Budget puffy pants

gwl79902

WKR
Looking for ideas on a cheap pair of puffy pants. I do not think it is something I would use a ton but at time it would be nice to have. I would like to find a pair that is a good price and relatively light weight. I just can not see spending 200.00 on an item like this for my use. I was thinking of some type of ski pant.

FreeRange

WKR
The army surplus pants you can find on ebay are great. Only ever use them when day hunting as they're bulky and weigh a little over a pound I believe, but they're great with full side leg zips so you can just pop them on when you sit down for a long glassing session in the cold. I think you can get them for around $30-$40.

The army surplus pants you can find on ebay are great. Only ever use them when day hunting as they're bulky and weigh a little over a pound I believe, but they're great with full side leg zips so you can just pop them on when you sit down for a long glassing session in the cold. I think you can get them for around $30-$40.

If you are referring to the gray primaloft ones, you can actually get them on amazon for $16-25 depending on size, but mine (medium) weigh in right at 32oz, so definitely not lightweight!

I also looked at the Arctix ones on amazon, but I have no idea what they weigh.

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I was looking at those too. They do seem like they would work. I was wondering andout the weight but a pound does not seem that bad. If anyone has a set and could get an accurate weight I sure would appreciate it. I will google it and see what I come up with. Thanks Free Range

Nice dog pic. I have a 11 month old french brittany he is starting to point well. I am enjoying the crap out of him and cant wait for quail to open. Going to put him on ruffed grouse tomorrow

you an normally find mountain hardware compressor pants on eBay for about $100 bucks. Ive had my pair for several year.

oenanthe

WKR
I've got some of the milsurp ECWCS Level 7 Primaloft pants - they're warm and durable but fairly heavy. Very good value.

You might also look for down pants on ebay - there are lots of Made in China down pants in the $30-40 range. I don't have any myself but I've seen a few pair in person and they are very light and very warm.

FreeRange

WKR
Mine are the PCU Level 7 pants which actually are supposed to have 3.7oz Apex in them. Weight is listed at 18oz, I checked mine once I think they're close to that. Mine are size small I wear 30x32 Levis for size reference.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is definitely different than what FreeRange has. Can you post a photo for reference?

I have the ecwcs L7 parka and have handled the pant version. They are bulky and heavy. You would need a 30 liter dry bag to hold the set, compressed the set might get down to 25 liters. My parka is 2.5 lbs size medium tall. Tag says primaloft.

FreeRange

WKR
I checked mine last night, they say primaloft on them so not the fancier version with Apex in them though those seem to be available but much more expensive. Mine weigh 24 ounces size small and take up about half of an OR 10L dry sack.

amp713

WKR
I've been wanting something for a while, really thinking I might have to get those liners.... that's a hard price to beat to test puffy pants out!

A few years back, I wanted to experiment with a puffy suit before spending the money on Kuiu. I got a jacket with some wired camo pattern through a mainstream store like Macy’s. I had a harder time finding the pant, but ended up getting them through eBay. I want to say they were around $50 shipped. They came new in packaging with Chinese writing on it, also camo. I ended up loving the system and spent the big bucks on Kuiu. The cheap set (under $100 total) I used for a season, and is still being constantly used by my buddies or my older son when hunting with me. My buddy just used it on our Idaho backcountry trip. There’s a big advantage to the full length zips on the Kuiu pants. Other than that, the cheap set works just as good, and is just as light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I ordered the old military stuff last night and will see what happens. I also got the jacket . I was thinking of a layer under something like a jetstream softshell. Or maybe in my pack during early season. Not sure but it may work ok.

amp713

WKR
I ordered the pants as well. Also anything under the medium doesnt have the buttons down the side for anyone looking to order

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
Just got my m65 nod they look great. They are short so someone may want to order the long. I may saw in a zipper in front as the big opening may let a ton of wind threw. But all and all they look great for 10bucks. Thanks JFKinYK