Big box of First Lite-review

I haven’t tried FL poly, but used poly for years. Worked fine but I like merino to much to go back the odor. Anyone else have more experience as a backpacker in this area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have also noted that FL uses a anti bacteria (HeIQ treament) on the Klamath to minimize odor. I'm sure its not as good as merino wool, but I would be curious to hear from those that have used this piece more than me if it actually works or is just a gimmick.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve used Sitkas (Polygien sp?)version of that technology. It worked better than no application but not as good as Merino

twall13

WKR
For a mid layer I think the poly is fine but I do prefer Merino, or better yet a Merino blend, for next to skin. In my mind the klamath is a mid layer. My mid layers usually take a lot longer to get stinky than my base layers so I don't worry about it as much. Besides, let's face it, you aren't scent free enough to fool an animals nose, the reduction in funk is more to live with your own smell or that if your buddies and not to fool the animals. Play the wind for the animals. As a mid layer a fleece keeps the stench down enough for me but everyone sweats/stinks differently.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Robby, did you ever try the grizzly gloves? Thoughts on them vs glassing mits? I really like the grizzly gloves and remove the insulation inner in warmer temps.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Grizzlies are the hybrid mitt/glove with the wrist tether, right?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I have the Grizzlies and they are warmer, and more durable than the glassing mitts. And heavier

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
We just had our first snow of the season, and although not much accumulation, it was wet ‘n heavy. I headed out before daylight to hike some brushy ridges to scout for bucks. I wore the

Uncompahgre Puffy (in Conifer), Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket Ryan says other than the zipper, specs are same as previous ones I’ve owned. The 3 pockets are simple, one upper left chest (think phone/gps, tissue for optics)
f427e84c6be2d20bef4991b14a9277f6.jpg
and two hand-warming generous sized side pockets
dac7cfc52149e8ba509333c4ae9b156c.jpg

The wrist cuffs are snug for several inches up the arm (vs a thin elastic cuff end) blocking drafts but soft
c33f5a72adba97aa9325e3eae6e49222.jpg

I’ve always been impressed with a FL Puffy’s ability to stay dry under exertion.

Robby,
Thanks for the great review. My one question regarding the Uncompahgre jacket - some say to get a size smaller than you normally wear in an insulating layer. I needed a 2XL in the Catalyst Vaporlight rain jacket because of length but was recommended XL for the Uncompahgre because it runs large. Did you find this to be true with the size? Thanks!

dan

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
Thanks for the great review. My one question regarding the Uncompahgre jacket - some say to get a size smaller than you normally wear in an insulating layer. I needed a 2XL in the Catalyst Vaporlight rain jacket because of length but was recommended XL for the Uncompahgre because it runs large. Did you find this to be true with the size? Thanks!

dan
Dan! I missed the notify on this question. So sorry. My Uncompahgre is Medium (I'm 5'9", 180lbs), and I wore it extensively with just the Furnace top underneath, down to single digits (active hunting) and thought the fit was just right. I could put a few more layers underneath like a heavier grade merino and even a button-up and still be OK, but I don't feel it is oversized. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Dan! I missed the notify on this question. So sorry. My Uncompahgre is Medium (I'm 5'9", 180lbs), and I wore it extensively with just the Furnace top underneath, down to single digits (active hunting) and thought the fit was just right. I could put a few more layers underneath like a heavier grade merino and even a button-up and still be OK, but I don't feel it is oversized. Hope that helps.

Thanks Robby! And no problem, I saw the buck you posted and knew you were out hunting and not lurking on the internet!
I went ahead and downsized from my normal outer layer size for the Uncompahgre and it worked out great. I sat all day on New Years in 20 degree temps and snow (right outside Tucson which was weird and awesome) and stayed warm all day and never questioned the fit. Great jacket. Thanks for the reply and congrats on another great buck!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby! And no problem, I saw the buck you posted and knew you were out hunting and not lurking on the internet!
I went ahead and downsized from my normal outer layer size for the Uncompahgre and it worked out great. I sat all day on New Years in 20 degree temps and snow (right outside Tucson which was weird and awesome) and stayed warm all day and never questioned the fit. Great jacket. Thanks for the reply and congrats on another great buck!
Thanks Dan. I hope people see your post that the downsize worked.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Jayhawkhunter,

575629f8f1a0a4cef03dd994313d2359.jpg

Sawtooth on Ryan, Sweater on me. I forgot to weigh the sweater before I came up here, but comparing it to a known 8 ounce jacket that Tanya has, we’re guessing the sweater is about 12-14 ounces. It’s much lighter than the Sawtooth, and will offer more wind protection by far. This Sweater will shed snow and a little rain, where the Sawtooth wouldn’t do as well. Ryan said with any wind at all, the sweaters gonna beat the sawtooth in warmth.

Damn, that's a nice picture:)