First Lite Chamberlin Down Jacket

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used it yet? How does it compare to the Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody or KUIU Superdown Pro in terms of warmth and packability? I have the Superdown Ultra, but looking for something a little warmer for an Alberta mule deer hunt in early November. Any reviews would be much appreciated!

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a bump because I'm curious as well. Heading to Montana in December and needing a very warm down puffy that will eventually be packed on hunts.

Kotaman

WKR
Chamberlain - Warmest of the 3, but also bulkiest (25 oz)
Sitka WS - Most durable, wind and water resistant also very warm fairly bulky (27.3 oz)
KUIU PRO - Most packable, lightest (13.4 oz)

The Sitka is actually the heaviest weight wise by a couple oz. But it is because of its shell. IMO it is less "bulky" than the Chamerlain. I do not feel like I have to "baby" the Sitka. The other two don't seem nearly as durable with regard to the shell.

I wouldn't try to hike in any of the three, but for stationary work, they will all do fine with the Chamberlain being the warmest and bulkiest, followed by the Sitka followed by the KUIU.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chamberlain - Warmest of the 3, but also bulkiest
Sitka WS - Most durable, wind and water resistant also very warm fairly bulky
KUIU PRO - Most packable, lightest

I wouldn't try to hike in any of the three, but for stationary work, they will all do fine with the Chamberlain being the warmest and bulkiest, followed by the Sitka followed by the KUIU.

Is that listed in order of warmth?

Kotaman

WKR
Disclaimer: While I've owned just about every puffy jacket ever made, I have not owned the Chamberlain or SD PRO. I have handled all three jackets however. I love the Sitka due to the wind and water resistance factor.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve had the Chamberlain for two weeks. First, “jacket” should not be in the name if it really is. This is a coat in the fullest sense of the word. I’d guess it’s probably the warmest coat I own per oz. too warm for late September/early October. To me this is for stationary hunting, horseback, ATV/UTV.

Did I mention that I really like it!

Fit is great, hood works, pockets work, zipper seems tougher than the FL puffys I’ve owned.

I’ve not worn the others mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Chamberlain - Warmest of the 3, but also bulkiest (25 oz)
Sitka WS - Most durable, wind and water resistant also very warm fairly bulky (27.3 oz)
KUIU PRO - Most packable, lightest (13.4 oz)

The Sitka is actually the heaviest weight wise by a couple oz. But it is because of its shell. IMO it is less "bulky" than the Chamerlain. I do not feel like I have to "baby" the Sitka. The other two don't seem nearly as durable with regard to the shell.

Thanks for this. I haven't handled the Sitka WS but have seen the KUIU Pro. If the FL Chamberlin is significantly warmer than it must be pretty toasty. How is the durability of the Chamberlin vs the KUIU Pro?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bump, I'm curious about durability also?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m still wearing mine, taking iit on a five day hunt this week. I’ll be posting about it in that First Lite thread is clothing section.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a pic of their chamberlin in dry earth?

I like to buy my puffys and rain gear in solids so that I can wear them more often. But the chamberlin picture on their website makes the dry earth version look so ugly I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it.