New Kuiu Rubicon and Guide jacket comparison

success

WKR
I was curious about the new rubicon jacket from kuiu. I couldn’t find any reviews online. I wanted an outer wind-blocking layer with a hood. The rubicon is advertised as an early to mid-season jacket, and the guide is mid to late-season jacket. There were other small differences including price: $159 v $219.

The Rubicon isn’t fully patterned. The sides under the arms are black like the inside liner. The Rubicon fit a little more loose than the guide jacket. I could possibly size down to the L. The arms were also a little longer than the guide. The velcro cuff is designed differently than the guide. The guide is definitely a warmer jacket. I feel like the descriptions were accurate for the seasons the jackets were designed for. Both seem to have an adequate dwr finish.

In the end I returned the rubicon. I felt like the jacket was not worth the $159. But the $219 for the guide is definitely worth it. The fit and finish is a little nicer and I feel like it’s a lot more jacket for the money. I know they are designed for different seasons but I feel comfortable wearing the guide by itself or layered.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
What is your height/weight for reference? I am trying to decide between a L and XL in the Rubicon. I've seen a lot of reviews that the Rubicon is better in wind and also moisture retention? I am planning on layering it over a puffy. Thanks for the review!

OP
S

success

WKR
What is your height/weight for reference? I am trying to decide between a L and XL in the Rubicon. I've seen a lot of reviews that the Rubicon is better in wind and also moisture retention? I am planning on layering it over a puffy. Thanks for the review!

66" 200lb. I've looked for reviews and couldn't find any. I based my expectations based off what kuiu said. Don't know if I believe it has better wind resistance that the guide.