Rain Jacket Advice

Hey guys, I'm looking at some rain jackets and it's a little overwhelming. There are so many different types of materials and I really don't know what I'm looking at. If money wasn't a factor I'd probably just pick up one of the high end Arcteryx jackets and be done with it, but alas that is not the case. I do have an Arcteryx jacket that I picked up in a store several years ago for 50% off. It's one of the lower level jackets with Gore Tex packlite. It's been a pretty good jacket but I'm starting to have some issues with the zipper and I've gotten a few little holes and nicks in the jacket so I'm looking at some new options. I figure this is the best time of year to snag one at a good deal. I'm not hung up on it being camo or a hunting brand but if it is that's fine to. Are there any jackets ya'll know of that I could pick up for $200 or less right now that you have experience with. I've seen several on REI and Backcountry gear in the $150 rain but I don't know what would make one really better than another. They all seem very similar, stretchy water proof material, but don't really say what technology they're using. I know Kuiu and First Lite have or are about to start some sales so ya'll give me some pointers. Thanks

Firstlite has both the Vapor storm light and the SEAK storm tight for 40% off in their outlet, ASAT camo only (which I really like)

They are also going to have a black Friday sale next week but I don't know if those will be discounted even further.

I have both the vapor and the SEAK and I love them both but if I had to pick I'd just get the vapor. It's $180

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Chugach NX is on sale from Kuiu right now. Slightly above your budget, but a great jacket that I use up here in Alaska. If you keep an eye out on here, Ebay or the Facebook sell and trade page you will find a pretty decent deal as well. I haven't used any other breatheable rain gear so I cant speak on anything else. If your not looking at hiking much and don't need the breathability, just go with a Helly Hansen.

Yea check the outlet at Kuiu and firstlite. Then kryptek has a clearance section and I have their I think posidon jacket it's the 2 layer one with no pockets, it does it's job and packs nice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
aclawrence
Thanks, I looked at the vapor and I saw it was only a two layer jacket. I may be pulling this out of the air but I thought the standard was 2.5 layers. I like the looks of the seak jacket but it is 3.5 layers and it weighs almost 2lbs. I guess I'm looking for something a little more lightweight to throw in my pack. But I would like the added protection of the heavy jacket. Oh boy lots of decisions.

OP
aclawrence
That Kryptec Poseidon jacket is only $95! I really like the pockets on my Arcteryx though. I think no pockets will be a deal breaker.

tonedover

FNG
First Lite SEAK on order and if its as good as my other FL stuff, ill option the Vapor if its on a heavy discount soon.

OP
aclawrence
I was looking at the Kuiu but it’s the regular price of $299 in black. You have to buy one of their Camo patterns to get the sale price. That’s an interesting sales strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might jump over to Sierra Trading Post and check out the Browning Rain Slayer jacket. It's not heavy (I'm not sure of the exact weight, I haven't weighed mine), and it's more durable than the 2 layer stuff like the FL vapor light and Kryptek Poseidon (which I have, and like). It's got a pretty good stretch to it, and at your budget you could get the whole set on sale.

It's no KUIU or Sitka, but it will leave some money in your wallet for gear that gets used more often.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sixsite rain gear? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger before I go back to alaska in spring.

Jimss

WKR
I have several Marmot Precips pants/jackets from Sierra Trading that I've picked up with coupon codes for around $50 each. They are fantastic for the price. In fact, they work so good that I've bought a couple sets as backups. They are better than a lot of raingear at a fraction of the price. I've used mine on several Alaska trips for fishing and they've always worked well. For hunting I've always used my Sitka Downpours. Never failed me yet. They are super light and compact. I've had just as good luck with the Marmots and they are a lot less $. I would make sure that any rain jacket you buy has pitzips or you will get wet from the inside out!

OP
aclawrence
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up ordering an Outdoor Research Bolin jacket that was on sale on their site. Decided I didn’t need to spend $200 plus right now. It’s a 3 layer jacket and supposed to be durable for climbers etc.

OP
aclawrence
Got to test out the new jacket this weekend and it seems like a winner. I think it’s going to be a pretty durable jacket. If anyone is needing a rain jacket for less money you might want to check out the OR Bolin. If you don’t mind the red color.

A bit above your budget but I just picked up a Sitka cloudburst. On sale for $260. Got to wear it while hunting in rain the other weekend. It is a class above my light weight first lite stormtight for sure. A lot of jacket for that price.

