Sitka or First Lite

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to prepare for my first western big game hunt in 2019 and wanted to start
buying clothing and gear little by little. I think i would prefer to start getting either FL
or Sitka gear, I can use it immediately through the current whitetail season.

FL has a pretty decent sale coming up that will help tremendously with the cost of this stuff...
after talking with Sitka...they do not have any plans to participate in the whole "black friday"
type sale...they even said they don't have any planned sales coming anytime soon.

So here is my question, should I go with the FL gear since I might could get 20-50% off some
of the gear or hold off a good while to wait and see if Sitka has a sale over the next 3-5 months?
Is Sitka worth waiting on or paying more for when compared to First Lite?

I will be needing ALOT of gear between now and September so I want to spend my money wisely, I
will also note that I like to buy GOOD gear and equipment, take good care of it and keep it for a long
time. I don't like replacing just to buy new.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.

tonedover

FNG
I am looking to prepare for my first western big game hunt in 2019 and wanted to start
buying clothing and gear little by little. I think i would prefer to start getting either FL
or Sitka gear, I can use it immediately through the current whitetail season.

FL has a pretty decent sale coming up that will help tremendously with the cost of this stuff...
after talking with Sitka...they do not have any plans to participate in the whole "black friday"
type sale...they even said they don't have any planned sales coming anytime soon.

So here is my question, should I go with the FL gear since I might could get 20-50% off some
of the gear or hold off a good while to wait and see if Sitka has a sale over the next 3-5 months?
Is Sitka worth waiting on or paying more for when compared to First Lite?

I will be needing ALOT of gear between now and September so I want to spend my money wisely, I
will also note that I like to buy GOOD gear and equipment, take good care of it and keep it for a long
time. I don't like replacing just to buy new.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.

BlackOvis.com will have some sitka stuff on their black Friday list - they have the past 2 years.

I personally am going full first lite. One reason is I feel that their fusion pattern is a do-all for elevated, turkey and western, however that is just my opinion. Next is that I appreciate that FL, like Sitka, their sizing is structured for layering with the outer layers having more room than say the base layers.

Finally, I feel that FL's standard prices, while high, are not as high as Sitka's and FL has 2 big sales a year where you can grab a ton of high end stuff for 15-45% off.

If you are into facebook there are trading groups there as well - certain guys can get you sitka stuff at nice discount year round . I got a 25% off coupon from a First Lite pro so I just spent a ton of cash filling out my FL kit and selling the rest of my Realtree stuff.

No matter what you choose, I will maintain that I recommend you look at First Lite's merino wool as your base layers instead of the Sitka stuff. Wool is the best base layer in my opinion. From there do any brand you like for mid or outer layers.

My hunting partner runs full Sitka and he has a really great kit and likes it.

There's just a few Sitka peices I prefer like the Jetstream jacket, vest, and the Timberline pants.

Otherwise most my other stuff is FL. I have a smattering of Kuiu also.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both companies are great companies, but some items will stand out for particular uses as you tailor the gear to your pursuit.
I really prefer pants with integrated knee pads and IMHO Sitka's Mt & Timberline pant are hard to beat, but you could easily pick up a pair in a solid color from Sitka and still go with FL if those items better fit your end game.

Black Ovis is a Rokslide sponsor and usually has great sales, as will many retailers that carry Sitka.

Just be sure to think through the below questions as you debate pieces. And solid colors can help you mix and match if you don't want to have clashing camo patterns. : )

Where are you hunting?
What are you hunting?
Backpack vs. Base camp?
What type of weather / seasons will you be going out in?

I am a huge fan of first lite. They make some bomb proof gear and then have the best customer service.

For a mixture of whitetail and western hunting here is what I would get:

-Obsidian pants
-aerowool T-shirt
-kiln hoody
-furnace Henley
-catalyst or uncompaghre jacket.

I use this set up and it is super versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run mostly Sitka. I run their clothes because they are more durable than the Kuiu that I have worn and I can get Sitka at a good discount. Like others have said they both produce high quality gear. I don't think you can go wrong with either. With that said, I couldn't imagine hunting rifle seasons when it is cold without my timberline pants and my jetstream jacket. Man those are money!

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
I run mostly Sitka. I run their clothes because they are more durable than the Kuiu that I have worn and I can get Sitka at a good discount. Like others have said they both produce high quality gear. I don't think you can go wrong with either. With that said, I couldn't imagine hunting rifle seasons when it is cold without my timberline pants and my jetstream jacket. Man those are money!

Where do you get your discounts at? Are they available to others?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am a huge fan of first lite. They make some bomb proof gear and then have the best customer service.

I dig dig quite a few things FL has especially their Aero Wool, but “bomb proof” isn’t what I would describe it as. I’ve destroyed 5 pairs of Kanabs and Obsidians in the last year. Every pair was split crotch due to stitching failing. Over half of my buddies who have the Kanabs and/or obsidians have had the same happen. FL did replace them all.

Some of their shirt and jackets have have had issues, the stitching on a couple of womens items has come apart, etc.

Still like and use their stuff, but it isn’t nearly the build quality and durability of Sitka

Sitka is the only hunting brand that is approaching the over all performance and quality of the top mountaineering brands.

ChrisAU

WKR
Since OP is in TX, I would recommend the Corrugate Guide Pants and Jacket as your first FL purchases. Save a few bucks and find some gently used on here or on the FL Buy/Sell/Trade FB. They are much tougher than the Obsidian/Kanab pants, great outer layer for southern hunting. I also wore my Corrugate Guide pants in CO. Never had to worry about tearing my pants.

