Lack of hat options

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else feel like the industry is lacking in adequate hats?

We’ll spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on some of the latest and greatest in lightweight, warm, tough, but breathable and quick drying clothing. Yet when it comes to hats, most companies just do the bare minimum and put out trucker hats, which offer absolutely no technical qualities.

The best I’ve seen is from kuiu. They have an amazingly light and breathable flex fit air mesh hat. However, I’m not a big fan of their brand.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The 5 panel hat from first lite is kind of what I am looking for, except the fit is so odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t agree with you more.
Seems like what is available is mostly hook and loop or snap back which I hate.

n2horns

WKR
I couldn’t agree with you more.
Seems like what is available is mostly hook and loop or snap back which I hate.

Many do the cheap route with snap/hook and loop. I am a big fan of Flex Fit hats, and many times hunt in the tan or brown hat without any design o logos, just the plain color.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I hear ya Rommy. Little if any though given to a man's head. You can put a bra cup on there. Beanies are the rage. You can take comfort in the likelihood there is probably a hood or three hanging back there. Everything is a hoodie now too. Saves on r and d in the hat industry. Handy little buckets to dump ticks and debris down your neck when deployed. There is a distinct shortfall in the head covering industry.

Last edited:
I have an enormous head so search the world over to find hats that fit my MELLON.

I keep going back to these:

Sun Guide Cap | Sunday Afternoons

Hiking, hunting, fishing, beach. Anything where I need sun protection. I have a few of their Bonnie and caped models too but some work less well with packs.

Sitka stretch for cap. Got one from camofire this year, fits good. Filson duck bill cap in oiled tin cloth, waterproof and sized so no adjustments. I prefer full brimmed hats like the filson packer hat or kuiu boonie hat when hunting and only wear ball cap when raining and wearing rain gear with a hood up, the bill keeps the hood out of my eyes. The kuiu boonie with 145 wool beanie under has been pretty good in cold and wet weather untill it starts pouring then it soaks through. I asked them about making a boonie using the chugach material and a slightly stiffer brim.

snowplow

WKR
It rains here (always). Best lve found is dayone bucket hat in cowboy suede. Its amazing.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
If you want something to keep the sunoff check out Tilley hats. They are kind of expensive but made in Canada and come with an amazing warranty. The one I have is super lightweight and packable. Be warned its an old man hat and you will look like one wearing it.

As far as cold weather, idk I can never find one to keep me warm enough over extended periods of times that is also large enough to cover my ears, which mine get cold very easily.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big hat fan, and am rather sun sensitive. For archery/warm weather, I have not found better than the Sitka sun hat. I would buy a second in non camo I like it that much.

For Colorado cold, and not for looks, the Sitka jetstream hat (with silly ear flaps) has worked well and the ballistic beanie has been great when it is supper cold. A lightweight merino beanie under either really adds warmth and therefore versatility imo

snowplow

WKR
The dayone hat is goofy looking too. For cold hats l LOVE the kuiu peloton 240. Perfect all arounder. And their new kenai hat is super super warm.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Have you checked out sitka?

I have their ascent hat with is a super lightweight mesh deal.

Their normal hat is a poly stretch material with dwr

They make a windetopper hat in different varieties

They also make what I think is the warmest, comfiest puffy hat on the market.

What more could a guy need.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
The KUIU Tiburon hats are the best technical hats that have been made. They breathe so well, I wish they made them in solid. I am still looking for a Boonie in it!
The old firstlite brimmed beanie is the next best technical hat, the brim is a little to stiff.
The ultimate hat to me would be a Coups cap made from tiburon fabric.

matthewmt

WKR
I'd like a 5 panel tech from FL in some solid colors

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If u want an awesome cold weather ball hat check out the black palm tactical soft shell. Doesn't breath well but cuts the wind. I use a neck gaiters pulled up to protect my ears. Pretty legit on late hunts.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
This whole thread is spot on. The hat I've wanted is a blaze orange boonies hat made with something other than cotton.

Greg Beck

WKR
I really like my Tilley for sun protection and hot weather! My head is usually hot in the cold but my ears get cold so it's a continual battle to regulate my head from sweating and freezing my ears. What seems to work the best is a ball cap and a hood but not a real fan of that system.

Kotaman

WKR
Sitka has like 76 different hats on their website. (Granted some are the same hat in different patterns, but there's a ton none the less) If you can't find one to fit your needs there, you probably won't find one anywhere.

i would have agreed with you a year ago but the new sitka trucker fits great if you have a big head and the first lite trucker is good too. never had any luck with kuiu hats though