Benjblt

WKR
Hey guys, I'm looking at some rain jackets and it's a little overwhelming. There are so many different types of materials and I really don't know what I'm looking at. If money wasn't a factor I'd probably just pick up one of the high end Arcteryx jackets and be done with it, but alas that is not the case. I do have an Arcteryx jacket that I picked up in a store several years ago for 50% off. It's one of the lower level jackets with Gore Tex packlite. It's been a pretty good jacket but I'm starting to have some issues with the zipper and I've gotten a few little holes and nicks in the jacket so I'm looking at some new options. I figure this is the best time of year to snag one at a good deal. I'm not hung up on it being camo or a hunting brand but if it is that's fine to. Are there any jackets ya'll know of that I could pick up for $200 or less right now that you have experience with. I've seen several on REI and Backcountry gear in the $150 rain but I don't know what would make one really better than another. They all seem very similar, stretchy water proof material, but don't really say what technology they're using. I know Kuiu and First Lite have or are about to start some sales so ya'll give me some pointers. Thanks

I've never worn it but I think this is a great option in a solid. Outdoor Research Foray Review | OutdoorGearLab The full side zips seem like they would be a game changer. I think backcountry.com has a good sale on them.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done a lot of rain gear testing over the last 4-5 years. IMHO, the more time one spends in rain gear the more critical it becomes. Most $200 jackets just don't have the durability and fabric technology needed for extended wet pursuits. A quick shower, or minor use is where these jackets excel. Design, material, & construction are key factors to look at when comparing options.

If you are into details here are some interesting reads:
How to Choose the Best Rain Jacket | OutdoorGearLab
How Raingear Works | REI Expert Advice
Gore-Tex & Beyond: Waterproof/Breathable Fabric Explained | GearJunkie
Access Denied
The Original GORE-TEX Product Range | GORE-TEX Brand
(This link takes a bit of clicking to wander through it, but interesting stuff)

Benjblt

WKR
I've done a lot of rain gear testing over the last 4-5 years. IMHO, the more time one spends in rain gear the more critical it becomes. Most $200 jackets just don't have the durability and fabric technology needed for extended wet pursuits. A quick shower, or minor use is where these jackets excel. Design, material, & construction are key factors to look at when comparing options.

If you are into details here are some interesting reads:
How to Choose the Best Rain Jacket | OutdoorGearLab
How Raingear Works | REI Expert Advice
Gore-Tex & Beyond: Waterproof/Breathable Fabric Explained | GearJunkie
Access Denied
The Original GORE-TEX Product Range | GORE-TEX Brand
(This link takes a bit of clicking to wander through it, but interesting stuff)

I literally just read these last week. Good stuff. I wish someone would make a video with examples and reviews on each type, and several brands, of rain jacket.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO, the brands are not as important as the fabric technology used. Some brands put it all together differently, and of course brands differ feature wise, but I feel the "fabric" is where it starts..

Benjblt

WKR
IMO, the brands are not as important as the fabric technology used. Some brands put it all together differently, and of course brands differ feature wise, but I feel the "fabric" is where it starts..

What do you think of Columbia Outdry? I just picked one up on a great deal and am hoping to see how it performs soon.

Also, what are, in your opinion the three best rain jackets for hunting?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think of Columbia Outdry? I just picked one up on a great deal and am hoping to see how it performs soon.

Also, what are, in your opinion the three best rain jackets for hunting?
I am not familiar with Columbia Outdry via personal use, but have read mixed reviews on it. It warrants more research on my end, before I can formulate an opinion on it. I started out my journey with rain gear with a bias toward cheap gear. As I moved through the process I quickly realized you get what you pay for in terms of both fabric and how it is put together.

Through my testing I found that for me, Sitka's rain gear just worked the best. Gore-Tex is an industry leader in waterproof breathable fabrics, and Sitka harnesses the full potential of that. For me, the Sitka Dewpoint is pretty hard to beat for light weight rain gear. For extended pursuits in extensive wet environments, I like the Sitka Stormfront. For colder, wet pursuits, I like the Coldfront. Sitka does a good job of designing gear to work for a hunter. Its really hard to articulate that until one spends a lot of time in the gear. Gore-Tex's R&D is amazing. They do have some legit competitors, but once I found out how well Sitka's line worked for me, I quit messing with the other stuff.

Cheaper rain gear has its place, as does the rubber stuff, but for hunting and general outdoor use those 3 lines work exceptionally well for me.
They are great blend of design, fabrication, fabric, and performance.