Alternative to sitka timberline pants?

Cdpp880

WKR
Does anybody make a pair of pants that is similar to the sitka timberline? OR, black diamond, eddy Bauer, prana....?
I tried the sitka on and really like them but the price is too much for me.
I am looking for a cheaper pair of pants that would be good when it gets colder. I have a few pair of of light weight pants I really like but looking for something warmer.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Does Plythal still exist? They were a sitka/first lite/under armour knock off company, don't know if they're still around. They had some pants that looked exactly like the Timberlines.

I think I am the odd man out here but I realy like cabelas stuff and have used lots of it and never had problems. They are not the lightest or what ever est but it works for me.

You're not alone, I'm a fan as well. While their designs might not beat out FL, Sitka, or KUIU, they do put thought into their pieces, typically use quality materials, take cues from industry leaders, have kickass sales, and an even better return policy. And you can stop in the store to try things on or grab something day-of if conditions or requirements change. I'm not going to sell my fancy gear to replace it with exclusively Cabelas stuff, but Cabelas definitely has a place in my lineup. YMMV.

jspradley

WKR
Cabela's higher end gear is legit. Price is right too.

REI has softshell pants too and they seem pretty good, never worn them but checked them out in the store and all REI gear I have used has been quality. Awesome return policy too if you dont like them!

REI Co-op Activator Soft-Shell Pants - Men's 30" Inseam | REI Co-op

Also, your lighter pants might be just what you need if you throw on a pair of merino base layers under them... I've worn my Pranas down to freezing with a pair of kuiu merinos under them and they were good to go!

slowelk

WKR
Timberline's don't have insulation. Just waterproof seat and knees

I guess it depends on what you call insulation. To me, timberlines are insulated as opposed to prana zions, or something in that vein. You're right in that there isn't a designated insulating layer, but the material is insulating in itself, with the fleece-like backing.

I guess it depends on what you call insulation. To me, timberlines are insulated as opposed to prana zions, or something in that vein. You're right in that there isn't a designated insulating layer, but the material is insulating in itself, with the fleece-like backing.

Not to get all technical, but the Timberline's are fleece lined. Insulated pants are puffy pants, like the Sitka Kelvin Pant.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

I see what you are saying. They are a thicker material so your body heat won’t escape as quickly, wind won’t penetrate as easily. The timberlines I had did not have a fleece or brushed interior (previous generation I think). They would keep me from having to layer anything under or over most of the time.

excaliber

WKR
All the ones I've seen were not fleece lined. Sitka says they are a 4 way stretch fabric. The following was taken directly from Sitka's website. " The Timberline Pant is a highly technical 4-way stretch polyester spandex pant with double reinforced waterproof/breathable nylon ripstop knees and seat with articulated knee pads that are removable" Were you thinking about the grid fleece in the 90% pants?

Not to get all technical, but the Timberline's are fleece lined. Insulated pants are puffy pants, like the Sitka Kelvin Pant.

My favorite pants hands down are Kuiu Attack pants. They are very versatile for weather, especially with the side zips. They are cheaper than Sitka, but not cheap either. They are fairly durable, although they will show some wear after long treks. I have torn only one pair on a sharp branch, but that is it. I have several pair in solids to wear at work since they are so comfortable. Those show no wear and I have had them for 3 years.

And I forgot, I also have the Firstlite pants, but they are not as versatile as the Attacks. I wish FL would add zippers to their pants and jackets, it really helps with temperature regulation

Titan

WKR
It's tough to beat the timberline pants. Price wise - if you don't care about color, you can get some fairly good deals every once in a while. 10-20% off is pretty easy, either through rokslide discounts or 20% off ebay coupons. Last year there were either moss or gray ones going for 40% off or more if I remember correctly.

Puts them in line with other higher end pants.

Shrek

WKR
I sure do like my Timberlines for Montana elk season ! Pads keep the cactus and stones out of your knees and the reinforced waterproof seat wears like iron and keeps damp ground from soaking your arse. I bought mine on sale for much less than retail. Just have to look and have a little time to wait for the deals. Solids are often on sale. Mine are moss colored. I only have two but that’s all I need.