Columbia OutDry Ex Eco Tech Shell Rain Jacket

ironmike

FNG
Looking for waterproof breathable shell. At 67 I take it slow and shed/ add layers as needed. I don’t weather the cold like i used to and wear a goose down coat, hence the need for waterproof breathable shell. Columbia does not appear to be hunter friendly since they don’t do camo. But they have black. Anyone have feedback on the outdry or maybe a better system that wont advesrely affect my retirement $ thanks

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu, Mountain Hardwear and Columbia have all been using Outdry in their gloves. I have a pair of Columbia shoes with Outdry, and they are absolutely waterproof. I'm sure that the jacket will keep you dry.....I personally wouldn't want a black one for hunting. Most of the Columbia jackets dont' have pit zips either.

You can't go wrong with a rain jacket from Mountain Hardwear, Outdoor Research, Marmot etc.....

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
Columbia is very much pro-hunting and fishing! They do the realtree type camo thing for their hunting line but that's better than nothing!

I'm not a big fan of their upper tier rain shells, they are super nice and work really well but they are just fugly and feel kinda weird IMO

OP
I

ironmike

FNG
Thank you guys for the feedback. Just what i was looking for. Glad to hear they support hunters. I like to vote with my $$$. Yeah, the black would require me to add another light layer, so not appealling. But its on sale for $99 now! What about SKRE?

Looking for waterproof breathable shell. At 67 I take it slow and shed/ add layers as needed. I don’t weather the cold like i used to and wear a goose down coat, hence the need for waterproof breathable shell. Columbia does not appear to be hunter friendly since they don’t do camo. But they have black. Anyone have feedback on the outdry or maybe a better system that wont advesrely affect my retirement $ thanks

Columbia Has a hunting line, they are hunter friendly. They just don’t have a big market hold. They own outdry, Mountain hardware and Prana.

I have the outdry stretch reversible in dark green and also the puffy(teal). Had great luck with both. I don’t know if it would take a bunch of Pacific NorthWest type brush busting though. I have never used it that way. CO/NM etc yes

OP
I

ironmike

FNG
Thank you for your help with this. Hard to find breathable that lasts. Outdry appears to not need the revitalization that gortex does but hard to decifer all the different products. Reviews appear mostly paid by the mfrs. so thanks rokslide & you guys...

Thank you for your help with this. Hard to find breathable that lasts. Outdry appears to not need the revitalization that gortex does but hard to decifer all the different products. Reviews appear mostly paid by the mfrs. so thanks rokslide & you guys...

You can’t get it to wet out. I wear one of my shells(yellow) wade fishing the coast a bunch, between running across Baffin, Aransas , CC bay and wading, it’s been abused and always kept me dry.

I wouldn't not buy a great rain jacket that's on sale just because it's not camo. I wore a black columbia rain shell, black rain pants, and had deer walk within 15 yards of me while I stood motionless in a little meadow. Granted, I was hunting a burn where black snags are common, but I'd prioritize function to cost ratio over color scheme. In the end you'll be more happy with a jacket that works well, then one that looks good.

Benjblt

WKR

I just picked up a Columbia Outdry jacket (it's new version i bought from the Columbia Employee Store). Did you get one?

Benjblt

WKR
Online how would I know which is the new version?

They have so many versions. . I can't even find the one I bought online. I think it may be so new it didn't come out online yet. It's called the Davis Strait Jacket. (there may be an acronym in there as well) It weighs just over 12 oz, the sweet spot for backpack hunting I think, has pit zips, and seems to have enough room for layering. The only thing I dont' completely love is that the best color I found was a "mint-ier" green color. It looked like it was $180 regularly.

OP
I

ironmike

FNG
Thanks, im having a hard time putting my hands on any model at this point. REI has been clueless as has columbia’s online helpline. Thanks again

OP
I

ironmike

FNG
Thanks guys, pulled the trigger on amazon, outdry grey/titanium hybrid. Wirried the hybrid part might not be outdry ... the whole jacket is outdry. I couldn’t be more happy with this light weight shell. A bit noisy but it keeps you dry. Down pours going on in big D now and I’ve been high and dry throughout! I have a mesh camo “ mosquito” jacket which will work for waterfowl. My goose down fits under it perfectly. This thing really breathes well. Cut marsh grass for blinds in misting rain and trudging along in hip boots I could tell the moist body heat exhaust was working. Pit zips helped immensely. And for backpacking super light. Thanks again for all of your feedback. No more wetting out!!!