Big box of First Lite-review

MIKEYB

WKR
Pretty Hard to follow all the podcasts as that media seems to be over saturated at the moment. Didn't realize you were on so many, although I have heard you on a couple. *cough* Avery Adventures *cough*

I also enjoyed following you or the many Roksliders' live/semi-live hunts. Hell some of my favorites are the heavily pictured after the fact hunting stories.

I mean How can we ever have a chance at being "legendary" IF we cannot follow "The Legend".

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Thanks Redside! I kinda got away from those as there are so many out there now, they are a ton of work, and you need cell service.

I’ve continued to film parts of all my hunts, so I have the content, just not sure if it’s with all the effort.

Back when I was doing that, people followed blogs that allowed video representation of the hunt, but now it’s podcasts and strictly audio. That’s why I’ve been on so many podcasts as it seems the best use of my time to talk to people about buck hunting.

What’s your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not going to lie...Absolutely loved the live video updates. Great entertainment.

From a pure content, educational, I have found your writing (Book and Rok Blog) to be superior. You have a great way of covering a variety topics in a short and concise manner.

My issue with podcasts these days is that there is so much “other” talk that I don’t care about. Sometimes we are over an hour of content. Really would like to see some of these be cut into a series, similar to how you do your Rok Blog.

Not sure on the amount of work, but maybe intertwine the content you get from the field into a series of Rok Blogs in the off-season. Fill in with podcasts....

Just my two cents.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll consider it all.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, let's get this jacket and gloves part of the review rolling.

The Jacket: *3/26/19 update: First Lite gave this Jacket a name and released it to the public: https://www.firstlite.com/brooks-down-sweater-preview.html

Jacket is my term, as FL is calling this piece a "Sweater". To me, a sweater is something my wife makes me wear to the Christmas party, is knitted by grandma, and isn't windproof. This garment is none of that...Who knows, maybe the definition is changing but I'd tell FL to think of another name. Once I got over the nomenclature issue, I found this new piece is going to be a hit. Why? Let me count the reasons:
1) Light (I'll get you a weight later today).
2) Very compressible (as it's thin)
3) Warm, like virtually all down garments I've worn
4) The Large it me very well in the hood, chest, arms, and length (size medium, I'm 180lbs, 5'9", with short legs, longer torso), but I wear a medium in the Uncompahgre, so not sure what's up with that difference or even how Callahan knew to send me a large as we did not discuss it.
5) Made for a complete layering system when combined with my Fuse baselayer (medium wt), on the skin, this "sweater" above that, and the Uncompahgre Puffy as my outlayer. I also ran it with their Boundary Stormlight Jacket when hiking, leaving the Uncompahgre in the pack. With these four upper garments, I'd estimate the system will take an active western hunter into sub-zero, stationary to mid-teens (rough estimates).

Here's some pics:
d6dd6cf75c774855329e0d3c9787f1af.jpg
9802b794668a1b4faf5b1798ee55f15d.jpg

I like the extra length in the back, not cumbersome but there to cover you when you sit down

The hood is roomy and stays out of my vision. It has a brim and it works, but I prefer a 360 degree brim, hence the Stetson Crushable. This hood is so thin with justjust the down filling that I was able to wear my Stetson over top of it. It kept the side of my face warm, but allowed me my 360 brim. Other hoods have more filling in them won’t allow my that, at least very well.
17e34e062397fb43524d4444bdcebc36.jpg

8f7091a32152d2f7e8844286eab13a6f.jpg

640d96be6ea9ca3c6b0fdbb16d37342a.jpg

It’s a super simple garment with two zippered side pockets of medium size on the outside, and two internal (no zip on that, so really only for gloves/hat—it would lose your phone).
0a887734692bb30e11acdb19d92e83c9.jpg

I did have one zipper failure, actually just the gripper pulled open and let the rope extension loose. I fixed it easily with the Leatherman. Remember these are still in pre-production so hopefully that is something FL is working on. I really don't know if these are YKK zippers or not, hopefully Callahan can clarify.

b2940789892530089deaa8d3d4d4b30d.jpg

19ca5b7eec27689f4c0a23b171f0c9b1.jpg

“Sweater” over the Fuse, under the Stormlight shell. Temps upper 20’s, did 1200’ and about three miles that day. Regulated sweating and overheating by hunting slow. On a few pushes, I either unzipped both garments, or took the outer shell off.

Last edited:
Robby - any issues when running multiple garments that both have hoods? Have you run the Sawtooth previously? Wondering how that compares to the new "Sweater" - just thinking through my set up as its it same as what you were running - exchanging the Sawtooth in place of the "sweater". Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby - any issues when running multiple garments that both have hoods? Have you run the Sawtooth previously? Wondering how that compares to the new "Sweater" - just thinking through my set up as its it same as what you were running - exchanging the Sawtooth in place of the "sweater". Thanks

Good question and looking through my photos, I see I didn't take any with the Uncompahgre over the "sweater" just Stormlight, but I do remember that having both hoods on with the jackets was more noticable bulk but nothing terribly bulky... and it was the pinnacle of a warm head when I pulled both hoods up.

I have not tried the Sawtooth, but I think Avery has one. We are hunting together next week and will likely do a live hunt or at least a podcast, so I'll try and remember to try those two garments together. Chime in if I forget. We should have a link to that live hunt in this thread and I'll be wearing all this FL gear, including the Chamberlan--that thing could overheat an ice cube.

