. Like most have pointed out it is not a hiking around in jacket unless maybe you had low temps and heavy winds. Packed really small in my pack when out ridge walking in the day time as well. It does run a little bit larger though. I have a large size in most my gear and this easily in large over top of my 3 layers could have comfortably covered another heavy hoody or jacket without much discomfort. Worked nice in my ground blind a few weeks ago here in Oklahoma with our first snow and again, no complaints.

Im also interested in getting one or the other. Anyone have a pic of them wearing the Sitka jacket for reference? I don’t like to wear a ton of other layers so I’m considering sizing down one size

How does the Kelvin Down WS hoody fare against the Kuiu Ultra superdown? I've gotten cold in my superdown before and I'm wondering if the Sitka wouldn't be a better option?

tlkaetz

WKR
How does the Kelvin Down WS hoody fare against the Kuiu Ultra superdown? I've gotten cold in my superdown before and I'm wondering if the Sitka wouldn't be a better option?
There isn't even a comparison between the two items. The superdown pro would be a more similar comparison and it isn't even in the same ballpark as the Sitka Kelvin WS or the FL Chamberlan.