What non-hunting brands have you found for hunting that have become ‘go-to’ pieces ?

I use a bright as hell orange puffy made by Patagonia. Pulls double duty as an orange requirement, and as a warm piece of gear.

cutup75

FNG
I love my OR gators, puffy pants, and cirque pants. EB guide pants when hot out. I’ve switched to salomon trail running shoes last fall. Sealskin socks when wet or cold, and don’t laugh but Lululemon metal vent tech t shirts, long sleeves and hoodies. (My wife is a store director) she’s found me blaze orange in all flavors. They are lightweight, they breathe well and are comfortable. I still have a few FL, Kuiu, and Sitka things but my OR, Salmon and Lululemon stuff are my go to pieces.

CAH

FNG
Does anybody use the lined guide pro pants from eddie bauer? Looking for a late October pant for Idaho this year. I have two pairs of the guide pro pants for early season and I love them so far. Just wondering what others would suggest for a October elk hunt in Idaho.

idcuda

WKR
Does anybody use the lined guide pro pants from eddie bauer? Looking for a late October pant for Idaho this year. I have two pairs of the guide pro pants for early season and I love them so far. Just wondering what others would suggest for a October elk hunt in Idaho.

The lined guide pro pants are great. I've used those for a few years in November hunts and even later while bird hunting. I ski in them sometimes, too. I just picked up a pair of the $20 lined Wranglers at wally world yesterday, so we'll see how they compare. They only have one leg pocket, which is a bummer.

mnaylo3

FNG
Old Mountain Hardwear monkey man fleece (older fuzzy one, not gridded) makes a great mid layer

Love the Costco UB Tech pants for pretty much anything active. Hiked all over glacier National Park in them. I found a pair in drab green last trip that I planned to wear with base layers as necessary, but they seem a bit too noisy for whitetail archery. Anyone found anything more quiet without spending a ton?

Last edited:
I use Union bay and Wrangler nylon pants. I live by the USGI wool glove liners and their wool taboggin. Have for years and can't understand why anyone would buy the first light or Kuiu version when you can buy these for $5/pair. I use the Military Gen IV goretex rain gear. Light, compact, and it works. Cheap too. I bought a whole set for less then $60. I use minus 33 merino and Gen IV, level two polyester base layers. I just dye them olive green so I don't get my head blown off when wearing them in the woods. Honestly, I mostly quit buying hunting gear a while ago. It is over priced and the camo is too dark

Where do you typically purchase these surplus items?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Wolfey

FNG
Eddie Bauer downlight jacket and some of their hiking pants and high route fleece hoody I like a lot. I like the Brynje mesh baselayers when it's cold and I want a fast drying baselayer. Patagonia r1 pullover is my go to midlayer and a melanzana high loft hoody is a more insulated midlayer I love when treestand hunting whitetail deer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

n8saki

FNG
Arcteyx Atom LT Hoody - Have 2 of them M for standard and L for layering - nothing else comes close for insulation
Patagonia Nano Vest - Same thing have 2 - if my core is warm I'm way good and there is less material on my arms for archery.
Bulletprufe Jeans - Haven't got pants yet due to these gems. Not water proof, but I don't hunt in snow just yet.