Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody vs First Lite Chamberlin

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Which would you buy for late season hunting and why? Is there an even better option than either of these?

I am leaning towards getting the Chamberlin because it looks warmer but it doesn't seem very water resistant and it looks like it would be difficult to get a rain jacket over it.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Which would you buy for late season hunting and why? Is there an even better option than either of these?

I am leaning towards getting the Chamberlin because it looks warmer but it doesn't seem very water resistant and it looks like it would be difficult to get a rain jacket over it.

By far the Kelvin Down WS Hoody. It obviously has the gore wind stopper in it so it will block the wind. It is made out of down and has a DWR finish so it will brush off moisture, but it is not water proof. I'm not familiar with the Chamberlin so I can really compare, but from my own personal use of the Kelvin Down WS it is amazing. I haven't heard any negative things about the product.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have both,
Puffys like a lot of things are very subjective, for instance I run warm. So my comfort might not be yours.

The Chamberlin is much warmer, it’s a pure sit and glass/stationary jacket. It blocks the wind better than I thought it would. But it’s not waterproof at all nor could it take much brush busting. Best used in snow from November on. I tried hiking in this jacket around 10-15 degrees and over headed quickly.

The Kelvin WS is very versatile, windproof and can take some brush busting and it is very warm. I tried hiking with it on at 22 degrees while bear hunting but over heated very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
By far the Kelvin Down WS Hoody. It obviously has the gore wind stopper in it so it will block the wind. It is made out of down and has a DWR finish so it will brush off moisture, but it is not water proof. I'm not familiar with the Chamberlin so I can really compare, but from my own personal use of the Kelvin Down WS it is amazing. I haven't heard any negative things about the product.

So if you aren't familiar with the chamberlin how can you say "by far the kelvin down hoody"

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this back up to see if anyone else has any feedback as I'm comparing the two right now as well. Am leaning towards the Sitka jacket as it seems to be able to take a bit more of a beating than the Chamberlin. Am hoping it can double as a late season big game jacket as well as duck blind jacket for those cold mornings on the river/field when it's not snowing.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Double bump here, same kind of question. Last year in Colorado, was pretty warm, but there were moments when I thought I would need a little more warmth if the temps were 10 degrees colder than what I had (kelvin lite and a bunch of layers). Also, do some stand hunting, and last two years, been caught sitting in the teens with wind for hours on end.

So considering this, or maybe the LPP or the Chamberlin. Do prefer something that is tough (LPP) and very water resistant. I don't have good rain gear (Frogg Toggs in the pack just in case, do have jackets with DWR's too). Definitely want packable and versatile.

My other concern is feathers and I don't get along too well, but I am told this is not an issue with modern down products.

I am also considering the Kelvin down WS, but also am looking at Arc’trex cerium LT hoody as it’s 850 fill down and only weighs 10oz. I’m sure it’s not as tough as the Kelvin down, but I don’t bust brush I’m a puffy anyway.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
catorres1 said:
So considering this, or maybe the LPP or the Chamberlin.

The LPP and Chamberlin are not comparable. Too completely different levels of insulation.

I am also considering the Kelvin down WS, but also am looking at Arc’trex cerium LT hoody as it’s 850 fill down and only weighs 10oz. I’m sure it’s not as tough as the Kelvin down, but I don’t bust brush I’m a puffy anyway.

As above- the Sitka Kelvin WS and that Arc’teryx are not comparable at all.

These two aren't in the same category. The Cerium is a lightweight insulation layer that will not provide much wind/weather resistance (I have one). The Kelvin WS is a relatively heavy and burlier jacket that will block wind and be very moisture resistant.

I can toss a Patagonia Houdini shell over the Cerium for another 4 ounces and it can be a pretty featureless but versatile combo. For late season a lot of people aren't going to be backpacking so the extra features are more likely to be worth the weight on stuff like this.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Well, hope I made the right choice, ended up going with the WS. I tried on one of the arctyrx hoodys, they are light for sure and seemed very warm. But I wanted something that could stand alone in the weather.

As for the LPP vs the Chamberlain vs the WS...Formidilosus, can you expand on your point about them being at different levels of warmth etc.?

Wanna see if I chose correctly, can still switch out.

Thanks!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well, hope I made the right choice, ended up going with the WS. I tried on one of the arctyrx hoodys, they are light for sure and seemed very warm. But I wanted something that could stand alone in the weather.

As for the LPP vs the Chamberlain vs the WS...Formidilosus, can you expand on your point about them being at different levels of warmth etc.?

Wanna see if I chose correctly, can still switch out.

Thanks!

Insulation/warmth level. Manufacturers do not make this easy, for some reason in general they don’t want to advertise the insulation amount to be able to compare items. “Puffy” is a very broad term.

The LPP is a synthetic jacket that uses 3.6oz of Apex insulation. That is the same as the 20 degree Slick sleeping bag, but the bag has two layers. The Kifaru WS is just under 9oz of a mix of down and synthetic insulation. The Chamberlin is close to 11oz of 850 fill. It isn’t any different than a sleeping bag- if two bags have similar construction but one has half the insulation fill weight, it won’t be as warm as the other.

