my new glassing pants

My 3.6 are WARM, its the same insulation weight used in the Kifaru LPP. The robic does seem like it would be delicate but I walked through a little brush with them last week and had no issues. Might be able to have Jan add a layer of tougher fabric in the seat/knees if you want. The nice thing about Apex is if you tear em you wont lose all your insulation. I'm not afraid to get mine speckled with tenacious tape.

The 2.5 would be closer to most other commercially available insulated pants as far as insulation level.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't know, but he does a fair bit of customizing- couldn't hurt to ask

don't know, but he does a fair bit of customizing- couldn't hurt to ask

Yeah, I haven’t asked but so far every customization question I’ve had he has been open to. Anxiously awaiting my PCT jacket and I’ll probably order an apex sleeping bag soon too.

mtnkid85

WKR
Yeah, I haven’t asked but so far every customization question I’ve had he has been open to. Anxiously awaiting my PCT jacket and I’ll probably order an apex sleeping bag soon too.

Windgypsy, I saw you ordered the 34-36 waist. What is your normal pant size?

Im 6' generally 31-32ish waist. Debating if I should order the 30-32s or upsize to the 34-36. The website says they are sized larger to accommodate layering already. Id be putting them over light long johns and either Kuiu Guides or Attacks and gaiters.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m a 32 waist and went with the 34+ waist, with the drawstring adjustment they are fine- might be a small advantage with a little dead space

Windgypsy, I saw you ordered the 34-36 waist. What is your normal pant size?

Im 6' generally 31-32ish waist. Debating if I should order the 30-32s or upsize to the 34-36. The website says they are sized larger to accommodate layering already. Id be putting them over light long johns and either Kuiu Guides or Attacks and gaiters.

I wear 33-34" jeans. Mine have plenty of room to spare, more than I'd want if ever planning to wear under a rain shell.

When ordering they ask for your pant size so they could probably make however tight or loose you want. I'd call and ask Jan what he thinks but I'd probably go 30-32 if I were you.

mtnkid85

WKR
Thanks for the sizing info guys. I went ahead and ordered a pair and have a call in to get Jans opinion as well. I thought it was a little odd they don't list a 32-34 size.

Another note - I mentioned getting the 28" inseam when I typically wear a 32" jeans - these will work just fine for me but if I had to order again I would go with 30" for a little more coverage in really cold weather.

slick

WKR
Now that the General season is over; how did this work out for you? Did you have any nasty days afield with them chasing elk?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
they worked great; the Robic fabric did a great job of cutting wind and repelling light precip (snow, light rain). I was able to comfortably glass a couple of hours at a time into the teens. Underneath I had either soft shell pants and a light base layer or wool whipcord pants with a medium base layer- depending on expected temps.

they were easy to get on/off too.

the 2.5 Apex worked well for me, if you were expecting very cold temps, the few ounces extra of the 3.6 would be wort it

mine were used only for glassing, not moving- if you wanted for moving- you’d want a heavier denier fabric

these pants would also play a significant role if one was forced to spend an unplanned night out

slick

WKR
Glad to hear. I have Kuiu Kenais, but these look better as a quicker option. Kenais have to be layered under an outer layer of some sort. They’re form fitting. Customization is a great feature on the Skaha’s. Thanks for being the guinea pig on these.

Most importantly. Did you fill your tag?

Glassing pants huh?

I need a good pair of transport/transition pants.

It's so hard to find something to wear between parking the horses, and walking over to where I'm going to start glassing.

Everybody has a favorite transport pants, and a favorite glassing pants, but nobody makes a solid transition pants. How am I supposed to get from the horses to my glassing spot? Just wear my transport pants?????

I don't think so!

This is critical, a smooth and stylish transition is one of the fine details that separates the predators from the wannabees.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear. I have Kuiu Kenais, but these look better as a quicker option. Kenais have to be layered under an outer layer of some sort. They’re form fitting. Customization is a great feature on the Skaha’s. Thanks for being the guinea pig on these.

Most importantly. Did you fill your tag?

I did not. It wasn’t for lack of trying :). I did get into elk almost every trip and if I would have had a cow permit could have (would have) filled the freezer several times. I had one opportunity on a big bull- it was literally a one-ish second encounter and his reflexes simply were quicker than mine :D

What do y’all think about these for hanging out at camps at night. Maybe sitting around the fire, cooking and stuff. Will they hold up for this or would I need to go for the 40 or 70d multi cam option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I picked up some arcteryx atom lt pants for 80.00. They will be my glassing/camp/boost sleeping bag rating pants....and they are awesome.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do y’all think about these for hanging out at camps at night. Maybe sitting around the fire, cooking and stuff. Will they hold up for this or would I need to go for the 40 or 70d multi cam option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they'd be great around camp- campfire would risk ember holes in the lightweight fabrics, heavier fabrics would fare better in that regard