Sitka Jetstream vs Timberline jacket

I need a good winter stopper jacket for the up coming cold Montana winds. I bought a Mountain Jacket this summer and used the heck out of it elk hunting. I've never had a wind jacket before and it's like I just found fitness or religion!

Later in the year I don't really going on any mountain hunts. Mainly just hunting the Hi-Line, spot and stalk and long sits in the wind. Hunting from the truck. Maybe a treestand sit or two but mainly ground work.

I've looked at the Timberline a lot and I like how sleek it is and the weight.

But looking at the Jetstream and knowing how bad the wind gets in Montana it looks warmer. The pit zips look great for hiking too.

How's the Jetstream for bow hunting say over a Kelvin Lite Hoody? Is it bulky?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I wear the jetstream over my Kevin active or Kevin vest without a hitch. The jetstream is my most used jacket by far. I want a fan of the mt jacket or vest. It was light weight but little else, zero warmth at all.

OP
TradLife406
I wear the jetstream over my Kevin active or Kevin vest without a hitch. The jetstream is my most used jacket by far. I want a fan of the mt jacket or vest. It was light weight but little else, zero warmth at all.
Yeah the Mountain is definitely a warm weather item! That Kelvin Active is magic!

Trial153

WKR
Only thing to watch with the jetstream was that I upsized. The vest was my regular size and jacket was one up. Mine is like 3 years old, the first updated version. So I dont know if the sizing was changed or not. I was right between my regular size and one up...

I have both and for what you are describing the jetstream might be a better option. I like the timberline for its compactness over the JS and for wearing it under a puffy to dry sweaty under layers out quickly. The JS is more like cold weather armor.
The JS isn’t much bulkier than a kelvin lite but it is heavier.
The JS also has pit zips.

OP
TradLife406
Ordered a Jetstream. Tried one on over a Kelvin Lite hoody and it's money. It should be good over the Kifaru Lost Park too when things get really bad.

excaliber

WKR
Can you elaborate how a jacket over sweaty underlayers help them dry quickly? I would think having the sweaty underlayers exposed to the elements as long as it's not wet out would help them dry out the fastest. If I'm getting that sweaty I'm not wearing a jacket. Just curious?

I have both and for what you are describing the jetstream might be a better option. I like the timberline for its compactness over the JS and for wearing it under a puffy to dry sweaty under layers out quickly. The JS is more like cold weather armor.
The JS isn’t much bulkier than a kelvin lite but it is heavier.
The JS also has pit zips.

Can you elaborate how a jacket over sweaty underlayers help them dry quickly? I would think having the sweaty underlayers exposed to the elements as long as it's not wet out would help them dry out the fastest. If I'm getting that sweaty I'm not wearing a jacket. Just curious?

If you get your wind stopper membrane as close to your skin as possible it works at maximum efficiency for breathability. If you put it over wet base layers and then throw a puffy on over the windstopper (which seems counterintuitive) it speeds up the drying process.
I tried it the first time this season and was pleasantly surprised.
John Barklow of sitka gear has been on a few podcasts describing this process better than I ever could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate how a jacket over sweaty underlayers help them dry quickly?

As I understand it, insulation layers over wet base layers allow you to use your natural body heat to vaporize the moisture in the wet clothing. As long as everything outside of the wet layers is breathable, the vapor can then escape.