I rank them by warmth for absolute comfort when comepletly motionless for hours when wearing a lightweight wicking layer (Aerowool 150) and a light to mid fleece (Patagonia R1) underneath, and a wind shell over (obviously the WS doesn’t require one)-

LPP- 35-40 degrees.

Sitka Kelvin Down WS- 25-30 degrees

Chamberlin- 15-20 degrees.

Again, that’s based on multiple people using each piece (or comparable) side by side absolutely MOTIONLESS. Wearing any of them moving, even slowly, completely changes that. In my opinion with puffys you really have to go off of what is the coldest that you want to maintain absolute comfort in a true stationary position. Then think of it like a sleeping bag minus 10-15 degrees. I.e. If a certain fill weight in a sleeping bag is good to 20 degrees, the same fill weight in a jacket is good to 30-35 degrees at best. It won't be as warm as a bag due to reduced efficiency and heat transfer, as well as more air leaks. I think one reason why there is so much confusion with insulation and warmth is that very few people actually remain motionless in truly cold conditions. Especially hunters. We have never seen anyone else sitting motionless and glassing for hours in November/December when it's below 20 degrees. They are all sitting in the truck, or slowing moving.

Last edited:
These two aren't in the same category. The Cerium is a lightweight insulation layer that will not provide much wind/weather resistance (I have one). The Kelvin WS is a relatively heavy and burlier jacket that will block wind and be very moisture resistant.

I can toss a Patagonia Houdini shell over the Cerium for another 4 ounces and it can be a pretty featureless but versatile combo. For late season a lot of people aren't going to be backpacking so the extra features are more likely to be worth the weight on stuff like this.

WG,
thanks for the response. I guess that is why the Cerium has my attention because I bring a light weight rain jacket already. So, If its windy or rainy I can throw the rain jacket over the cerium for wind/rain proof. the rain jacket and cerium combined still weigh less than the Kelvin WS. This will be used mostly for packing in so wight is a factor to me. However, the kelvin WS is more durable and I do like the gore windstopper.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Fantastic, thank you for the breakdown! It looks like I chose the 'midroad' option. I could switch to the Chamberlain, but I think maybe layering underneath would be more for me, in terms of flexibility. Sounds like maybe for me, the Chamberlain may be a bit too much of a good thing. I don't get out into the teens too often, and when I do, it's blind hunting where I can bring extra stuff to layer underneath, and where it will warm into at least the 20's and probably more as the day goes on, so the ability to strip off stuff is good.

Thanks again for the info!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
WG,
thanks for the response. I guess that is why the Cerium has my attention because I bring a light weight rain jacket already. So, If its windy or rainy I can throw the rain jacket over the cerium for wind/rain proof. the rain jacket and cerium combined still weigh less than the Kelvin WS. This will be used mostly for packing in so wight is a factor to me. However, the kelvin WS is more durable and I do like the gore windstopper.

The temperature difference between those two are vastly different. They’re not remotely in the same class- there’s probably a 20-30 degree variance between them.

The temperature difference between those two are vastly different. They’re not remotely in the same class- there’s probably a 20-30 degree variance between them.

Formidilosus,

Wow i didn't realize it was that big of a gap. So, if you are saying the Kelvin Down SW is a 25-30 degree, are you saying the Cerium is better suited for temps in teh 40's? I guess with the 850 down and fairly large baffles I assumed it would be warmer then that. This could change my decision.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Formidilosus,

Wow i didn't realize it was that big of a gap. So, if you are saying the Kelvin Down SW is a 25-30 degree, are you saying the Cerium is better suited for temps in teh 40's? I guess with the 850 down and fairly large baffles I assumed it would be warmer then that. This could change my decision.

Yes. Completely stationary, with the under layers I stated- it’s about a 40 degree puffy. Maybe.

The Cerium Lt. has 3.3oz of insulation... The Sitka KD WS has three times the insulation. The Arcteryx is a great piece for its niche, but it and the Sitka Kelvin Down, am day the Chamberlin aren’t in the same niche.

This is is why it’s a misnomer to say “warm for its weight”. That literally doesn’t tell anyone anything. You have to look at total fill weight first, then what kind of fill, then look at the face fabrics to get an idea of how warm a puffy will be.

Formidilosus,

Great insight and thanks for the technical info. I am leaning toward the Sitka KD WS. I currently have been using the First Lite Uncomphare(spelling) puffy the last 2 years on my backpack hunting trips. And although some of the hunts have been in early season, a lot of morning glassing sessions are in high 30's/low 40's with stiff wind. The First Lite puffy with a base layer just isn't quit cutting it. After an hour or so I am cold. I think the extra 10oz is worth it to me to be warm.

I'm in the same boat.
Spent a cold trip in the uncompadre and trying to decide between the Kelvin and Chamberlain.
Wish sitka did the Kelvin in a solid.