Kuiu Guide Pant vs heavy wool pants?

mod7rem

FNG
For those that have used both for late season deer hunting, which do you prefer? I’ve been using heavy wool pants for a lot of years for deer hunting in cold, snowy sometimes wet weather and now I need to replace them. Not sure if I should go with wool again or try the kuiu guide pant. Deer hunting for me is lots of walking/still hunting, and sitting as much as the cold will allow me. I like wool for the warmth, durability and how quiet it is, but it is very heavy when wet so maybe a change would be nice. I also use the wool pants for lynx hunting in the winter- snowshoeing then sitting over a call, then more snowshoeing and sitting. Wondering if the Guide pant might be better for this to. Thanks

Last edited:
I don't specifically have the Kuiu guide pants, but I would recommend the Sitka Timberlines to replace them. Best active hunting pants I own and wish I got out to use them more. In the Midwest I do more treestand hunting but do get out for longer, active hunts in the hills.

I too like wool, but not always as an outer layer. Like it better as a base and mid-layer.

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 pairs of guide pants. They’re great for early season. Wouldn’t be my first choice for below freezing temperatures unless you’re going to be very active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guide pants are what I went to after I got tired of using my army surplus wool pants. If you have the expensive super heavy wool you will want a decent base layer under the guides to gain the warmth you have with the heavy weight wool pants. The big advantages with the guides are breathability and hip vents, water resistance (they are far better than Sitka Timberlines here), and wind resistance where they will beat out any wool pant that does not have a wind membrane layer. I can run my guides from 40s through negative and they perform across the board. I do need a base layer when it gets below mid teens or there is alot of wind. They are the best DWR softshell type pant I have found. They allow the wide range of temperature performance because of venting and breathability of the material but at the same time when you need them to be warm they are with a base layer.

The only pant I am aware of that may beat out the guide is the new Axis pant but until they are proven the guides will be my go to. One of my main hunting partners just ordered the Axis. The Axis are supposed to be 3 times more wind resistant than the guides which should be really wind resistant.

The guide jacket has never been able to stop a slight breeze but I feel completely different about the pants which actually do really well in the wind for not having a wind barrier.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
X2 on everything Dover said since the guide pant came out I have not worn my super heavy wool pants come this time of year

LaHunter

WKR
The Guide pants have worked well for me hunting out west in temps from 0-20 degrees F. I typically am moving most of the time with periods of sitting while glassing. The Guide pants are much lighter vs traditional wool. The Guide's are adequately water resistant, but not water proof like rain gear. If your sit times will be extended and your hikes are not too far, and wt is not an issue, then traditional wool may be best. If you have found yourself heating up and sweating a lot with the wool, then the Guide Pants may be better for your purpose.

Benjblt

WKR
I have the guides. I wouldn't' say they are overly warm or durable, but they are nice. You should maybe take a look at the First Light Catalyst. I've go no experience with them.

I think you can solve any lack of warmth with a good base layer. The Peloton 97 looks interesting.

I use the Kuiu 145 zip off merino bottoms under the Sitka Timberlines. Awesome combo for temps in the teens. IMO the timberlines are much warmer than the guides and do better blocking the wind. The guides do breathe better than the timberlines, and are less "bulky". Both are good pants IMO.

OP
M

mod7rem

FNG
Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of good info to think about. I decided to go with the Guide pants and give them a try.

IMO the timberlines are much warmer than the guides and do better blocking the wind. The guides do breathe better than the timberlines, and are less "bulky". Both are good pants IMO.

I would say just the opposite. The Guides are warmer and do a better job blocking wind than the Timberlines. If I put my mouth up to the fabric and try to blow air through, the Guides win. Actually, the Sitka Mountain Pant beats the Timberlines too with that test.

eoperator

WKR
I used kuiu guide pants no base layer in montana this year. Only broke out the uncompahgre puffy pants 2 times while glassing. It was definitely easier for me to regulate temp/moisture (sweat-rain-snow) than my guide who was wearing heavy wool pants. Temps were 15-40deg

Trial153

WKR
For late season pants take a look at sitka Dakotas, brushed iner fabric is warm. They are cut nicely and move with you. Very warm for the weight. For what you described in think they are a better choice then the other sitka offerings.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have used both for late season deer hunting, which do you prefer? I’ve been using heavy wool pants for a lot of years for deer hunting in cold, snowy sometimes wet weather and now I need to replace them. Not sure if I should go with wool again or try the kuiu guide pant. Deer hunting for me is lots of walking/still hunting, and sitting as much as the cold will allow me. I like wool for the warmth, durability and how quiet it is, but it is very heavy when wet so maybe a change would be nice. I also use the wool pants for lynx hunting in the winter- snowshoeing then sitting over a call, then more snowshoeing and sitting. Wondering if the Guide pant might be better for this to. Thanks
What wool pants were you originally running?

BluMtn

WKR
Kuiu guides are solid, but only available in 34" inseam. So if you have short or long legs, you may need to look elsewhere.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would throw this out in case someone was looking at the guide pants and need longer inseams than a 34. Kuiu makes their pant hems with the capability to let them out to 35.5" and then re-hemming them. That is what I do to my Guide pants. You might want to also look at the Pnuma Waypoints, I like the look of those also.

Guide pants are outstanding for me. Adjust for temperatures by using different base layer bottoms. More comfortable than wool and lighter in physical weight.