Best camo vest

Jimss

WKR
Unfortunately I lost my old dependable camo vest on my last hunt and am searching for a replacement. I was wondering what your favorite vest is? I hunt Western US plus Alaska on a regular basis. I would like to find a vest in semi-quiet cloth camo that is wind resistant. Quick drying, relatively light weight, compact, and possibly water resistance would also be nice. I would consider down if it is somewhat water resistant and dries once wet. Thanks!

Trial153

WKR
My jetstream vest sees more use then every other vest I have combined.
That said the kevlin lite is dandy little packable peice of insulation and really provides a lot of warmth for what it is.

Jetstream is my new favorite vest.

I also use the FL puffy as an insulation layer late season.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Would the Jetstream be super warm for late season hunting....with relatively quiet cloth material? I noticed 2 Kuiu vests are currently on sale. It appears the Kuiu Super Down would be good for cold weather hunting but the material would be noisy in brush. The Kuiu Guide DCS looks good but I'm not sure if it's as warm as the Super Down or possibly the Jetstream?

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
I have an Uncompaghre vest, I love it as a layer, but I'm worried about its durability for whitetail down here? That has me looking at the Sawtooth vest, anyone have experience with both?

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Sorry brother. You asked about apples and guys gave you apples. Now you are asking about oranges.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with vests is limited but I have the Sitka Dakota vest and wear it for about everything from tree stand to spring snow goose. It is a workhorse and I don’t care if it is waterfowl Camo and I am sitting in a cedar tree. The windstopper layer is the way to go imo

I have an Uncompaghre vest, I love it as a layer, but I'm worried about its durability for whitetail down here? That has me looking at the Sawtooth vest, anyone have experience with both?

Chris, Sawtooth would be better as an outer for whitetail but the Uncompaghre is the best for warmth and using as an insulation piece.

Sage

FNG
For what you asked that you were looking for. I used a Kuiu guide vest this year and loved it. I used it on 8 day backback late season elk hunt in Oregon. Its water resistant and comfortable. I was able to use it over my puffy layer for the wind blocker or just over my fleece layer. It did a good job of cutting the wind.

I have used a bunch but think the Sitka jet stream was the best. I have the Kuiu guide now and still think the JS is better.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Uncompaghre in pine and love that thing. My primary driver in getting it over other comparable vests is that it was 30% off. Haven't had to test the durability because I really only wear it in stationary situations. If you had to walk through thick woods and briers with it I could see it getting torn up quick. I do like that when I layer over it my arms don't feel like there being stuffed into too many sleeves. It is the first vest I've ever owned and I was surprised as how much warmth it holds in

Last edited:
OP
J

Jimss

WKR
How would the Sitka Kelvin compare to Jetstream for cold weather hunting? I'm pretty sure the Jetstream has windstopper while the Kelvin has Permloft material? The Uncompaghre sounds good if it would hold up as an outer? I hunt in brush a lot so it's important that the vest is quiet cloth that won't tear.

Firehawk

WKR
Jetstream is my favorite by a long shot. So much so that I now own a solid color one to wear during the work week and casually.

FlyGuy

WKR
Mountain vest is my new favorite. I've been recommending the Jetstream, but mine is an older model OC. I haven't confirmed any of this, but it looks like my older (thinner) Jetstream Vest became the mountain vest - which is primarily wind proof; and the new model of Jetstream Vest has more insulation plus windproof. I discovered this when I decided to go subalpine. I now have both in subalpine but I found the Jetstream to be too warm for me in September. The mountain worked perfect. Blocks the wind and the back sweat evaporates very quickly if you hang it over a branch during a quick hiking break. Both are Great, just prioritize based on your primary season needs.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Another jet stream fan.

Puffy vests have their place but I don’t have and don’t know of one that is very quiet or durable. Mine get used as insulation layers or for static sitting mostly. They get ripped up busting brush and the fabrics are too noisy. In that category I ha e a kelvin lite, a Patagonia and a north face nuptse that is 20 years old. The north face is a favorite.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Just to throw in another option I have seen quite a few folks on here talk about using the FL corr guide Jacket as a protective shell as a very light outer. FL even markets it as a brush busting jacket. I'm sure that would layer very nicely over the Uncompaghre. But then you add another $120 or so to this venture.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
After considering all of the vests listed above I ended up getting a Sitka Fanatic vest. I had problems finding a vest with quiet cloth, windstopper, plus super quiet materials. The Fanatic pretty much does all of the above. It has a nice hand warmer pouch in front, zippered pouch, and another small pouch for a rangefinder attached to a lanyard. It's a tad heavier than some of the other vests but has a lot of insulation and polarfleece material that is super quiet and comfortable. It ought to stand up well to brush and work incredibly well as an outer. I look forward to putting it to the test!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that I picked it up online at Rogers Sporting Goods for $137...free shipping!