BlackOvis NWT Merino Wool Review, By Howard Mee

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders, please welcome guest writer Howard Mee (screen name BigSkyAdventures).

f79306568.jpg

A professional air ambulance pilot, Howard and his wife Anna of 17 years are blessed with four kids named Gracie, Jordan, Caleb, and Ryan. They live near Glacier Park in Northwestern Montana where they are very involved in their church. Howard is thankful to have been raised in a hunting family and spends as much time as possible passing on his love of the outdoors to his family. Some of their favorite outdoor activities are hiking, camping, hunting and just spending time in the mountains. Howard enjoys hunting just about anything he can and says "I'll never skip an elk rut, but mule deer have captured my heart".

PB230138.jpg

For this review, Howard put his BlackOvis NWT Merino Wool through a true torture test.

BlackOvis NWT Merino Wool Review

IMG_8350.jpg

torero93

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Howard! Thanks for the great review...been looking at this stuff for a while now and will most likely pull the trigger. My concern is that I most want the 1/4 zip hoodie any word from BO about fixing the sizing and when that might happen?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide Howard, and you had me at that first big timber buck!

Nice review too.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I called BlackOvis about the sizing issue, they said they would contact their manufacturer and get it taken care of. You can look their contact info up on their website or I can send you some contact info to follow up with. I really don't know the answer to "when". My impression was that their 2019 line would have the issue resolved.

Firehawk

WKR
Nice review! I have had the 1/4 zip shirt for over a year and have enjoyed wearing it a lot. I bought the "brown" 1/4 zip hoodie this year and it is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I like my Sitka Lt weight hoodie a lot, but this wool offers more once the temps start cooling off. Very impressed with them.

FH

Hello, I was curious if Howard or someone with experience could comment on the comfort of the Black Ovis line compared to say First Lite or Smart Wool. I have a Smart Wool long sleeve and legging that are super soft but the shirt is a bit loose fitting. I bought a pair of the Black Ovis glove liners and in comparing the 2 the Black Ovis seems a bit more "scratchy" but that could be the difference in fabric weights. I'm wondering if the Black Ovis hoody would be as comfortable as something from firstlite etc?

Thanks,
Mike

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, I was curious if Howard or someone with experience could comment on the comfort of the Black Ovis line compared to say First Lite or Smart Wool. I have a Smart Wool long sleeve and legging that are super soft but the shirt is a bit loose fitting. I bought a pair of the Black Ovis glove liners and in comparing the 2 the Black Ovis seems a bit more "scratchy" but that could be the difference in fabric weights. I'm wondering if the Black Ovis hoody would be as comfortable as something from firstlite etc?

I haven't worn a FirstLite merino top in a long time. It wouldn't be a fair comparrison as FL's gear has improved a lot since then. I can say the BO line is comfortable. I am currently wearing the short sleeve T and the long sleeve 1/4 zip approx 2-3 times a week (hunting season). IMO they are not scratchy. There definately is a difference in "softness" as the weight changes! The 230 hoodie felt like super soft.

Has anyone purchased a 3xl? I bought one 2 or 3 years ago and it was WAY too small, for me like an XL. Ultra tight and way to short to tuck in. Really disappointed.

Has this been improved?

I’ve bought some their boxers and 2 shirts. None of this stuff has been comfortable. The shirts are sized very small. A 3xl is too short to tuck in and the boxers had me feeling like my balls were nestled in sandpaper. Horrible stuff.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
enjoyed reading the review, I bought a pair of the glove liners and loved them this fall, this review helped seal the deal for me i will pick up a complete set of these base layers before hunting season comes back around in 2019

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Very good review. I have been wanting to get a set of these base layers, but my sizes have not been available. Is there a time of year when Black Ovis normally has all sizes in stock?

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Keep a look out on camofire. They have them on there often. I had to size up for the tops. Normally I'm a size L but they were too small. I bought mine in 2018 though. Might have been fixed by now?