Help me with insulation layers

snowplow

WKR
I have a uncompagre that l wear over my llano/chama combo with peloton 240 over top. At times l wish l was warmer (l run cold).

So l got a full zip lost park parka. I ended up getting rid of it because the belly was big and shoulders tight.

So how would you round out my system for most versatility?

I like my uncomp a lot so maybe add a down puffy? Or vest?

I have also had excellent results with all the kuiu stuff. Seriously thinking of picking up the new kenai ultra active jacket. I could wear it morelike a soft shell and layer the uncomp when needed.

What do you guys recommend? Also hood or no hood if l go with the kenai?

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I froze wearing my Uncompahgre even with layers under it while stationary, so didn't have it long. But I do love fleece as a layering asset. I love my old hooded Kenai. For stationary activities I'd add a down puffy.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Are we considering the kenai a puffy or are we talking down?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are we considering the kenai a puffy or are we talking down?

Depending on the temps, I'd use a down puffy under my Kenai. So I'd prefer the outer jacket have the hood, and a hoodless down puffy. But I run cold when I'm stationary. If I'm on the move I don't need either.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kenai under your fl puffy. I didn’t like the hood on the original kenai but the new one looks more streamlined.

Kenai can replace a mid layer while boosting a puffy. I’m going back to a base (peloton 97)+ kuiu active insulated (basically a kenai) + down jacket with hood + hard shell. That keeps me toasty when I properly layer my hands and legs.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Kenai under your fl puffy. I didn’t like the hood on the original kenai but the new one looks more streamlined.

Kenai can replace a mid layer while boosting a puffy. I’m going back to a base (peloton 97)+ kuiu active insulated (basically a kenai) + down jacket with hood + hard shell. That keeps me toasty when I properly layer my hands and legs.
This is similar to what l have in mind.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I think I'm pretty sold on the Kenai, but I'm waffling on Hood vs no hood. I'm trying to rethink my whole system. I like wearing a Merino Hood because I can hear through early well and it's like it's not even there. However, my Peloton 240 is pretty loud and I don't find myself wearing it much. I'm trying to get away from having hoods on everything cuz I'm not going to wear for hoods at the same time lol.

As of right now I'm thinking keep the Merino base layer Hood get the Kenai Hood and maybe one day get rid of the Peloton 240 Hood. How do you guys run this?

I think I'm pretty sold on the Kenai, but I'm waffling on Hood vs no hood. I'm trying to rethink my whole system. I like wearing a Merino Hood because I can hear through early well and it's like it's not even there. However, my Peloton 240 is pretty loud and I don't find myself wearing it much. I'm trying to get away from having hoods on everything cuz I'm not going to wear for hoods at the same time lol.

As of right now I'm thinking keep the Merino base layer Hood get the Kenai Hood and maybe one day get rid of the Peloton 240 Hood. How do you guys run this?

That’s the same issue I’m having with adding a down jacket to my hooded Kenai. I typically wear a long sleeve merino base layer, than a non-hooded midweight fleece, then the hooded Kenai, with a hooded rain jacket over that if needed.

I’m thinking I’ll go with a non-hooded down to keep in the pack in warmer temps, or over/ under the Kenai when it gets really cold.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Just thinking here that Kenai stocking cap looks awesome. What would the benefit be of having a hooded Kenai versus a non hooded Kenai and a warm stocking cap like that when needed? If you wear a stocking cap instead of a hood that I move with your head and the hearing issues go away really.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Actually I should add one thing. I keep hearing how dead silent the Kenai is, is having a hood an issue at all? Or is it silent like Merino you don't even really care?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kenai beanie looks to be a keeper for me. 1. It’s a formed fit so no gaps allowing drafts. 2. Nice pile fleece lining for additional warmth. 3. Product description says it has a coated fabric to block more wind and provide better moisture resistance. Not sure if the jackets have that or not. 4. It’s extremely light compared to other caps of comparable warmth. 5. Hoods are convenient but I always seem to make a swish sound when turning my head, non issue with a cap. Hoods for glassing, caps for hunting.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Yep l like that a ton. I have the peloton 240 beanie and love that too.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep l like that a ton. I have the peloton 240 beanie and love that too.

Up size for the kenai. My large fits like my medium 240 did. The fleece lining takes up some space.