SEAK jacket leaking?

Just went out for 2 days here in the Pacific Northwest with my new SEAK jacket. By the second day my elbows were getting wet, I think because they were always bent holding up binos or tripod and therefore there was pressure on the elbows. Is this normal? I read reviews from others here who talked about being out for a week before wetting out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hectocotylus
Could it be that rain was running down your arm from the inside while holding up the binos? I've never had a leak with mine.

I was wondering that but I was wearing bomb proof waterproof mitts with the cuffs over top of the jacket and cinched down. I was wearing a puffy underneath so there was pressure on the elbows the whole time. Maybe that did it.

jmden

WKR
Were you active during that time? I didn't see you mention if you were and that may be a key part of the equasion here.

None of the WB shells breathe well enough to keep you from getting moist inside them (retains sweat) if you are active. They just don't and don't expect them too. You would need to ventilate with open pit zips and main zipper etc and reduce thermal layers underneath so that you don't sweat or minimize sweating. I commonly have sweat 'pool' in my elbow area when wearing a WB drysuit and sea kayaking. The moisture put out by the body overcomes the ability of the fabric to breathe and it has to go somewhere. When hunting, if I'm active, and wearing a WB shell, I just know that I'll overpower the breathability of the fabric very soon and will either reduce activity or ventilate as best as possible.

Also, especially if you are active, if that puffy you were wearing underneath was down, switch to a fleece product or synthetic fill puffy. The down will get moist, lose its loft and insulation and be difficult to dry out. Down is best for times of inactivity to keep you warm, but don't ever let it get wet.

OP
Hectocotylus
Were you active during that time? I didn't see you mention if you were and that may be a key part of the equasion here.

None of the WB shells breathe well enough to keep you from getting moist inside them (retains sweat) if you are active. They just don't and don't expect them too. You would need to ventilate with open pit zips and main zipper etc and reduce thermal layers underneath so that you don't sweat or minimize sweating. I commonly have sweat 'pool' in my elbow area when wearing a WB drysuit and sea kayaking. The moisture put out by the body overcomes the ability of the fabric to breathe and it has to go somewhere. When hunting, if I'm active, and wearing a WB shell, I just know that I'll overpower the breathability of the fabric very soon and will either reduce activity or ventilate as best as possible.

Also, especially if you are active, if that puffy you were wearing underneath was down, switch to a fleece product or synthetic fill puffy. The down will get moist, lose its loft and insulation and be difficult to dry out. Down is best for times of inactivity to keep you warm, but don't ever let it get wet.

I was just sitting glassing. Moved around a bit but never more than 2 minutes at a time. Had a synthetic (but ancient) puffy on. On the hike down I got quite wet underneath but I’m pretty sure that was mostly sweat.

FURMAN

WKR
All breathable rain gear is going to wet out eventually. Putting pressure on the material is going to push water through the layers quicker.