I'll post on these gloves/mittens next.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jayhawkhunter,

575629f8f1a0a4cef03dd994313d2359.jpg

Sawtooth on Ryan, Sweater on me. I forgot to weigh the sweater before I came up here, but comparing it to a known 8 ounce jacket that Tanya has, we’re guessing the sweater is about 12-14 ounces. It’s much lighter than the Sawtooth, and will offer more wind protection by far. This Sweater will shed snow and a little rain, where the Sawtooth wouldn’t do as well. Ryan said with any wind at all, the sweaters gonna beat the sawtooth in warmth.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks Robby, good review.

On the earlier topic, I really like the podcasts. I can listen to them in the tractor while working. I get tired of hearing the same 10 country songs the only radio station our tractor will actually pick up plays over and over!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks mcseal!

I’m hunting with Tanya, Justin, Ryan right now (see Live Hunt Forum/Six tags, three states if interested). I’m running two pair of 2019 prototype gloves and one pair glassing mittens on this hunt but I ran them on that October buck hunt too, so about 5-10 days on each

8cd86906f7885157b0b36e4bacbaf32b.jpg

Left pair in that pic is their new insulated Soft Shell glove: *3/26/19 update: First Lite gave these a name and released them to the public. They are the the Alpine Cold Weather Glove https://www.firstlite.com/alpine-glove-preview.html
Zippered cuff for easy on/off, synthetic “wool” (like what’s in the Grizzly, Ryan says).
189b0482bd9ca9d139d8e03af0936bb5.jpg

FL sizing chart says I need large and these fit well.
They have a leather palm
c9e6f2c393a6b17401010ad277e12dd2.jpg
and seem durable. They’re fairly bulky
d3d06781308b26f2ec1e317a485a0889.jpg
but that’s what makes them warm. I’ve worn them for horseback riding and glassing down into the 20s.
8aa2f3f1d5001fa6168196fba9148adc.jpg
They have a carabiner loop for connecting to a pack and I’ve used it to hang them in the tent to dry.
No complaints.

That middle pair is designed to be a warm work glove. Leather palm, micro fleece lining. *3/26/19 update: First Lite gave these a name and released them to the public. They are the Catalyst Soft Shell: https://www.firstlite.com/catalyst-glove-preview.html
402896839a5be40b21f93993e5dee7ca.jpg

FL sizing chart calls for large and these fit, but snugly like a driving glove.
ac5088d8ec99b77fb17f7e50c038f494.jpg
Although they’re not heavily insulated, I’ve hunted the most in these gloves because they’re slim enough to allow me to put my hands in the pockets of the Obsidians. They are not warm enough for non-active hunting below freezing but if you’re hiking, they’re good below that.
8120d64ac9ec0f3ae422376488553032.jpg
I shot that deer with them on as they’re thin enough. I also cut all my firewood (hatchet and Wyoming saw, and breaking off small branches.) No holes yet. They also have the carabiner loops.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The third set is their “glassing mitten”. *3/26/19 update: First Lite gave these a name and released them to the public. They are the the Brooks Down Glassing Mitt: https://www.firstlite.com/brooks-mitt-preview.html
7fa5a5f01766a5e815e962e3cd97ae8d.jpg

5551b32cb2010d240cd6aaa39bd634eb.jpg

They are down filled and pretty darn warm. I tested them on a long horseback ride in 30-degree temps against that big soft shell glove, one of each on a hand. The mitten won. I’ve worn them multiple times since then. No complaints.
They’re a little delicate and not made for more than glassing or sitting. They’re light and pack down small as you’d expect from. Tanya is wearing them now on this hunt and says she’ll be getting a pair-uses a liner and drops a hand warmer in and she’s all smiles. Justin says they’re stupid looking but he wants a pair anyway.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the looks of those glassing mitts. Are those a prototype I don't see them listed anywhere?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like the looks of those glassing mitts. Are those a prototype I don't see them listed anywhere?

Yes Sam, all the gloves, mitten, & sweater are protypes

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update. Tanya wants to downgrade her feedback on the mittens. She said it was the Hot Hands that was keeping her warm as when she went without them this morning, she got a little cold. Disclaimer, Tanya is very hard to keep warm!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Tanya wants to downgrade her feedback on the mittens. She said it was the Hot Hands that was keeping her warm as when she went without them this morning, she got a little cold. Disclaimer, Tanya is very hard to keep warm!

What is her go to glove/mitten setup so we know where the bar is set at?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sam, tanya says “I’m still searching”.

Chris, no date yet and it’s even possible they won’t release it. I’ll post on this thread when I know more. Remember you can always subscribe at “thread tools” at the top and get a notification when we post updates

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update: the Obsidians made it 16 days with no tears. A branch went through the knee
b5c7bf6b6b7e78bc7735bf76fb418f66.jpg

They’re tougher than the old Kanabs but still not there.

I use a lot of FL tops and really like merino wool a lot. I decided to try the new FL Klameth hoody for my mid layer as poly drys much faster and its a little warmer than the Kiln hoody. Whats your guys opinions on the wool vs synthetic mid layer for backpack hunting?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I haven’t tried FL poly, but used poly for years. Worked fine but I like merino to much to go back the odor. Anyone else have more experience as a backpacker in this area?