Tried the Sitka Apex Shirt and Pant for the early season

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
90e2efe4414b5ae6f9989332e0b459ec.jpg

Reading all the reviews that the Rokslide staff submits gets me excited as anyone and is why I really wanted to try the Apex stuff for the archery hunt. I hunt both high stuff (8-10k) and low (4-6k) at least part of all the weeks of September, so temps from freezing to even 90 sometimes. So as September wraps up, I’ll post some feedback on here. Everything is in Opti-fade subalpine. I was comped the Hoody/pant, everything else I paid for with an industry discount

First the Hoody (I posted some of this on Sitkas website too)
4465887aa403d9bc8c29bf0ec773ce85.jpg

I spent 15 days in September in temps from freezing to 75 on Idaho archery deer hunt. The Hoody wore very well. No damage or fading (washed/hang-dry 4 times).
2b2861541d83205a62f679e3b9ca9f8f.jpg

Paired with the merino core lightweight LS top for baselayer , functioned well in those temps. Dries fast.

Not super warm but good for active hunter. I would use a jacket over both for stationary glassing in the colder temps or breezy.

Smell not a problem but I did wash every 3-4 hunting days. Only problem was elbow pads would rotate off the elbow on occasion and I needed to adjust back in place. But man when you need to lean on an elbow, they are sweet as sugar.

The kangaroo pocket wasn’t needed for me but I didn’t regret that it was there. It’s pretty big and has some mesh dividers. The hoarders among us will like that pocket.
2a992bf3747ea328fd8f7b4b422073f5.jpg

I’d run the qtr zip down and put my binos inside if I needed to crawl (in lieu of a bino harness)

It has a built-in face mask in the hood that actually functions very well but like the kangaroos pocket, I didn’t use it. I run face paint on my stalks.
1fb83dc4b528dedf271df5aab4e5fac3.jpg

My thumb is on the face mask, my finger on the hood. Face mask just stays in hood if not needed and you don’t know it’s there

The hood is tight around the face but not too tight. I only ran it it on cold nights in my bag and the few sessions of cold glassing. I can’t feel my anchor point behind my ear with any hood so I flip them down when stalking

I would strip the hoody in any temps above about 50ish if I was hiking and just run the baselayer.

The medium fit my 180lb 5’9” just right. The hem of the hoody is long enough to stay in place when I glass.

e8c84088a4eaac59426ce807e8bdf628.jpg

You can see from that tag it’s “mapped” (I think that’s what they call it) with different materials, amounts in different places.
Weight is 20oz according to Sitka. It is a comfortable garment.

It is plenty quiet for bowhunting and caused me no concern in that department.

Not cheap though at $219. I’m guessing it will would last me 3-4 seasons at 15 days per season.

Apex Hoody [NEW] | SITKA Gear

I’ll post on the pants on my next post (and the core merino boxers, core non-merino bottoms, and some gloves, belt, cap, beanie).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've really enjoyed the Apex pants and shirt as well this year.

I've worn them for everything from spring turkey, to spring bear, and then fall bear and elk. Then this week a goat hunt. Very versatile and like you mentioned Robby, they are wearing very well.
7fde289810a6ad8bfa10ffe430107c2c.jpg
ba2c04b3e7d9fd93b5a9b1dca2501fb7.jpg

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I spent 2 and a half weeks in Montana in mine, be heading back up next week for another go at it. Had a bull walk up to about 7 yards with the face mask up, he couldn't figure out what I was even after I moved lol. Pants are super comfy, I like the fact that the hoody has a longer tail on it, being tall I hate shirts and tops that ride up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What’s the longest either if you guys have gone without washing them and how bad were they?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I went a week, and the pants weren't any noticeably different than First Lite pants I've worn. You know nothing is scent free, but they certainly weren't bad.
What’s the longest either if you guys have gone without washing them and how bad were they?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, now for the Apex pant (and and accessory Stealth Belt):

Same days on these as the Hoody in September bowhunting in temps from freeze to 75.

Solid pant, fit my 5’9, 180lb frame well. Pants stay down over boots and ankle like they should.

Rear hardly shows any wear even with 40+ hours seated to glass.

Knee pads needed adjusted back into pocket once but they fit like they should and are there when you kneel but hardly notice them when hiking.

Washed 4x and no loss of pattern color (Optifade subalpine). Mesh inside of cargo pockets to separate items works but I hardly need the dividers. The Cargo pocket untilzes a snap but it’s quiet enough. Pant is quiet overall. I did not get to try them in rain or even heavy dew as it was a very dry September

I ran the Sitka Core synthetic bottoms on the colder mornings but most days just the pants were enough.

c57de858926df287ce961f9b3df4857f.jpg
bce606bcf8b80b256e5bfed33fe6b2c4.jpg

Apex Pant [NEW] | SITKA Gear

I did run the Sitka Stealth Belt with these pants. Belt loops fit the belt just right.

I’d read some bad reviews on the Sitka Stealth belt and that it doesn’t stay tight. I knew Sitka would stand behind it and I needed a washable belt, so I bought it.

