Need help choosing jacket Lost park parka or first lite

Blaw

WKR
Hey I am having a hell of a time choosing a jacket
This would be for november hunting. I'm based out of Calgary Alberta, Canada. temps can get as cold as -15 celsius. thats 5 'F

was looking at the Kifaru Lost Park Parka, First lite sanctuary or Uncompahgre or any other suggestions

I of course can't touch any of these or try them out so am heavily relying upon online opinions and experiences.

It would be for rifle hunting, I hunt foothills of rockies. Would love packability, does not have to be camo, and would prefer to not have down insulation

Any info would be great thanks!

I haven't had my hands on one and it depends on how you normally run hot/cold etc.
But if your going for absolute warmth I'd say the Lost park in a pull over.
Or the first lite Chamberlain.
But I'm more of a layering guy and run hot.

I’ve used the LPP and the FLU. The LPP is the warmest parka I’ve ever used but I can’t walk anywhere in it or I’d die of heat exhaustion. It also packs like a basketball half full of sand. The FLU is warm and can be packed into its own pocket.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I’ve used the LPP and the FLU. The LPP is the warmest parka I’ve ever used but I can’t walk anywhere in it or I’d die of heat exhaustion. It also packs like a basketball half full of sand. The FLU is warm and can be packed into its own pocket.

what are the lowest temperatures are you roasting in while wearing the LPP?

same question for the FLU, I am assuming you recommend it over the LPP?

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used the first lite, but I need more than the lpp at 5 degrees. Moving I’d be okay, not sitting or glassing.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The FLU is a great jacket, but I wouldn’t use it for hunting if in much brush or a place it could get caught on stuff. It is not the most durable, but is one of my favorite non hunting jackets.

The LPP is warm and as durable as they come. It is a little loud, but not a deal breaker.

Temps are personal so how I feel in them is irrelevant. I would say the LPP is one and a half to two times warmer to me than the FLU.

sr80

WKR
The FLU is a great jacket, but I wouldn’t use it for hunting if in much brush or a place it could get caught on stuff. It is not the most durable, but is one of my favorite non hunting jackets.

The LPP is warm and as durable as they come. It is a little loud, but not a deal breaker.

Temps are personal so how I feel in them is irrelevant. I would say the LPP is one and a half to two times warmer to me than the FLU.

I would agree

Put it this way i'm selling my FLU puffy because it isn't warm enough glassing in low 40's high 30's. After sitting for 30-45 minutes I start getting cold. I am probably gonna look at the Sitka Kelvin down WS.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
what are the lowest temperatures are you roasting in while wearing the LPP?

same question for the FLU, I am assuming you recommend it over the LPP?

The LPP, while a great pullover, is not a “roaster” in cold temperatures when stationary. It has one layer of Apex 3.6oz insulation. For a decent discussion look down the threads to one titled “Sitka Kelvin Down WS vs. Firstlite Chamberlin”.

Completely static for hours while wearing a light wicking base layer, and light to mid weight fleece (think Patagonia R1), complete comfort is about-

LPP- 35-40 degree

Firstlite Uncompahgre- 45-50 degrees

This is multiple people wearing/testing both side by side.