Kuiu Chinook pants

Oldffemt

WKR
Planning a 3rd rifle season hunt in central CO. Would these fit the bill or too warm? We will pack in a couple miles and be out the entire season. I have quality base layers. I tend to be pretty warm blooded and lived in the area I’m hunting for 10yrs so I’m aware of the weather possibilities. I just don’t have any kuiu experience. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I think you would be ok with them unless the weather is really warm. They are some of kuiu’s warmer pants and have a grid fleece lining and some wind resistance. The nice part is they also have hip vents to dump heat if you do get too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I think they are too warm for Colorado or maybe for any backpack hunt - but I think north-south makes a bit of difference (south seems a little sunnier to me but that is probably just in my head). I was near gunnison, Temps were high of 40 low of 20 and snow on the ground every day. 6 days, 6 miles in. I wore Sitka timberline and only needed to wear my 130 wt merino long johns one morning sit, I also had the Kuiu superdown pants and I would recommend those for the extra chilly days. I would have preferred my lighter Kuiu attack pants with hip vents for hiking, but I really like the waterproof knees and seat on the timberlines. For an only pair situation, the hiking would be beyond brutal imo in the chinooks (I have a chinook jacket, tried the pants on but returned them for the reasons above - they don’t really fit well into any scenario for me - I much prefer to layer my pants rather than feel the sweat roll down my legs.

Good luck out there! I’ll be out second season this year!

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Good info guys, thanks. I’m more worried about wind than the cold itself. We’ll be in North central CO. I’ve never done a backpack hunt outside of archery season though and I couldn’t even think of having this type of gear in those days. I do really like the timberlines but I’ve been told they kinda fit like skinny jeans for bigger guys. Kuiu also has alpine pants in their outlet, thoughts on those?
Good luck to you all this fall as well.

You do know they have discontinued the Chinook line, might have to go for something else unless you already have some...

ericF

WKR
You do know they have discontinued the Chinook line, might have to go for something else unless you already have some...

They have a couple sizes in the outlet for $160 down from $220 for the Chinooks. Size 34, 38, and 40 so people can still pick them up if they are the right size.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Same story with the Alpine pants which I’m considering now cause I can’t bring myself to spend the $$$ on a pair of timberlines. Any other options for a pair of lightly insulated or uninsulated pants that will stop the wind? I don’t get cold easy and have great base layers.
Thanks

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same story with the Alpine pants which I’m considering now cause I can’t bring myself to spend the $$$ on a pair of timberlines. Any other options for a pair of lightly insulated or uninsulated pants that will stop the wind? I don’t get cold easy and have great base layers.
Thanks

Skre hardscrabble.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve was looking at the hardscrabbles earlier this summer and forgot about them for some reason. That may be a really good option, thanks for the reminder!