Super warm gloves

zacattack

WKR
Can anybody recommend some really warm gloves/mittens. My hands tend to get really cold and I’ve had a hard time finding gloves that will keep them warm other than just carrying a whole bunch of hot hands.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Sitting/glassing, If I’m moving They will stay fairly warm. Temps idk maybe 15 to 20 or colder plus winds.

twunt

FNG
Sitka blizzard mitts,
On the testing block this year for northern ab whiteails.

Or merino liner, wool mitts, inside large leather fleece lined mitts. That's my old standby.

AKDoc

WKR
Kuiu Northstar

Another vote for KUIU Northstar. I've worn them for a few years now up here, and they are my go to cold wx gloves. I'll be wearing them on Kodiak (again) next month. They are warm and water-proof with good dexterity.

ljalberta

WKR
First Lite Grizzly.

I found these way too thin when I tried them. For me, when the cold comes, at least 2 pairs of gloves are needed. A warm pair of gloves for hiking and such that you still have some dexterity. Then I have a pair of down mitts for throwing on when I'm glassing or stationary. Kuiu sells a pair, but I got mine at Costco a few years ago for about $30. They are incredible.

efnm

WKR
Where do you find them that cheap? I can't get them cheaper than $30 but probably because I live in the southwest.

Do they need to be camo? For stuff like that I'd look at mountaineering brands. Black Diamond, Outdoor Research, even REI has warm mittens that work great. They're easier to find them on sale over hunting brands as well.

For super cold glassing sessions I use either OR Alti Mitts, Black Diamond Mercury mitts, or OR High Camp gloves

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the Sitka Incinerator Mitt. They also double as a good sitting pad in warmer weather.
Sitka Incinerator Mitt
A good Mitt, that folds over to allow access to trigger finger would be my suggestion. I prefer the Sitka as it has Windstopper technology and is well insulated, but there are other similar variants out there to check out.

Firstlite Grizzly. I have worn them in single digits and been warm. Too hot to hike in, but I pack them and use them at camp or when on horseback in the mornings or evenings. They have help up very well so far.