Mixing layers. Merino and synthetic

This was my first year using merino baselayers and I really like them. I need to add some base and mid layers to give me more options.

Right now I run merino boxers, a synthetic short sleeve shirt then first lite kiln or kuiu merino as the base layer. After that I often run a basic fleece pullover.

My question has to do with mixing synthetic and merino layers to provide better temp and moisture control.

I mostly use kuiu or first lite base layers and plan to continue that. This question is less about the brand and more about the concept.

My goal is to aid in moisture wicking and also layering for warmth. I like that the synthetics are lighter which makes it better for the extra layers in the pack. I was surprised how heavy some of the merino stuff is.

Anyway, how does the layering of the two types of materials impact moisture wicking?

If synthetic is placed over merino, does it help to draw the moisture out and keep you dryer? Does merino over synthetic work better to keep you feeling dryer by keeping a dryer layer next to skin even though the merino might retain some of the moisture?

I hope I'm making sense. I have the opportunity to add some layers and want to maximize the purchases.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LitenFast

WKR
I do merino underwear and base top and bottom followed by grid fleece all the time.

I feel like the merino against your skin is great for odor control and general comfort(unless you get absolutely soaked).
Second layer I feel like grid fleece is a great option. Warmer, dries fast, and usually lighter weight

More than two layers of merino is quickly a law of diminishing returns in my opinion.

Of my first lite base and mid layers I kept my llanos, chama hoody, sawtooth, Halstead and my bottoms and just recently got rid of my Labrador and springer as I struggled to find a time when they were superior to a fleece or insulation layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
2nd the above.

Merino baselayers for everything. With a micro grid fleece, and synthetic insulation over that if needed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For archery season I always wear merino base layers and then if I need some sort of insulation layer I use microfleece mock-T's or a regular fleece jacket if cold enough. There are times when I just leave the microfleece on even though the temps warmed up to the 70's and I still stay comfortable. My merino base top gets pretty wet on my back under my pack because it's not able to breathe well, but it dries pretty quickly once I remove my pack. I tried heavier merino as an insulation layer, and it wasn't very warm for me, and weighs a lot more than fleece.

Wolfey

FNG
I've been using a Brynje mesh baselayer under a merino for better moisture management. The mesh when it gets wet still breathes unlike solid knit baselayers and dries much faster.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I seem to stay wetter longer when putting a synthetic base or tight-fitting mid layer over wool. I like wool/wool or synthetic/synthetic. My favorite is the wool blends like Kuiu has.

OP
silverbullet555
I seem to stay wetter longer when putting a synthetic base or tight-fitting mid layer over wool. I like wool/wool or synthetic/synthetic. My favorite is the wool blends like Kuiu has.
Interesting. I'll have the opportunity to test as I have wool and synthetic.

OP
silverbullet555
How do you feel aerowool from first lite compares to kuiu merino?

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
John Barklow on some podcast was recommending synth base, with a merino over that I believe to feel try (by pulling moisture through the synth into the wool), but still getting the warm when damp effect.

I'd guess the merino-over-synth system is superior for moisture and temperature management, but may not be as "cozy" on the skin and does not manage smell as well. I don't have enough experience to give my opinion.

I have worn a Wool/Poly blend under a synth grid fleece as advocated for by Snyder on Kifarucast. Was pretty happy with that setup, cooked dry under layers, stayed low on smell in 5 days, but couldn't help but wonder if the slight dampness in the wool woulda been completely gone after hiking in wet layers.

OP
silverbullet555
When I asked kuiu and first lite the question, they recommended opposite, kind of.

Kuiu recommended merino next to skin and peloton as a second layer to add warmth and also pull moisture out of the base. In short, merino blend with synthetic over.

First lite recommended aerowool next to skin and merino x over that. Essentially merino blend with merino over it.

I decided to blend it. Don't know if it will work. I planned on merino x next to skin and kuiu peloton over the top. The peloton is lighter than merino and makes it easier to pack around in your pack.Maybe not a big enough deal to worry about. Also, pants are zip off so they are easy to take on and off without taking boots off.

My main goal is to stay dry and warm. I have some peloton on the way, own some kuiu bases, and first lite merino x.

For archery season I always wear merino base layers and then if I need some sort of insulation layer I use microfleece mock-T's or a regular fleece jacket if cold enough. There are times when I just leave the microfleece on even though the temps warmed up to the 70's and I still stay comfortable. My merino base top gets pretty wet on my back under my pack because it's not able to breathe well, but it dries pretty quickly once I remove my pack. I tried heavier merino as an insulation layer, and it wasn't very warm for me, and weighs a lot more than fleece.

I completely 2nd this. For ever I used merino next to skin and Merino mid weight (230-270g) for my 2nd later. The problem even in early season archery I would get cold. After using a grid fleece over the next to skin merino I realized I was much warmer and the grid fleece drys in 20-35 minutes whereas the merino mid layer could take well over an 1.5 hour to dry. Now, I’m using this for backpack hunting where I don’t bring extra layers so drying fast is key. If you are not backpack hunting and can have extra merino that can work to.