what is closest to the first lite uncompaghre from sitka?

ianpadron

WKR
Kelvin Lite Hoody.

Not very warm and not very light.

I've had/have both and wouldn't recommend either.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
bojangles808

are you saying you wouldnt recommend the uncompaghre either? i like how it packs up nice and can throw it in my pack when traveling but i thought it would be warmer too. last trip i did it was in the 20s/high teens at camp at night and i was cold just sitting around eating dinner. i had on a aerowool long sleeve base layer, chama hoody, core heavyweight hoody, uncompaghre vest, uncompaghre jacket and was still a little chilly. i thought i would have been a little warmer with all that on and i didnt like the hood either. i know its not a 900 fill down jacket for static hunting but i thoght that it would have been enough with all those layers. my buddy had less layers on and the kuiu kenai and wasnt as cold. the kenai just doesnt pack up very well

ianpadron

WKR
The Kenai doesn't pack as well but it is lighter and warmer. Especially with a shell over the top.

I sold my uncompaghre after freezing my butt off in it with temps in the 30s.

If you want to maximize warmth/packabilty, I'd be looking at Arcteryx or KUIU. Can't beat down, and in cold enough temps to warrant a good puffy, synthetics aren't necessary anyway.

Synthetics just aren't that warm compared to down until you get into the Climashield stuff, and those definitely don't pack well.
are you saying you wouldnt recommend the uncompaghre either? i like how it packs up nice and can throw it in my pack when traveling but i thought it would be warmer too. last trip i did it was in the 20s/high teens at camp at night and i was cold just sitting around eating dinner. i had on a aerowool long sleeve base layer, chama hoody, core heavyweight hoody, uncompaghre vest, uncompaghre jacket and was still a little chilly. i thought i would have been a little warmer with all that on and i didnt like the hood either. i know its not a 900 fill down jacket for static hunting but i thoght that it would have been enough with all those layers. my buddy had less layers on and the kuiu kenai and wasnt as cold. the kenai just doesnt pack up very well

KurtR

WKR
you guys must run cold i wear the kelvin active with the core heavy weight down in the teens here and unless wind is blowing 30 mph i stay nice and warm glassing. The kelvin l is like a furnace on me i wear that ice fishing alot and dont get cold

excaliber

WKR
What are you using instead?
I find the Kelvin lite close to perfect for under my outer layer jacket. I looked for a long time trying to find an insulated hoody that was warmer and lighter. I also needed a durable fabric that could handle being stuffed into a pack and could handle the abrasion of being put on and pulled off under a jacket. I also wanted a hunting colored garment.

I could find lighter hoodies but the outer fabric was a bit too fragile. I could find better warmth but the color choices were lacking and they were pretty close to the same weight. I looked at Acteryx, Rab, Outdoor Research, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer etc.

At just over 17 oz the Kelvin lite has a pretty nice balance of warmth, weight and toughness with the outer fabric and colors for hunting.

I could not find this anywhere else. I'm curious what you like better as I'm always looking for an upgrade.

Kelvin Lite Hoody.

Not very warm and not very light.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kelvin Lite. And I have several from Under Armour, Patagonia, Canada Goose and Kryptek. Find the Kryptek Aquillo is the best I’ve used in camo and is on sale now at krypteks site. If you don’t need camo get a Patagonia down sweater or mountain hardware ghost. I like them better than others.

ianpadron

WKR
What are you using instead?
I find the Kelvin lite close to perfect for under my outer layer jacket. I looked for a long time trying to find an insulated hoody that was warmer and lighter. I also needed a durable fabric that could handle being stuffed into a pack and could handle the abrasion of being put on and pulled off under a jacket. I also wanted a hunting colored garment.

I could find lighter hoodies but the outer fabric was a bit too fragile. I could find better warmth but the color choices were lacking and they were pretty close to the same weight. I looked at Acteryx, Rab, Outdoor Research, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer etc.

At just over 17 oz the Kelvin lite has a pretty nice balance of warmth, weight and toughness with the outer fabric and colors for hunting.

I could not find this anywhere else. I'm curious what you like better as I'm always looking for an upgrade.
I run the KUIU Kenai, and will upgrade to the Kenai Ultra now that it has been released.

I also really like my Sitka Kelvin Ultralite (without hood).

ianpadron

WKR
you guys must run cold i wear the kelvin active with the core heavy weight down in the teens here and unless wind is blowing 30 mph i stay nice and warm glassing. The kelvin l is like a furnace on me i wear that ice fishing alot and dont get cold
Yeah that's crazy LOL

If I wore the Kelvin Lite ice fishing, I would turn into a human popsicle and I even consider myself pretty hot blooded