Favorite next to skin shirt

snowplow

WKR
Been changing a lot of stuff around. My next to skin was the Llano quarter zip. I'm now thinking of the aerowool. Something really thin and fast drying as possible. Maybe even a t-shirt. What's your favorite next-to-skin shirt?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I currently wear a synthetic tshirt. I have considered swapping it out for a light merino or aerowool. For some reason I feel the need to have something under my merino base layers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I bought the FL Wick (150 aerowool) in QZ when they had their sale this year and wore it for my entire archery hunt...amazing! I've gone with synthetic baselayers in years past so have never experienced the joys of merino before. I put that shirt on every morning for 9 mornings in a row and kept expecting it to smell awful, and it never happened! On top of that, the shirt was comfortable, dried in a reasonable amount of time, and was just all-around a well thought out piece of gear.

I'm a believer in this stuff from here on out.

Ive been wearing the older Aerowool Winkin 1/2 zip since they came out. I love them.

I'd like to try the new aerowool, but this stuff holds up much beter than 100% merino so I haven't needed to replace them yet.

bates

WKR
I really like the Sitka Core Lightweight Crew LS

I prefer a synthetic next to skin on active hunts

marktole

WKR
Sitka core series, whether its synthetic or merino, light, mid, or heavy, I've had a good experience with all of it on fit and function.

Ranger185

FNG
My favorite next to skin layer is my body hair. :)

I'm wear poly most of the time, but I'm not tied to it. I'll usually keep a spare merino 160ish in my pack for the hell of it and change when needed. as long as I can put on a dry base layer, morale is high.

Beendare

WKR
My go to is the light weight merino 140-150 weight.

in early archery seasons at high elevation [low of 20s-high is mid 70's] I wear a short sleeve LW merino under a long sleeve camo merino [like KUIU] of the same weight or a little heavier. I can go 3-4 days no problem without those getting rank...even sweating hard.

My Syn base layers would gag a goat after 1 1/2 days. With merino, I use a lot less clothes. Sierra trading regularly has those merino base layers on sale cheap...the RedRam stuff is good.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The synthetic/merino blends are far more durable than 100% merino. I gave up on 100% merino after spending loads on it and getting poor returns in durability. The Black Ovis short sleeves and boxers are a blend and have held up amazingly well. Two seasons on the boxers. FL Red Desert boxers you could do one hunt then trash them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I keep going back to synthetics. I own some nice wool - FL, kuiu, ice breaker, Patagonia -but I sweat a lot and merino just seems to stay clammy for me.

My current favorite is the Sitka core lightweight. I have the hoodie and the crew and alternate those on hunts. I was actually surprised how much I liked the hood in early season.

I have tried some of the new hybrid blends yet. Maybe they are the best of both worlds.

Currently using the original areowool zip. I believe its 35% poly which aids in drying quicker and more durable. The big issue with wool even blends is they don't dry as fast as synthetic of the same weight. In a active backpack hunt where you are only using one base layer you need that bad boy to dry super fast. Wool definitely keeps odor down, but after 4 days I start smelling even in wool. I probably will try out the Sitka core light weight hoody next.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Icebreaker lightweight merino SS and LS shirts are as soft and comfortable as a new cotton t-shirt. I sold my First Lite Llano's after I got these.

mcseal2

WKR
FL Aerowool. Which depends on the temp, I sometimes use their T shirt on scouting trips or real warm hunts. Mostly it's the Wilikin quarter zip if I have plenty of hoods on my outer layers or the new hoody if I don't. I really like the new hoody and see it getting a lot of use unless its pretty hot.

I really like the black ovis merino t-shirt. I wore it a week straight in combination with the sitka light weight core hoody and that combo dries super fast and covers a wide range of temps. I have about 16 days of hunting into that shirt and it still looks new.
If you wait for it to go on sale at camofire you can get it at an incredible value.

RCL

WKR
I like the Black Ovis merino early season.
Use the short sleeve under a Patagonia R1 hoody.
Later I use the FL in a heavier weight.

DRIFIRE t-shirts have been my go to for the last few years. Haven't had a smell issue compared to other synthetics.