I'm all FL, EXCEPT for Kuiu base layer pants. Zipping those things off without removing boots or pants is incredible for hunting.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
What hunt are you going on? I wear FL and feel like I have a pretty good and basic system for September that doesn't require a ton of gear

Guide pants (or zion pants)
T shrit
250 Kiln Hoody
Uncompahgre puffy

Thats all the clothes you need to bring along (plus darn tough socks and 2 pairs of underoos)

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
What hunt are you going on? I wear FL and feel like I have a pretty good and basic system for September that doesn't require a ton of gear

Guide pants (or zion pants)
T shrit
250 Kiln Hoody
Uncompahgre puffy

Thats all the clothes you need to bring along (plus darn tough socks and 2 pairs of underoos)

We are planning a Southern Colorado September archery Elk trip, probably up to 10-12 days of hunting

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions on the Kuiu zip off bottoms? They have the peloton 97 zip offs on sale right now... zip off feature worth buying their base layer? If so are the peloton 97 good to go, or wait till the Merino 145's are back in stock?

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
We are planning a Southern Colorado September archery Elk trip, probably up to 10-12 days of hunting

I used this exact clothing list for a september archery elk trip in northern colorado and a spring bear trip in Idaho and was perfectly comforable both trips. I did have rain gear for both as well but never used it.

Trial153

WKR
I go with all sitka, pretty much have or had every peice they make. I dont see any holes in their line up. Their company model and involment and support of conservation stands out to me. My only other peices are non hunting brands that I mix in.

I am on the fence about giveing First lite another shot. I found the base layers to on the frail side. Honestly I have had better luck with wool from icebreaker and wool power. Sizing was very inconsistent for me from first lite as well. Now all that said I haven't tried any new products from them the last two years. Their chama hoody was money.

I dig dig quite a few things FL has especially their Aero Wool, but “bomb proof” isn’t what I would describe it as. I’ve destroyed 5 pairs of Kanabs and Obsidians in the last year. Every pair was split crotch due to stitching failing. Over half of my buddies who have the Kanabs and/or obsidians have had the same happen. FL did replace them all.

Some of their shirt and jackets have have had issues, the stitching on a couple of womens items has come apart, etc.

Still like and use their stuff, but it isn’t nearly the build quality and durability of Sitka

Sitka is the only hunting brand that is approaching the over all performance and quality of the top mountaineering brands.

Man. I’ve had the opposite experience with their gear. I wore an original pair of Kanabs for 3+ years before I needed a new pair and I beat the hell out of them. I’ve been wearing the obsidians now for over a year and have put them through the ringer. Not one issue. I use them backpacking, brush busting, duck hunting, and just daily wear.
I have a Chama that is 4 years old and I can’t destroy that piece.
I have several aerowool pieces that I assumed would get destroyed just from regular wear (like their boxers) but mine are still in great shape.

I have a buddy that also likes the quality of Sitka too, but I have only tried their mid weight fleece and I really like that.

You should go to a retailer who sells the stuff and who have decent inventory so you can look at it first hand to decide what pieces you like from each brand and buy accordingly.

Spent over 20 days in southern Colorado this year. Use both.
FL underwear and base layers and Sitka everything else. Accent pants are all you need. Best hunting pants I’ve ever owned. Never wore my mountain pants. Mid weight core piece from Sitka over FL base is legit! Kelvin lite puffy for chilly mornings glassing. And cloudburst rain gear is a must! Best rain gear I’ve worn! Darn tough socks are also a must. You also need really good water resistant boots. Use the rain gear as a wind blocker over the puffy if it’s blowing and chilly. I had a Jetstream jacket and vest and never wore it.

Plenty of great deals to be had here and on Sitka buy sell trade FB page.

If you are packing in, do not skimp in a pack. You will regret it. My first year using Kifaru and it was awesome. Great belt that fits perfectly over your waist and stays snug. Plan on carrying 3L of water a day in a hydration bladder. I carried 4 and was almost empty every day. Katadyn hiker pro worked flawlessly filtering water. Used quick disconnects on hydration hose and hiker pro to bladder and fill without having to take bladder out. Keep aquamira tabs handy just in case. Cheap and light weight. Kifaru 20 degree slick bag kept me warm in the mid 30’s. Slept with it open in the 40’s.

Just thought I’d add some more gear to be thinking about. Oh, and don’t skimp on a sleeping pad. Did it last year and was MISERABLE! This year I slept like a baby!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man. I’ve had the opposite experience with their gear. I wore an original pair of Kanabs for 3+ years before I needed a new pair and I beat the hell out of them. I’ve been wearing the obsidians now for over a year and have put them through the ringer. Not one issue. I use them backpacking, brush busting, duck hunting, and just daily wear.
I have a Chama that is 4 years old and I can’t destroy that piece.
I have several aerowool pieces that I assumed would get destroyed just from regular wear (like their boxers) but mine are still in great shape.

I have a buddy that also likes the quality of Sitka too, but I have only tried their mid weight fleece and I really like that.

You are truly fortunate because none of the FL merino I've owned is intact. I was a retailer for FL for a couple of years, it was embarrassing selling guys $160 pants and the crotch blowing out the first or second hunt. They were covered under warranty, but that was inconvenient at best. Their boxers are junk, they were and still are. The Black Ovis boxers are way more durable. FL is getting better as far as durability is concerned, but I've got a over $1k worth of their gear with holes everywhere. FL base layers with Sitka outers would be a good blend, but I'll never go back to a full FL system. My Sitka stuff is still going strong after several seasons of use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk