Question about layering for wind

I'm currently running aerowool base, peloton 240 mid, puffy, and rain gear. I was out last weekend in not terribly cold weather but really high wind in moist air (coastal CA). I had my base and the 240 over it. I got a little chilly when I'd sit. It wass to warm to put on the puffy.

I'm thinking of adding another softshell layer to wear in these kind of conditions. Maybe something like the Guide or even the new Rubicon jacket? Not sure if Id be better off with a heavier outer layer or running another fleece mid under the 240. I'm thinking the Rubicon might add some increased water resistance, too.

This is somewhat important to me because I'll be in NE WY in october (coolish wind and a little moisture).

If you're looking for the lowest cost and lightest option, I would just throw your rain jacket on when the wind is killing you. Next lowest cost/lightest option would be to buy a long sleeve windshirt from an outdoor clothing mfg and wear it under your 240. A windproof softshell is a relatively expensive, heavy, bulky solution if you don't need it for any reason other than wind, but if you decide that's for you because of moisture then I would go for the lightest, thinnest thing you can find. KUIU Rubicon looks promising, Sitka Mountain Jacket is tried and true. I have no idea if the FL Corrugate is windproof or not, but the Catalyst is supposed to be.

Wind will suck your heat off of your body and out of your layering system due to convective heat loss. So, you want to put something that blocks the wind, and moisture, over your insulating layers. My preference for an outer layer is something that does not insulate but does block the wind and moisture. You can use a non-insulated softshell, but I prefer to use my non-breathable rain jacket as it excels in that role. A breathable rain jacket can still let the wind and moisture through if it is blowing hard. or if it is fitting tightly against your body or layering system.

Sitka windstopper products like the Jetstream or you could run something simple like the OR Ferrosi wind shirt in between layers.

If you want to buck the wind a softshell is not the way to do it. Put on your rain jacket or get a wind shirt.

NorthStar

FNG
The 240 is supposed to be a wind shirt with the bonding process and the rubicon is just a stripped down guide jacket. Put your rain jacket on, man.

240 is a really good piece but is more like a mid-layer than a wind shirt and is really warm for it's weight. It is not a true windstopper though. I wore the 240 a lot last year because it was light and warm and the hood is nice. It'll slow down the wind, but Windstopper it is not...