OR rocky mountain vs verglas gaiters

I'm wanting to add a pair of gaiters to the kit and am trying to keep a good balance of performance vs cost. Main focus is to keep pant legs dry and keep pants from snagging on brush, sticks, etc.

I think I am pretty settled on OR. I don't like buying gear twice and try to balance performance and cost. I wouldn't mind Kuiu yukons as they get pretty good reviews, but there could be some durability tradeoffs. Plus my 17" bare calf may be too big. I rarely read anything bad about OR gaiters.

Anyway, what are the real world differences between the Rocky Mtn High and the Verglas from OR?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
The Rocky Mountain gaiter won’t keep you dry, they are simple nylon gaiters. Very tough though and breathable.

Can’t speak of the other one you got.

OR crocs are known and dependable

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
After going through a few pairs of cheap gaiters I decided to spluge. Any purchase >$50 or so I do major research.
As mentioned above, rocky mountain gaiters aren't waterproof which was my #1 requirement.
If you're calves are big, go to REI and try on OR expedition crocodiles. They are big enough for mountaineering boots. If forced to complain the only one would be the size for how long, I'm more like 15" calf, size 10 boot.
The camo ones are only available through military buyers or 3rd party. Got mine new on eBay for $90, $150 retail.
If it's hot and dry where you are then ignore everything I've said.
Between the 2, go with Verglas. Otherwise exp. Crocs are absolutely bomber

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
Thanks for the clarity on the RMH. That means I'm going up market.

The warranty at OR is a big plus to me.

I wasn't aware the crocs were even made in multicam. Too bad they draw a high price on ebay.

I'll stop by rei and try some on. I have a few weeks to decide and buy.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at each and picked up the Sitka Thunderhead for this season. Always been a huge fan of OR and crocodile is great but noisy.

Trial153

WKR
I have a pair OR crocks that been excellent. Very pleased with them.
I picked up the latest verison of the Sitka storm front gaiters and i have about two weeks on them and like them even better. They have kept all the positives of the old version and made improvements, ditching the zipper and going to a heavy gortex top, the bottoms are more ergonomic for lack of better word...they really protect your boots.

Mike7

WKR
I have the same size legs and the large sized OR gaiters all fit me fine.

I also have the Verglas gaiters. They are a good lighter weight alternative to the Crocs, but not as durable. I think that the Verglas are probably about as durable as the Kuiu Yukons, but breathe a little better in my opinion. I use the Verglas under my pant legs in wet weather to keep them from getting torn and to keep my boots/socks/feet dry when going through waist high wet brush. I don't wear rain pants generally when hiking, because they are either too hot and bulky and/or tear too easily going through brush. I do put on ultralight zip-on rain pants if I stop to sit/glass, and then the wet thighs on my pants dry out.

For drier or warmer weather, I just use OR Flex-tex gaiters or the new Kuiu soft shell gaiters (I too put these inside of my pant leg though and over the top of my socks if the weather turns wet unexpectedly, and you would be surprised how long they will keep your feet dry, by not having wet pant legs wick water down your socks into your boots.)

For upland bird hunting, I use the more durable Crocs outside of my pant legs because I am not generally walking through tall wet brush, and they keep your lower pant legs from getting torn, muddy, and caught up on things.

OP
silverbullet555
Thanks for the insight and great info.

Silly question, do you really care if gaiters are camo vs black?

OP
silverbullet555
Tried on the crocodiles at REI. With shorts on, the mediums actually fit but were on the skin. The large had room for layers and the xl were to big.

What's the ideal fit?

Last edited:

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Tried on the crocodiles at REI. With shorts on, the mediums actually fit but were 9n thr skin. The large had room for layers and the xl were to big.

What's the ideal fit?

On color, short answer is no. They're usually muddy anyways, but if available in camo without spending more than a few bucks I'll go for it.

TO ME ideal fit is the top will be below the knee above the thick part of the calf so they stay up. On the boot I like to keep them as low as possible and with these I had to loosen the buckle more than normal to achieve where the top fits.

I have mediums too. Took them through the ringer the last 4 days and couldn't be happier

OP
silverbullet555
On color, short answer is no. They're usually muddy anyways, but if available in camo without spending more than a few bucks I'll go for it.

TO ME ideal fit is the top will be below the knee above the thick part of the calf so they stay up. On the boot I like to keep them as low as possible and with these I had to loosen the buckle more than normal to achieve where the top fits.

I have mediums too. Took them through the ringer the last 4 days and couldn't be happier

Thanks for the info and perspective. It sounds like the medium is a hair short based on your description?

I didn't look at length that much when I was at REI. I think I'll put on some layers and boots and go back and check again. I'm thinking the large will be the right size.

tracker12

WKR
They are pricey but I like my kuiu but my problem has been fit. The large are tight for my size 11 1/2 boot and the XL is really loose around the calf. Not sure where I go from here but will most likely look at the OR gator.

Last edited:
OP
silverbullet555
I ended up ordering crocodile gaiters in desert tan. Would've preferred multicam, but the tan were much cheaper.