After a few days use, I was about to agree with the reviews until I noticed I had the Sitka logo on the buckle facing inward and the tail of the belt running on the outside. I flipped it around and wala!!! The belt stays tight. Seems that it’s made to run the tail between the belt and the body to keep it tight. I had hardly a problem after that, even carrying a .38 Rossi pistol on it

These pics show how the belt should be worn:
ae19128a60f1413e6bfc796961c58a91.jpg

3a0e538d19ed994de2c73ed048decbb0.jpg

You do have to finagle a bit to get the tail fed back under the belt, but once set, hardly have to touch it again

Stealth Belt | SITKA Gear

Last edited:
I ran the pant all of August and September in CO. I was chasing goats on the prairie and elk in the mountains. I really enjoyed them. In the past Septembers I've ran the old ascents, attacks, tiburons, and alpines. Out of all of them, I liked the apex pants the most for my application. Mostly spot and stalk. I would overheat in the others, other than the tiburons. For once, I don't plan on trying out another pair of pants next September. I might even use them for 1st rifle season here in CO. I'll have those and my timberlines. Which pant I wear will depend on the temperature.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know how they do on that 2nd season hunt. I was wondering myself how late I’d dare go with these.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Haven’t forgot about this thread. I’ll wrap it up with my thoughts on the gloves, Merino boxers, and non Merino bottoms

e81578e4e7401040b863f1813ce8aed9.jpg
3fc77b57ff922c2993904553c3ff88f0.jpg
f2ccdf7c3b5b859522e127d8b52339e7.jpg

038f21b1f100f39d6ad1eeaff3a12f57.jpg

Merino Glove | SITKA Gear
This is their Merino glove. Large fit me well as large a should. Wore about 15 hunting days, no holes and will go another season. Fit and well with a release. Could be a touch longer in wristcuff, as occasionally I’d have to pull the cuff up my wrist (toward my elbow) but not really a problem. Good for typical September weather. Did not affect my POI when shooting a release. Believe it or not, I’ve had some gloves affect POI beyond 40 yards. Touchscreen capable and allowed me to use my onX on an iPhone.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5cacc83e9dbe975b9f085c82bfc34a34.jpg

These are the Core Merino Boxer
Merino Core Lightweight Boxer | SITKA Gear
a369b3e18670cffc6b2571ef9adc087e.jpg

Mine are medium and for my 180lb, 5’9” frame well. As I wore these during all my rifle hunts and my sons muzzleloader hunt, ended up near 30 days on these. Happy to say their fully intact, no holes and the scent control is tops. These remind me why I’m so glad Merino wool made it into hunting clothes!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Cap is from the Ascent line.
1679deb8c8ba0b0351cdbb2bf89ae4cd.jpg

Ascent Cap | SITKA Gear
The bill is slightly shorter than a typical cap
9c44a71af6735c5d72ddf3a74f555c73.jpg

Roughly 3/4” shorter. This gives you better string clearance but I do fine with a traditional cap so it wasn’t needed for me but some will like it. It does short you a bit on the shade department, but barely noticeable.

The rear fastener is unique and at first I figured it was for weight savings but it dawned on me one day that without the Velcro, there was no snagging when wearing a hood—nice!
d04e62c8a6ff85abb8494ce19bf4b1df.jpg

The cap incorporates the Polygien scent control. This is important for a cap and although I never went more than about 4 days without washing it, smell was not an issue.
b1cd7beef2b9648739999e86dc3070c7.jpg

Lightweight at 1.6 oz (several other caps I just weighed were 2.1 and 2.2) and dries very fast.

I’ll be wearing this cap next year

9a14ebabf8143bfb5497dac05fb84bd0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Finally, The Merino Beanie
Merino Beanie | SITKA Gear
697734cfea88d813db693997041be65a.jpg

Looks like I didn’t end up with any field photos, so stock it is.

This is on the the lighter end of their beanies and good for September. It’s 1.6 oz compared to 3.5 for the Blizzard. I think a beanie is essential for early season if you glass much as it’ll stretch your temp range and is nice for sleeping warm too. I’ve done a few hunts with a ball cap only and ended up regretting it.

happy with the Sitka beanie. Wore during glassing sessions and at night under the hood of my Apex hoodie. The snug is just right. No wear showing yet.

Last edited:

sloveless

Lil-Rokslider
My Buddy john loved his apex pants this last season. picked them over his Ascent pants most of the time. I just haven't worn out my Ascents and timberlines.... I'd be hard to justify another pair, but the Ball cap you're using is a winner.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a lightweight Outdoor research ball cap I've been using off and on for about 6 years. It doesn't have the Velco on the back either but an adjustable strap. I love that setup, but haven't found something similar in Camo.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for chiming in sloveless.

I forget to mention the The Core Merino LS and the non-Merino bottoms

Core Lightweight Bottom | SITKA Gear
&
Merino Core Lightweight Half-Zip | SITKA Gear

I wanted everything in my baselayer Merino but they were sold out in the bottoms so I had to take the Core in non-Merino but got the top in Merino. This turned out to be a great way to compare the synthetic to natural.

In short, the natural wins. My Core Merino top is just plain warmer. I could tell at night in my bag (the bottoms were layered over my Merino boxers mentioned above. My thighs would get cool but no cool spots in the top. Both were in lightweight.

During the day when it was warm, I didn’t overheat in my top but had to remove the bottoms. Now I almost always do remove my bottoms midday early season, but it was apparent the Merino just performs in wider temperature range than the synthetic

I also noticed that while the Polygiene in the synthetic did handle odor build-up well, it still wasn’t as good as the Merino. The synthetic had a little more smell than even the underlayer boxer Merino. Interesting.

Both had about 15 days when I put them away, and no noticeable wear.

493578e648af1e48eadecfd855bdeac3.jpg

24199eee78dc73eb77fb53ce56f45f9b.jpg

I liked the half-zip in the top. Can work as a bino harness when you have to crawl.

Let us know how they do on that 2nd season hunt. I was wondering myself how late I’d dare go with these.

Rifle seasons where I was this year in CO were very cold. Had lows in the negatives and highs in the 40's. I wore my timberlines the entire time, and a lot with a merino baselayer. There have been warmer rifle seasons in the past few years and can see myself wearing them during rifle seasons at some point.