Solid Color Cold Weather Puffy

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for recommendations on a solid color (hopefully olive green ish) cold weather puffy. I'm in need of a late season insulation layer but also want to use it outside of hunting, like this years Christmas in west Yellowstone. Also, I'm not worried about giving up some weight in return for wind blocking and durability. I would have to have to worry every second about ripping the jacket. What yall got?

Budget?

I use the Kifaru Lost Park Parka. Very warm. Other than that I would check out some mountaineering companies. They have a lot of selection. I'm sure other guys will chime in on their recommendations of the mountaineering brands.

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Budget would be 400 or less I think. Could go more for perfect jacket. I've always heard the LPP was only like a 30 degree jacket with layering. Not enough for my use as I need to dip down into teens.

bates

WKR
kuiu has a grey color super down pro

kifaru lost park is a great option

then tons of options from arcteryx, rab etc

Feathered Friends has several down jackets that might meet your criteria. My favorite is the Helios which is far warmer than anything I've owned from KUIU or Sitka. It stuffs small. GREAT handwarmer pockets. A hooded version is available. Basically a long-term investment in warmth.

Helios Down Jacket Feathered Friends

geriggs

WKR
I have a Sitka Kelvin in olive green... not sure if they still make it. It is an oven but not the lightest or most packable. Its synthetic insulation not down...no hood. I rarely can wear it....too hot

Feathered Friends has several down jackets that might meet your criteria. My favorite is the Helios which is far warmer than anything I've owned from KUIU or Sitka. It stuffs small. GREAT handwarmer pockets. A hooded version is available. Basically a long-term investment in warmth.

Helios Down Jacket Feathered Friends

Kevin is giving you some great advice here!!!

Feathered Friends is fantastic gear!! Most of their stuff is made in US, a couple of items are made in Canada!! The Helios is on sale now

Bob

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Looking for recommendations on a solid color (hopefully olive green ish) cold weather puffy. I'm in need of a late season insulation layer but also want to use it outside of hunting, like this years Christmas in west Yellowstone. Also, I'm not worried about giving up some weight in return for wind blocking and durability. I would have to have to worry every second about ripping the jacket. What yall got?

The only puffys that are going to meet your warmth and durability requirements are the military PCU Level 7, and a Nunatak PCT Plus with 5oz APEX.

All all the other puffys that meet your warmth wants- like the FF, FL Chamberlin, etc. are all built for minimum weight. Durability isn’t there. The Kifaru LPP has the durability, but is not as warm as people try to make out. It’s a 35’ish degree puffy unless you put a bunch of layers on or are constantly moving.

People way way overstate how warm clothing is, especially puffys; which I’m guessing happens because either most people don’t actually use them in really cold weather for extended time, or because they are moving.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use Sitka's kelvin down hoody. The big things I really like about there's verses other brands is there PrimaLoft's Down Blend Gold insulation makes this coat super warm under cold snowy conditions and great for sitting long periods of time glassing. It also is great for traveling as it can be stuffed into a stuff sack which makes it ultra light and packable in situations where weight is key!! Only down fall is 2018 they discontinued this item but I just checked and it is available and I can get one ordered up for you.

Zbot

WKR
I've got a Sitka Kelvin and Patagonia Nano, both the hoodies....between the two of them, I'm covered in all areas :)

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up with a FF helios. I also ordered the uncompahgre in conifer because it seems like a solid deal for a mid season puffy. Thanks for yalls input!