my new glassing pants

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just received these from Nunatak (Skaha pants) new in their lineup- Apex insulated pants with side zips. I also ordered the Robic fabric as it’s light and easily sheds wind and light precip (they offer a wide variety of fabrics, including some camo). Like almost all of Nunatak’s pieces, these are fully customizable- size, length, fabric, amount of insulation, etc

I chose 2.5 Apex as that’s what my jacket is and it performs well beyond its weight.

I also chose 20” zippers (they are offered in full zip too) and very easy to get over my boots on/off.

in a 34” waist, mine weigh a very svelte 8 oz and pack very small.

I’ll be putting them through their paces in two weeks :)

I2TjDgg.jpg

hvfOa5s.jpg

U1HmAJo.jpg

gCZLOOL.jpg

I don't think there is a better combination of warmth/weight/weather resistance. Compared to the pants as MTWarden configured them, you can get slightly more insulation, reinforced seat, full zips, and a pocket in the uncompahgre pants for over double the weight.

I labored over the decision between 20" zip and full zip on mine. I think a 26" would be an ideal weight/convenience balance, not sure if Jan would do it. It seems like they use a little heavier zipper on the full zips.

I imagine these things would sell like crazy if they had a rhino tag on them.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
These look deadly! I'll be following along to see how you think these stack up long term. I'm on the search for a lightweight pair of synthetic puffy pants!

slick

WKR
Looking forward to seeing how these pan out for you during rifle season.

Wow, 8oz. for synthetic puffy pants with leg zips is amazingly light. I’m definitely interested in hearing how these work out. By way of comparison, my medium MH Compressor (full length leg zippers), pants weigh 20 oz. and my medium, Goose Feet Gear, 850 fill down (no zippers), pants weigh 7 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I debated between full zip and 20” zips too; took a chance on the 20” ones (saves weight and $)- barring snowshoes, I think I can easily get these over anything I own for boots :D

I debated between full zip and 20” zips too; took a chance on the 20” ones (saves weight and $)- barring snowshoes, I think I can easily get these over anything I own for boots :D

Glad it worked out well on that choice. It depends how long you order them too. I wear 32" inseam pants but ordered 28" skahas - shortens up the zipper length and no length is wasted bunching up on top of boots.

I'm going to need to order the jacket now too, love the options.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good point on the inseam

love the jacket too- just a ton of warmth for the weight

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mtwarden, what’s your inseam and what length did you order?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice point on inseam,i usually wear a 32 also,
what is the lead time mtwarden?

I ordered 34-36 (my waist is 32-33) I wanted to make sure they could go over different layers, inseam was 32” with 20” zippers- I ordered Robic fabric as it’s light, still pretty tough and almost waterproof

beachbunny I think it varies on orders, best to call

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t recall exactly, if you use their online deal it adds it up- the Robic fabric is a little more ( as are the zips)

well mtwarden, how are they holding up?
any doubts about the fabric or the 2.5?
i'm still looking at them,tia

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
wore them today as a matter of fact :)

I'm happy with light Robic and 2.5; but they can make them warmer and they also have some really tough multicam fabric options

what kind of temps were you working in?
i've got a kif lpp and need a bottom,so the light fabric stands up to wear?
tia.bb

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
mid 20's, but felt colder!

there is very little "wear" as these are only broken out when I'm going to be glassing for an extended time; I carry a ccf pad that I sit on, so really no way to hurt them

if you're contemplating using them on the move, I would definitely look into their more robust fabrics

mid 20's, but felt colder!

there is very little "wear" as these are only broken out when I'm going to be glassing for an extended time; I carry a ccf pad that I sit on, so really no way to hurt them

if you're contemplating using them on the move, I would definitely look into their more robust fabrics
so mid 20s you were good sitting?