Sitka Grinder pants, Apex hoody, and New version storm front gaitors

Trial153

WKR
Here is quick review on these new pieces . They are home runs

Grinder Pants: I picked these up in solid brown. I have 10 days of bowhunting elk on them and two days of glassing for mule deer. So far I like them.The a full four way stretch Weight wise they are come in less then the mountain paints and heavier then my old version of the ascents. They are cut more like the mountain pants.They do not fit like the tighter legs of the new ascents and the apex pants They lack thankfully lack the side and flap pockets of the mountain pants, they do have angled face pockets that act as both pocket and vents. I can see these being as replacement to the mountain pants. They run true to size both waist and length.
I would love to see another solid color and if that happens I will pick up a second pair.

Apex hoody. The was surprisingly versatile piece wore it daily for 12 days of elk hunting. it was always my second layer, I wore either a short sleeve core light weight under it or a long sleeve light weight core merino. The cooler mornings put over Kevin vest which was quickly shed. This will end up being my go too hoody for most of elk season. Its slightly lighter then the core heavy weight and cut a bit differently in the arms, a little looser then heavy weight, its less form fitting around the midsection the Core heavy and drapes way better. I ditched the elbow pads which I can't see as being functional. This breaths well, keep me warm enough when stopped and really shed heat with going up elevation. the hood is articulated and very useful, it moves with you and will fit over a cap without a problem. Though hearing isn't my song suit I can hear through this hoody without issue or feedback. Now all I need is solid color....

Someone at sitka must have been listening in this redesign . The new Stormfronts gaitors are HUGE improvements over the last version and they lowered the price. Starting at the top up. They the first thing you see is they ditched the pain in the ass zipper and replaced it with full velcro and top and bottom heavy duty snaps. The material been replaced with 3 layer goretex, the bottom is cordura with the inside wear area having a heavier section of some type pf heavy material, it s the same martial the entire old style was made out of however its on the high wear section now. They have the same strap style hows the deal is more streamline, It stays in place and won't move once its set. If they hold up as well as the originals they will be a hit. I love My Ors that have but think these will replace them permanently.

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
Thanks for the review! What would you compare the apex hoody to in regards of warmth by itself?? Midweight core ish??

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Thanks for the review! What would you compare the apex hoody to in regards of warmth by itself?? Midweight core ish??
Yes, maybe a bit warmer. More along the lines of a R1 with different material. Fits way differently then a core mid weight. Drapes in the mid section better and moves with you. Were the core mid is more fitted as base layer.

Forest

WKR
Yes, maybe a bit warmer. More along the lines of a R1 with different material. Fits way differently then a core mid weight. Drapes in the mid section better and moves with you. Were the core mid is more fitted as base layer.
Certainly like the sounds of the fit, that's my biggest complaint of the core, and why I am thinking of swapping it out for the apex. My only real concern is if it was too warm for early archery. But that season is pretty short lived here in montana ha

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Certainly like the sounds of the fit, that's my biggest complaint of the core, and why I am thinking of swapping it out for the apex. My only real concern is if it was too warm for early archery. But that season is pretty short lived here in montana ha
When it was warm I wore a short sleeve core under it thinking I would be shedding the apex, it was in the mid to low 60s. I never took the apex off.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Do you know if the Grinder pants are heavier/warmer than the Apex pants?
Yes they are slightly heavier. I would say that the grinders are on par with the mounatin pants for weight or slightly lighter.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Did the grinder pants quiet down for you after wearing a bit? Just got some and the fabric rubbing together seems really noisy. Much more so than my mountain pants. Really like the design and fit so want to make them work.

Did the grinder pants quiet down for you after wearing a bit? Just got some and the fabric rubbing together seems really noisy. Much more so than my mountain pants. Really like the design and fit so want to make them work.
My Dakota pants did, similar material to the grinders. Still a bit more noisy than the big game pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stwrt9

WKR
The Grinder pants are fairly noisy and make a swishing sound when rubbed together not exactly a pant made for stalking game when noise is at a premium. the pockets on the front double as vents to dump some heat which is a nice feature. All around a very durable pant but i certainly wouldn't be wearing these when it is warm out.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
The grinders were quite enough for me bowhunting Coues deer, I switched back and forth between them and acents pants and couldn’t tell the difference ins or far as noise.

Did you use the kangaroo pouch on the apex hoodie?

I picked one up. I like it but can’t decide if I want to keep it. That pouch seems like an ok idea but I wonder how useful it is under a pack and bino harness.

Seems like they could dump,that and cut the price a bit and still have a winner of a garment.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Did you use the kangaroo pouch on the apex hoodie?

I picked one up. I like it but can’t decide if I want to keep it. That pouch seems like an ok idea but I wonder how useful it is under a pack and bino harness.

Seems like they could dump,that and cut the price a bit and still have a winner of a garment.
I didnt use it expect for my phone and only when in there if I wa driving in the truck....I am not big on shirt pockets for anything.
As far as the pocket on the hoody, for me its a none issue as it's pretty low profile so I dont even notice it