Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite hoodie comparison

Whitty

FNG
Hello folks,

I'll be chasing mule deer in Wyo at 7,000-8,000 feet the 3rd week of October and have my clothing system pretty nailed down except for a second layer. Looking at the First Lite Sawtooth, Sitka Core Heavyweight hoodie, and the Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 hoodie. I'll have a merino baselayer, primaloft vest, and puffy but want a hoodie second layer that can be used as a outerlayer if it's warmer and function as another layering piece when glassing or if it's cold. Durability and comfort are key...anyone have experience with the above pieces?

thanks!

mcseal2

WKR
The Sawtooth is good, I like it very much. It has to be fairly cold for me to hike much in it, and it doesn't stop a lot of wind. The Chama is a good piece to for when its warmer. I prefer First Lite to other brands for merino

After trying a bunch of the fleece ones I ended up with the Kuiu Peloton 240. I did a review not to long ago on here you could find. I don't like hoods that zip clear up to my nose, and most of them have that.

The Sitka Core LW hoody is a great piece too. I find that it is great for warmer hunts when I need something for sun, or just a bit more than a Aerowool base layer. It wouldn't be warm enough for your hunt but if you end up with a Sawtooth this would be a good option to add down the road for warmer hunts.

The KUIU peloton 240 is more of a comparison to the Sitka core heavyweight. And the new first lite Klamath is probably the most comparable to those two. I have the new Klamath and I think it’s an awesome piece. The peloton is a good piece too. Don’t have an experience with Sitka.

The Klamath is a quarter zip and you can get in with a hood or just a collar. I really like it so far, and think it will be a pretty versatile piece layered with a vest for big temp changes earlier on in the season. Then as the weather changes I will layer under and over it to fit what I need. Im a big vest guy versus running a full jacket for early season.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I wouldn't be looking at merino for a mid layer. I love merino as a next to skin base layer, especially on multi-day hunts. But as a mid layer it offers almost no advantage to a good synthetic and falls short in most categories (IMO).

sr80

WKR
I couldnt stand the sleeves on the kuiu 210, it has hardly any stretch, so good luck trying to roll them up if you wanted to.

I was looking for the EXACT thing and went with the Peloton 240 hoody. Its not too heavy but has a little wind resistance (it is WY)

OP
W

Whitty

FNG
Really appreciate the replies...I really like the looks of the First Lite Klamath that deserthunter referenced above. Moved to the top of the short list.
thanks!

I would suggest the peloton 240. It’s wind resistance alone makes it more versatile than the others. I wear it as an outer layer until it’s too cold or wet. Wind used to cut right through me and since they came out with the 240 I have been very happy and can endure a lot more wind. I’ve tried most of the mid layer type pieces from the various camo companies and used them for at least a season each and the 240 does everything any other mid layer synthetic will do and pretty much stops wind. It also breathes really well. I posted a complete list of the mid layers I’ve tried a week or two ago on another similar thread.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Like others said the 240 is great. I have the 210 3/4 zip as well . For me the 210 is too short and does not stretch, so it does not get worn as much as the 240. But I really do love all of my kuiu......after you get past the funky sizing