Down Puffy Jacket

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking for a good down puffy in a solid color I can wear around town and pack down in my pack in my backpack. I'm looking for durable, light, warm option. Money is not as much of an object. I'm really looking a the Arc'teryx Cerium LT. Any of you have experience with this jacket? Any other suggestions?

I'm looking for a good down puffy in a solid color I can wear around town and pack down in my pack in my backpack. I'm looking for durable, light, warm option. Money is not as much of an object. I'm really looking a the Arc'teryx Cerium LT. Any of you have experience with this jacket? Any other suggestions?

So I bought the Cerium LT for AK. When I put it on and messed with it, the jacket felt a little too light on the insulation for me. I returned it and got the Arc’teryx Thorium AR. I’ve been happy with it. I’ve had it down to 8 degrees recently with no problems. I wear it around town, and it will pack down to a little bigger than a softball. I were to wear the Cerium LT while being active I would probably over heat and sweat, which could effect the down, something to consider. I also have a arc’teryx atom ar (synthetic down) I use if I’m going to be real active. I used it hiking recently in high winds and cold temps (in the 20s) and I stayed very warm. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kipper09

WKR
So I bought the Cerium LT for AK. When I put it on and messed with it, the jacket felt a little too light on the insulation for me. I returned it and got the Arc’teryx Thorium AR. I’ve been happy with it. I’ve had it down to 8 degrees recently with no problems. I wear it around town, and it will pack down to a little bigger than a softball. I were to wear the Cerium LT while being active I would probably over heat and sweat, which could effect the down, something to consider. I also have a arc’teryx atom ar (synthetic down) I use if I’m going to be real active. I used it hiking recently in high winds and cold temps (in the 20s) and I stayed very warm. Hope that helps.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have the same exact experience as this

tttoadman

WKR
I have the Thorium as well. I felt it was thin enough to be nice for layering, and I didn't see the extra value in the Cerium. I will combine it with my kelvin lite vest when it gets really cold.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
First Lite has one in pre-production. It's on that second page of my "Big Box of First Lite" review in the clothing forum, pinned to the top.

I have owned a north face nuptse vest and jacket Over the years. Worn them from Nepal to NYC. The vest is still in my regular hunting rotation and the jacket probably would be too if my brother hadn’t stolen it.

You can spend more but I am not sure what you get for the extra $$$. The Sitka parka has me intrigued but I just don’t know if I want to give up my nuptse.

Mt Al

WKR
I went with the Simms Downstream Insulated Jacket. Pretty spendy but got a little bit off on a sale. It has primaloft gold, a down blend of some kind. I wanted the insulated hood for glassing on miserable windy freezing days. Alone in the wind it's meh, fine around town. Under a shell: crazy warm and comfortable, you feel like your'e wearing a sleeping bag. I pack it in a small draw string bag, but will get a compression sack next season. I love it for what I bought it for, doubt its very rugged walking through deadfall, thorns, etc..

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Did you ever weigh the down jacket? It would also be nice to know the fill power and fill weight.

No, I forgot before we left town. But Tanya has another jacket here at a known 8ozs. Three of us have compared the two and estimate this FL is in the 12-14 oz range.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I love coats and go through a lot of them but for some reason I always end up reaching for my Kuiu super down. I have it in black and I just like the darn thing. The new green color they have is killer, might have to grab it too.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I love coats and go through a lot of them but for some reason I always end up reaching for my Kuiu super down. I have it in black and I just like the darn thing. The new green color they have is killer, might have to grab it too.

It just seems like they don't have enough down fill in them. 2.3oz of fill in a hooded jacket just isn't much. I was also worried about the face fabric not being durable at all. But i don't think the Arc'teryx Cerium LT is super durable either. . . The green color is killer, I would agree.

As it is I've noticed some of the old Kenai jackets with 30D Stunner Stretch pill really easy.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
No, I forgot before we left town. But Tanya has another jacket here at a known 8ozs. Three of us have compared the two and estimate this FL is in the 12-14 oz range.

Is there any way to get more info from First Lite? It would be nice to know weight for sure as compared to it's fill weight.

boom

WKR
Western Mountaineering Vapor jacket checks a lot of boxes. It's my favorite. I never leave without it.

this thing looks great!!

i wish we could drive down to some factory seconds sale and just buy one..i would stop and grab a Bahn Mi sando as well.

It really is! I ended up getting a pair of the flight pants a year after I got with the vapor jacket and let me tell ya, I,ve been extremely comfortable glassing and sitting on any ridge I've been on, since having the set. I've gone with no sleeping bag (on purpose) for a night or two in early October at 9000+ and the set worked pretty damn good. I wouldn't do it if a weather system was moving in or anything but in stable weather conditions I was all warm and comfy.