Firstlite Catalyst versus Sitka Jetstream?

Billinsd

WKR
On paper and what I've read they seem to be similar. The Catalyst sounds like it has a softer exterior and is quieter. What have you all experienced? I'm looking for a jacket that is fairly warm, quiet, rain proof, and very breathable for active hunting down into the 20s.
Thanks
Bill

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't think either will be "rain proof". That's the reason I don't own soft shells, don't see the need for something that is basically a souped up windbreaker. You want something rain proof you'll have to get a dedicated rain shell. The jetstream is wind stopper, it'll hold up to light drizzle or snow, but steady rain will soak through. Not familiar with the Catalyst, but it's probably along those same lines.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Also, quiet exteriors usually mean a brushed face, which will wet out quicker and hold water longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I would compare the Catalyst to the Stratus, not the Jetstream. Depending on what kind of hunting you'll be doing, will dictate which is best IMO. As mentioned above, neither are rain proof, but the Jetstream will wick water better.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I ran the catalyst for two straight days of intermittent snow, rain, busting alders, stalking, sitting, etc from dawn to dusk last week. I hiked out 2 hours in rain just to see how it moved moisture and handled it.

Folks LOVE to hate on softshells (me included some times, but I bought this one because it seemed different) but there’s a very specific application I used this piece for - when I know I’ll be in a fleece the whole time, and there’s wind, snow/high moisture in the forecast. Basically it keeps me out of rain gear for off and on moisture days.

Things I can say about it so far.
- it’s lighter than the jet stream, which is like a kuiu guide jacket. The catalyst is a step down from there in weight.
- the hood and collar are awesome. Very, very much designed for bowhunting, as are the tight sleeves.
- brushed face in the traditional sense isn’t what I would call the material, it isn’t something that soaks moisture. DWR worked well on it.
- 12% spandex worried me. But it dries quick.
- I really didn’t get clammy in it, which is saying something for me, because I worked up 3300’ in one day with the thing. It seemed to me moving with it on helped keep it dry during the day.
- I’d want more jacket in the 20’s because this thing is like a sup’d up mid layer - you’re not getting a ton under it. The chest is looser where you could get a puffy vest under though.

Color me impressed so far, for what I used it for (paired with Uncompahgre puffy). But I don’t pack it early season, I just pack fleece, rain shell and a puffy. I wasn’t that impressed when I got it, but using it hunting really changed my mind.

B-P-UU

FNG
I ran the catalyst for two straight days of intermittent snow, rain, busting alders, stalking, sitting, etc from dawn to dusk last week. I hiked out 2 hours in rain just to see how it moved moisture and handled it.

Folks LOVE to hate on softshells (me included some times, but I bought this one because it seemed different) but there’s a very specific application I used this piece for - when I know I’ll be in a fleece the whole time, and there’s wind, snow/high moisture in the forecast. Basically it keeps me out of rain gear for off and on moisture days.

Things I can say about it so far.
- it’s lighter than the jet stream, which is like a kuiu guide jacket. The catalyst is a step down from there in weight.
- the hood and collar are awesome. Very, very much designed for bowhunting, as are the tight sleeves.
- brushed face in the traditional sense isn’t what I would call the material, it isn’t something that soaks moisture. DWR worked well on it.
- 12% spandex worried me. But it dries quick.
- I really didn’t get clammy in it, which is saying something for me, because I worked up 3300’ in one day with the thing. It seemed to me moving with it on helped keep it dry during the day.
- I’d want more jacket in the 20’s because this thing is like a sup’d up mid layer - you’re not getting a ton under it. The chest is looser where you could get a puffy vest under though.

Color me impressed so far, for what I used it for (paired with Uncompahgre puffy). But I don’t pack it early season, I just pack fleece, rain shell and a puffy. I wasn’t that impressed when I got it, but using it hunting really changed my mind.

Did you run the Uncompagre under the Catalyst or over?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Did you run the Uncompagre under the Catalyst or over?

Over - you’d really have to size up to get the catalyst sleeves over a puffy. They fit pretty similar to a grid fleece. The catalyst is like a robust mid layer, although you could put a puffy vest underneath it. For me it runs better over a baselayer because your body heat gradient is directly across the material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk